A Question…

My boss who I report directly to is the co-owner of a mid-size manufacturing company with 600 employees in 3 locations in and near NW Iowa. He writes 4 checks a year from his own account totaling low 6 digits and our company does the same. Those transfers (used to be checks) actually come across my desk.

He's in close contact with a lot of the major donors either through networking or agriculture. Lots of them actually come through our office and they talk state of the union in the donor world. What a lot of people don't know is that there are some VERY rich farm owners (not really farmers anymore) who donate unbelievable amounts of money to Iowa sports. There was a certain quad cities real estate developer/Hawkeye "fan" here last week as a matter of fact. Really cool Corvette but it didn't fit his elderly style if you ask me...

You're free to believe me or not, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that almost all of Iowa's major legacy sports donors are 110% on the Ferentz train no matter what he decides to do. And that's not hyperbole. They love this guy and they are giving money with that in mind. My boss is not on the Ferentz train (Brian) but he's a huge homer and continues to give, which is totally his prerogative. He's not the type of guy who'd start a bunch of fuss and threaten to quit donating, and it wouldn't matter if he did. The biggest guys are dealing with extra digits of money.

The folks who own the I-80 truck stop and donated millions to get their name on the head coach "job title..." If Iowa did something contrary to the Captain's wishes and forward vision that money would be gone in an instant. They're bonkers Ferentz disciples; borderline Jonestown. It's no different than how ridiculously in love donors were with Tom Osborne except for the whole being really good and winning titles thing.
Thanks. I had no idea. No reason not to believe you. But, frankly, I am shocked.

A reporter needs to Google the NCAA record for three and outs in a season, and ask Kirk how the F he’s blown past that mark at 90 miles an hour in the 6th game of the season.
If i was a reporter i wouldn’t wast my time. Kirk would just say he is seeing improvement and practices look good

My boss who I report directly to is the co-owner of a mid-size manufacturing company with 600 employees in 3 locations in and near NW Iowa. He writes 4 checks a year from his own account totaling low 6 digits and our company does the same. Those transfers (used to be checks) actually come across my desk.

He's in close contact with a lot of the major donors either through networking or agriculture. Lots of them actually come through our office and they talk state of the union in the donor world. What a lot of people don't know is that there are some VERY rich farm owners (not really farmers anymore) who donate unbelievable amounts of money to Iowa sports. There was a certain quad cities real estate developer/Hawkeye "fan" here last week as a matter of fact. Really cool Corvette but it didn't fit his elderly style if you ask me...

You're free to believe me or not, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that almost all of Iowa's major legacy sports donors are 110% on the Ferentz train no matter what he decides to do. And that's not hyperbole. They love this guy and they are giving money with that in mind. My boss is not on the Ferentz train (Brian) but he's a huge homer and continues to give, which is totally his prerogative. He's not the type of guy who'd start a bunch of fuss and threaten to quit donating, and it wouldn't matter if he did. The biggest guys are dealing with extra digits of money.

The folks who own the I-80 truck stop and donated millions to get their name on the head coach "job title..." If Iowa did something contrary to the Captain's wishes and forward vision that money would be gone in an instant. They're bonkers Ferentz disciples; borderline Jonestown. It's no different than how ridiculously in love donors were with Tom Osborne except for the whole being really good and winning titles thing.
Correct. I know one personally (not as well as I used to) who has given 7-figures to the program on more than one occasion. He bleeds KF more than he bleeds black and gold. KF is a regular visitor to his lake house mansion according to his hired men.

Knowing that they will never change their love for KF, do you think there will ever be a time where they will say to KF "we love ya but some changes need to be made". It will be even tougher in this day and age to do without that money.

Correct. I know one personally (not as well as I used to) who has given 7-figures to the program on more than one occasion. He bleeds KF more than he bleeds black and gold. KF is a regular visitor to his lake house mansion according to his hired men.

