A PREVIEW OF THE NEW KINNICK EXPERIENCE?

My inside sources tell me that we'll be playing Sweet Caroline no less than 6 times per game. More if it's a prime time game, because there will be more TV timeouts.

I like Jack Trice. Its not a big time stadiam But they have done a pretty good job of making it into a fun enviorment for their fans. Just not a big time program

Go home lasbur. Nothing about that cum dumpster at Ames is good and shame on you for even going that direction. I'm giving you a citizen arrest ban hammer. One month. Come back when you grow up.

Would this be the appropriate thread for me to weigh in with some original opinions regarding (1) the band playing something other than "Hey Jude" between the 3rd & 4th Q and (2) painting the water tower?

DUDE! Don't know what tavern you rolled out of but you obviously have not been to a game in Kinnick since the game-day experience "upgrades" were initiated a few years ago. Phase one included dumping "Hey Jude" (released in 1968) between 3rd and 4th quarter and advancing to "Sweet Caroline" (released in 1969).

"Hey Jude" has not been played between 3rd and 4th quarter since ripping off Pitt, after visiting Heinz Field in 2008. Granted, it still makes a couple appearances each season during the obligatory "Beatles tribute" halftime shows but I understand that Phase 2 of improving the game-day experience is targeting banning it altogether.

Maybe it's time for you to get with the times before speaking out of turn.

There could always be "retro" games, where they break out "Rock and Roll Part 2"...that would certainly be original.

EDIT: (Smirk) I was joking. And while I still enjoy the song "Jump Around" and how Wisconsin fans react to it, why try and copy or flat-out rip off what other teams/stadiums do? Isn't ANYone tired of that "Whoa-oh-oh-OH-oh. Whoa-oh-oh-OH-OH-oh-oh-oh...oh-oh"? And people still get out their keys to rattle? Really?

LOL Sorry man. Last time I went I was wearing my Iowa shirt and as I went in I ask the security guy where the Football Stadium was. He laughed but didn't think I was very funny
Go home lasbur. Nothing about that cum dumpster at Ames is good and shame on you for even going that direction. I'm giving you a citizen arrest ban hammer. One month. Come back when you grow up.

And so when Iowa took the field at Valley High Saturday with a soundtrack heavy on hip hop from this century (with some modern country mixed in, because I'm pretty sure Brandon Scherff made them) and started chucking the rock all over the field, it felt so...immediate. So fresh. So fun. It wasn't without its cringe worthy moments -- one edited version of a Jay Z/Kanye West track was almost unlistenable after the PG overdubs -- but it still felt like a significant improvement over the opening chords of "Machinehead" again. And I'm 33. I should ******* love "Machinehead."

Remember when the team started dancing on the sideline before overtime of the 2012 Michigan State game in East Lansing? It was dancing to the aforementioned Jay Z/Kanye track, played over the Spartan Stadium speakers. And it won that game. It won an overtime game against Northwestern in 2013 where it showed the same kind of emotion, so I'm not about to say it's all because of the music. But if the music helps, if it gives the team just a hint of a kick in the *** before a key play or an overtime, then shouldn't we dispense of our middle-aged sensibilities and play the damn music they want?

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...ctice-a-preview-of-the-new-kinnick-experience

This article seems like a lot of BS to me. I'm assuming the aforementioned Jay Z/Kanye West song is "Niggas in Paris" and I'm fairly certain they played it at games last year. "Niggas in Paris" is a top 40 song that was at its peak over a year ago, not some super hip new song that no one else is playing.

Also, they also played lots of awful modern country music last year I remember hearing "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line at least once per game last year.

This article seems to be inventing a story where there is none. All sporting venues across the country basically play the same music, and I'm not sure what you people are expecting.

Lets not pretend that the team's entrance at Valley High was anything extraordinary. It's the typical entrance that all sports teams across the country do to get their fans hyped.

Last edited:
This article seems like a lot of BS to me. I'm assuming the aforementioned Jay Z/Kanye West song is "Niggas in Paris" and I'm fairly certain they played it at games last year. "Niggas in Paris" is a top 40 song that was at its peak over a year ago, not some super hip new song that no one else is playing.

