A scenario: 7 wins this year, 14 next year

I'll go out on a limb and say that there are 2 incoming recruits that start next year. My guess is that Tucker will not be back regardless of what is said.

Satisfied with 14 wins next year??? NOT. He's outta here at that point. We need 20 next year for Lick to have a chance to keep his job.

You have got to say that Barta really has got his hands tied. We all know that he will not let TL go after this year. He has to be thinking that his resume at Iowa has not been looking good and may not either. He also has got to think about the fan base of the Basketball program and ask himself whether or not TL will help fill the areana back up. Either way Barta has got to be Ath. Director and make the best desision for the school and seek reliable wisdom. Wisdom that will make things easy for him to let TL go and get someone else that has a better resume of making things happen ASAP. Barta does not need to be the nicey nice guy that has pushover written on his forehead and will keep TL for 2 more seasons or else. This year is the year TL is placed in the frying pan. Next year the stove is turned on and if he can't get this team to a post season tournament then he needs to be cooked.

In response to the original poster’s question. 7-8 this year followed by 14-15 next year would show me progress and given that scenario, I would be inclined to lean on the side of the fence that says TL would get this turned around. That's just me and understanding that I am not the only fan, and certainly not always right, I understand the reality of it is that it simply would not fill enough seats to sustain the program.

So my answer is that if 80% of the fan base was made up of people who shared my reasoning 14-15 next year would buy another season, but since the fan base as a whole is more diverse than that, as an AD, that scenario should buy TL a handshake and a buyout.

I have been an advocate of staying the course and I still think Lick should get 5 years. However, I am looking at more than 14 wins next year. If Iowa could not get to 14 wins then I think change could be seriously looked at. I would like to get to 18 wins next year and an NIT bid and then a 20+ win season in two years with an NCAA bid.

Now, on the other hand, if Iowa does get rid of Lick after next year, the fanbase would have to expect and tolerate another 3+ years to rebuild under a new coach and players!!!

Are we prepared for that again???

I have been an advocate of staying the course and I still think Lick should get 5 years. However, I am looking at more than 14 wins next year. If Iowa could not get to 14 wins then I think change could be seriously looked at. I would like to get to 18 wins next year and an NIT bid and then a 20+ win season in two years with an NCAA bid.

Now, on the other hand, if Iowa does get rid of Lick after next year, the fanbase would have to expect and tolerate another 3+ years to rebuild under a new coach and players!!!

Are we prepared for that again???

I think it's right to let Lick coach next season and evaluate at the end of the season the state of things. It is really hard to put a number of wins out there. We don't know how this Big 10 season will go (I expect it to be ugly), I don't think there is ANY WAY Iowa wins 18 games next year. I am curious to see/evaluate how good the recruiting class really is. They are being talked about around here, the question is does the class have a Big 10 caliber play maker in it. If we get through next season and realize the class is just not great but more role players Iowa will probably struggle and Lick should probably be shown the door. I just don't think you can put a set amount of wins on the table. I find it hard to belive the team with at least added depth will struggle like this season yet I don't see anyway they hit 18 wins either.

One thing is don't be affraid to fire a coach because you are affraid to rebuild. Who's to say the next coach doesn't come in, kick *** on the recruiting scene and have the program back to NIT/NCAA bubble in 2-3 years. It's stupid to say you should keep Lick because you are affraid to rebuild. All that means is you are scared Barta can't do his job and hire a good coach. Trust me Barta already has coaches in mind to hire just like every good AD has a list of guys to hire at all times no matter how well a coach is doing.

Latest posts