Knowing that they will never change their love for KF, do you think there will ever be a time where they will say to KF "we love ya but some changes need to be made". It will be even tougher in this day and age to do without that money.
I think it's the biggest misconception by the general public as to how much influence donors have over sports programs. People here and elsewhere love to say, "I don't care who the donors are, Gary Barta is the AD so he can fire someone if he wants to..." That concept is absolutely laughable. The amounts of money given by boosters is mind-boggling and money talks. I really do think some of these people are total sociopaths too. Look at Brent Feller. The dude has given millions of dollars and gotten zero in return other than his own perceived clout. He wants to be on TV walking on the court and yelling at refs, flying with the team, and hanging out in the basketball lounges and at Fran's house (his wife's social media shows a lot). So he pays an astronomical amount of money to feel important. I guarantee you Fran doesn't want that guy following him and the team around like a little puppy but he has to let him. And because guys like him give these bucket loads of cash, the programs have to listen to them. If they feel disrespected they turn the faucet off. And as Rob said earlier, Kirk Ferentz is Gary Barta's boss no matter what anyone says.

With KF we have the really weird problem that the donors love the guy so much they'll keep funding him tanking the program. He's a mythical figure and I'm sure what's gotten him to that point is his down-home demeanor and attitude which those people love. They look at him like an old grandpa who never gets shaken up or loses his cool and always knows what's best and these bazillionaires drink it up.

Normally with boosters they're committed to the program rather than the coach like at nebraska. Scott Frost's buyout shrunk by $7.5 million if they would've waited a few days. A booster came forward and said, "F that, we're firing him now and here's the money. Do it." Trev Alberts even said in his presser that he was got "input" and opinions from boosters. Basically that's a nice way of saying he got phone calls from some people worth 9 figures who told him to fire Frost or else. The SEC has a whole bunch of billionaires with names on stadiums and buildings who've done the same thing for 60+ years.

I mean imagine that...one person lit $7.5 million on fire just to show people he was the alpha ape in the room and could throw his weight around. That's the kind of folks we're dealing with and they're the ones behind the scenes pulling the levers and pushing the buttons. Not Gary Barta.

I think it's the biggest misconception by the general public as to how much influence donors have over sports programs. People here and elsewhere love to say, "I don't care who the donors are, Gary Barta is the AD so he can fire someone if he wants to..." That concept is absolutely laughable. The amounts of money given by boosters is mind-boggling and money talks. I really do think some of these people are total sociopaths too. Look at Brent Feller. The dude has given millions of dollars and gotten zero in return other than his own perceived clout. He wants to be on TV walking on the court and yelling at refs, flying with the team, and hanging out in the basketball lounges and at Fran's house (his wife's social media shows a lot). So he pays an astronomical amount of money to feel important. I guarantee you Fran doesn't want that guy following him and the team around like a little puppy but he has to let him. And because guys like him give these bucket loads of cash, the programs have to listen to them. If they feel disrespected they turn the faucet off. And as Rob said earlier, Kirk Ferentz is Gary Barta's boss no matter what anyone says.

With KF we have the really weird problem that the donors love the guy so much they'll keep funding him tanking the program. He's a mythical figure and I'm sure what's gotten him to that point is his down-home demeanor and attitude which those people love. They look at him like an old grandpa who never gets shaken up or loses his cool and always knows what's best and these bazillionaires drink it up.

Normally with boosters they're committed to the program rather than the coach like at nebraska. Scott Frost's buyout shrunk by $7.5 million if they would've waited a few days. A booster came forward and said, "F that, we're firing him now and here's the money. Do it." Trev Alberts even said in his presser that he was got "input" and opinions from boosters. Basically that's a nice way of saying he got phone calls from some people worth 9 figures who told him to fire Frost or else. The SEC has a whole bunch of billionaires with names on stadiums and buildings who've done the same thing for 60+ years.

I mean imagine that...one person lit $7.5 million on fire just to show people he was the alpha ape in the room and could throw his weight around. That's the kind of folks we're dealing with and they're the ones behind the scenes pulling the levers and pushing the buttons. Not Gary Barta.
These boosters are to college sports what the owners are to professional teams. It's how they get to call the shots of their favorite team.

. Look at Brent Feller. The dude has given millions of dollars and gotten zero in return other than his own perceived clout. He wants to be on TV walking on the court and yelling at refs, flying with the team, and hanging out in the basketball lounges and at Fran's house (his wife's social media shows a lot). So he pays an astronomical amount of money to feel important. I guarantee you Fran doesn't want that guy following him and the team around like a little puppy but he has to let him.

Not creepy at all. /s

I was listening to a YouTube channel last night that covers Iowa and he was claiming to know one major donor who was upset at what was going on with the team.

