A theory on the new recruits

big10fan

I have a theory on the new recruits coming in. I think they're all "Hawkeyes" more than Lick recruits. I say this because even if (worst case scenario) we bomb again next year and Lick is removed/fired, I really don't see us losing any of the guys in the upcoming class due to transfer.
I really don't see any of these guys coming to Iowa to play "the Butler way". I see Brust and Marble as Hawks to the core, no matter who the coach is (to a certain extent, obviously). Don't know the others as well, but that's the impression I've gotten of them too. I could elaborate more, but I'll leave it at that for now.
Does this make any sense, or is it bunk?

Hard to tell, but I would tend to agree with this theory. I wouldn't anticipate any of them leaving even if Lick were to go. I think they chose Iowa because they like Iowa and want to be Hawkeyes.

OR, Iowa is the best program that was recruiting them even in our current state.

Brust has offers from Iowa, Butler, Bradley, Davidson, NW & Southern Ill.

Larson has offers from Iowa, Baylor, Colo State, Nebraska and New mexico

McCabe has offers from Iowa, ASU, Butler, Ind St, Minny and Northern iowa.

Marble is a legacy

Of all of the above schools listed above, which would you choose over Iowa?

OR, Iowa is the best program that was recruiting them even in our current state.

Marble is a legacy

honestly? if i were being un-biased and not wearing my black and gold glasses....to go play basketball and have a chance at winning....9 of them. That's sad...Iowa City used to be one of the top 15-30 places to go play basketball if you were a promising high school basketball player....all 9 that I "would" choose over Iowa at this juncture, have not, are not, and probably will not, be close to being one of the top 15-30 basketball programs on a regular basis.....maybe New Mexico....the rest.....not so much....

Marble is a legacy

Obviously there are several of the above schools that are decent. I will guarantee that Brust and Larson and Marble would have had many more offers after their senior season had they not committed and reaffirmed their commitment to the Hawks. You need to take your negative opinion to some other board. 376 post and thats the best you can do?

Marble is a legacy

My heart says NO school is better than Iowa.

My head says I would pick any other school on the list if I am going to play basketball. They all have better records than Iowa (I presume)

as for larson, baylor is a tourney team and beat texas at texas. they've turned to corner.
i am a die-hard hawk fan, but if i was a well recruited b-ball player, it would be hard to not take a serious look around at what else is available.

Marble is a legacy

I hope everyone takes a look at this and begins to see the reality of what is coming down the pipe...more mid-major talent apparently.

Marble is a legacy

I am REALLY confused by your post.

While I probably drink more kool-aid than most people on the basketball board, I have stated several times my hope for the program going forward with the current players and the incoming class. I find your comment of Iowa being the "best program that was recruiting them" to be completely off base. I don't care about the "mid-major" conotations. If a kid can play he can play.

Brust - Iowa vs Butler - Iowa - at the current time a lower level Big Ten team while Butler has been a consistent Top 25 team going to multiple NCAA tournaments over the past decade. As much as I hate to admit it - right now Butler is the better program.

Larson - Iowa vs Baylor vs New Mexico - At the present time it appears both Baylor and New Mexico have started to turn the corner to better days ahead. While I believe we will see that happen at Iowa in the near future, right now once again Iowa is NOT the better program amongst those three.

McCabe - Iowa vs Butler vs Minny vs Northern Iowa - Read the previous two players and do your own assessment as to where the Iowa program currently sits in those comparisons.

Marble - Read this article and tell me it was about being a legacy.

Roy Marble Sr. ‘blown away’ by son’s decision Doc’s Office

With this information I have to agree with the OP that the incoming players are first and foremost HAWKEYES. That will be what will make the future bright.

All of these guys committed early to Iowa, which does two things - lowers their list of offers and proves they really wanted to be Hawkeyes.

That said. there are a lot of offers you are missing in the list, several from Brust's list. One being Stanford.

McCabe's list started to explode when Iowa landed him.

I'm not going to nitpick and go name by name, list by list of offers, but to say this class is full of mid-major players is simply untrue and ignorant.

So how many years in a row are we to be told that this is the class to turn things around? Every year, the Hawkeye experts tell us that these recruits are great and every year we just keep getting worse.

I guess that's why I prefer to believe the people who evaluate players for a living that have this classed picked as 6th, 7th or 8th best in the Big 10. I've been fooled a few too many times by listening to people on this board try to claim that certain recruits are much better than their star ratings and year after year these players just aren't good enough.

In comparison to other Big 10 teams who recruit Top 100 talent and then beat us like a rented mule year after year. I'm glad these young men want to be Hawkeyes, but to jump up and down and celebrate a class that simply is below average just doesn't do it for me. I mean yes, this class is off the charts good for Lick, but it's still below average in the Big 10, which the last time I checked was the measuring stick we should be using.

I hope for the first time in the Lick era that the "hawkeye experts" are right and the "paid" guys are wrong, but I guess I'll have to see it to believe it.

So how many years in a row are we to be told that this is the class to turn things around? Every year, the Hawkeye experts tell us that these recruits are great and every year we just keep getting worse.

I guess that's why I prefer to believe the people who evaluate players for a living that have this classed picked as 6th, 7th or 8th best in the Big 10. I've been fooled a few too many times by listening to people on this board try to claim that certain recruits are much better than their star ratings and year after year these players just aren't good enough.

In comparison to other Big 10 teams who recruit Top 100 talent and then beat us like a rented mule year after year. I'm glad these young men want to be Hawkeyes, but to jump up and down and celebrate a class that simply is below average just doesn't do it for me. I mean yes, this class is off the charts good for Lick, but it's still below average in the Big 10, which the last time I checked was the measuring stick we should be using.

I hope for the first time in the Lick era that the "hawkeye experts" are right and the "paid" guys are wrong, but I guess I'll have to see it to believe it.

Yep, the paid guys get it right every time. For those of you that usually don't get it, that statement is meant to be more than a bit sarcastic.

Indiana had the #1 class in the Big Ten - #11 national class last year, the #5 class in 2008 and #3 class in 2007. While I realize they went through a coaching change and that Creek went out for the year early with the injury it shows that basketball, winning isn't about rankings of players by the "experts".

The NCAA tournament and even the Final Four, i.e. - George Mason, are riddled with examples of TEAMS that have players who improve their skills while in college and grow together as a unit. Basketball is a great example of a game that epitomizes the importance of teamwork and team chemistry. I know you don't want to hear it but those are the things this coaching staff is trying to instill. It doesn't happen overnight. And it certainly doesn't happen when we lose players each year either. I believe this staff is as disappointed in players transferring out as we are, but they continue to follow their beliefs and their principles. Long term those beliefs and principles will be what serves them well.

Let's also compare how the pundits do with Hawkeye football recruiting:

2010 recruits - Everyone is clamoring over the great class coming in and it gets rated #4 in the Big Ten by the national pundits. Below is based on Scout.com ratings.

2009 class - Rated last in the Big Ten

2008 class - Rated 7th in the Big Ten

2007 class - Rated 5th in the Big Ten

2006 class - Rated 6th in the Big Ten

2005 class - Rated 3rd in the Big Ten

I'm certainly glad the pundits don't always get it right. If so this past year would have been pretty disappointed.

...I'm glad these young men want to be Hawkeyes, but to jump up and down and celebrate a class that simply is below average just doesn't do it for me. I mean yes, this class is off the charts good for Lick, but it's still below average in the Big 10...

DING, DING, DING!!! This is dead on!!!