Disappointing beyond belief.

I wasn't sure which bitchin' thread to put this under, so arbitrarily picked this one.

The biggest red flag so far with BF? The 2020 season.

We had the following players who have spent time with NFL teams (at the minimum, as practice squad players, plus a couple others I include below for future potential or as hypotheticals):

Goodson
Sargent
ISM
B. Smith
Charlie Jones (predicting into the future)
Shaun Beyer
Laporta (predicting into the future)
Linderbaum
Banwart
A. Jackson
Kallenberger (who would have at least gotten a shot if he hadn't decided to retire)

We had a new QB, but one who was in his 3rd year in the program.

With all of that, we had the 64th best offense in the country by Football Outsiders OFEI.

I wasn't sure which bitchin' thread to put this under, so arbitrarily picked this one.

We had the following players who have spent time with NFL teams (at the minimum, as practice squad players, plus a couple others I include below for future potential or as hypotheticals):

Goodson
Sargent
ISM
B. Smith
Shaun Beyer
Linderbaum
Banwart
A. Jackson
Kallenberger (who would have at least gotten a shot if he hadn't decided to retire)

With all of that, we had the 64th best offense in the country by Football Outsiders OFEI.
Good stuff. And it kind of backs up the notion that with just an average offense, we can be a pretty good team. We lost two close games to start the year but later on, we were pretty tough to beat. That is the best team we've had since 2015, IMO.

But alas, we don't have an average offense today. And see the results.

Goodson
Sargent
ISM
B. Smith
Shaun Beyer
Linderbaum
Banwart
A. Jackson

2020 was such a weird season for a lot of teams that I throw that one out.

The 2018 and 2019 teams are the killers for me. In 2018 on offense, most these guys had played a ton the year before....

Stanley (JR, serviceable at worst)
Hocksenson
Fant
Sargent (really underrated RB, upwards of 5 yards a carry that year)
ISM (SO)
Brandon Smith (SO)
Nick Easley (SR, over 50 catches that year)
Jackson
Wirfs

My god, how did that team struggle at all offensively?! Look at those 5 receiving options. Yet the losses included 17 points by the offense in Kinnick against WI and 10 points in Kinnick against NW. Those 9 wins that year probably should been 11 and a west title with the roster they had.

And you can make an argument about 2019 too....

Stanley (SR, serviceable at worst)
Sargent (SR)
Goodson (FR, almost 5 yards a carry)
ISM (JR)
Brandon Smith (JR)
Tyrone Tracy (FR, caught 36 balls for a 16.4 yard average)
Raigani (FR, caught 46 balls)
LaPorta (FR, started came on strong late in the year)
Jackson
Wirfs
Linderbaum

Lots of offensive talent on that 2019 team. How does that squad put up only 3 points on MI and 12 points on Penn State?

The 2018 and 2019 teams are the killers for me. In 2018 on offense, most these guys had played a ton the year before....

Hocksenson
Fant
ISM (SO)
Brandon Smith (SO)
Jackson
Wirfs

My god, how did that team struggle at all offensively?! Look at those 5 receiving options. Yet the losses included 17 points by the offense in Kinnick against WI and 10 points in Kinnick against NW. Those 9 wins that year probably should been 11 and a west title with the roster they had.

Sargent (SR)
ISM (JR)
Brandon Smith (JR)
Jackson
Wirfs
Linderbaum

Lots of offensive talent on that 2019 team. How does that squad put up only 3 points on MI and 12 points on Penn State?
Maybe ball control philosophy?

Hocksenson
Fant
ISM (SO)
Brandon Smith (SO)
Jackson
Wirfs

Sargent (SR)
ISM (JR)
Brandon Smith (JR)
Jackson
Wirfs
Linderbaum

One obvious big hole (OG, heavily impacted by injury), but with the rest of the talent, shouldn't a talented OC be able to scheme around that weakness?

with the new TV deals, not sure I wouldn''t redirect some money to a colletive rather thatn the university. Don't that old UofI will be in want of cash like the good old days

Hocksenson
Fant
ISM (SO)
Brandon Smith (SO)
Jackson
Wirfs

Sargent (SR)
ISM (JR)
Brandon Smith (JR)
Jackson
Wirfs
Linderbaum

Maybe talent (or lack thereof) is not the primary factor in our offensive performance.

Latest posts