Also, they also played lots of awful modern country music last year I remember hearing "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line at least once per game last year.

This article seems to be inventing a story where there is none. All sporting venues across the country basically play the same music, and I'm not sure what you people are expecting.

Lets not pretend that the team's entrance at Valley High was anything extraordinary. It's the typical entrance that all sports teams across the country do to get their fans hyped.

"I'll bring the girls/you bring the beer/the troops will bring the freedom"

"Beautiful Like My Mom (Support the Troops)"

Sorry man the couple my girlfriend and I are going with are both probably 100 lbs overweight. Fat people like football too.

Fat people can like football...of course. However, they should not take up others' seats. If they do, they should pay for two seats. That's pretty "free market" isn't it? People should pay for what they consume. If you consume two seats, you should pay for them.

Of course, no one would probably have the courage to do this.

People get confused when it comes to rights. It's not one's right to infringe upon another.

btw- We can stop doing the Safety Dance Song at Kinnick. :)

I've always envied how they do "Jump around" in Madison and the whole stadium goes absolutely CRAZY.

I always thought Iowa should implement this into the game.. would be a great/fun song.

http://youtu.be/o-pImSXzBVs

As a long time Madison resident, I can tell you that I loathe the Badgers, but they do manage to have a good stadium experience for their (obnoxious) fans.

The fifth quarter has always been a big deal, and it's just really cool. They ruined the song "Jump Around" for me, but it really works for them.

We have the burrito lift, the dental smile on your face commercial, Sweet Caroline, The Safety Dance, and a cartoon semi hitting a logo.

Our fans are great. They just don't need red pom poms when we play Wisky.

What do you mean "you people"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iV24hL8Rk

Some of you really don't know what you're talking about! While repeating things @ Iowa may seem boring if you go to every game, we do have a unique package.

I've been to every away Big-10 stadium for at least one Iowa FB game (sans Nebby). (# of times list after school name) Here's my run down. You decide how lame Iowa is:

Illinois (4): Very involved student section. 4-corner fireworks. Stadium still a dump. South wind brings a barnyard stench.

Indiana (3): Car Keys, Arm pump (1st down), and "that's *another* Hoosier first down." Worst FB environment in the B1G (nobody shows up until right at game time, poor crowds, no tailgating and they actually expanded the place!) No bars around area.

Michigan (2): Best overall environment I've been to (tied with Wisconsin). Lots of unique "dress" among the home folks, drumsticks beating cowbells galore (with cheers), the banner, best band in B1G, first class FB game-day operation. Personal section seating attendants. 2nd to none. Yes, the sound does dissipate, but, when they enclose the entire top with luxury boxes (two year wait), that'll change. Lack of bars around the area.

MSU (1): Pretty involved student section. Ummmm....ummm...other than that...pretty sterile place. MSU campus all spread out, little condensed tailgating near stadium. $3 round-trip bus rides from many far-removed parking lots. No bars around the area.

Minnesota (2)(TCF only): Great new stadium. Nothing really sticks out as memorable as far as the game-day situation. You park at the wasteland called the Minnesota State Fairgrounds and take a $10 shuttle to the game. Not much around the stadium regarding bars/partying.

Nebraska: Never seen a game there, although, have been in and around the stadium. Only know it from reputation as being hostile. Not much around stadium regarding bars.

NU (7): People voice they hate this place. I like it for its quaintness. Two bars right off the metra on Central. Mustard's Last Stand by the stadium. Annoying "cat growl" the entire game. No tailgating to speak of near the stadium. Parking all spread out. Public transportation is the way to go. No much in-game stuff to keep one's attention.

OSU (3): Close 2nd only to Michigan/Wisconsin. Excellent band, crowd engaged all game. Tradition galore. All-American sidewalk (a tree is planted for every AA OSU has had, and, it's a forest!). You have to park/walk to game, but, a ton of bars around the area. Unique "Heiney Gate" before and after game....place rocks. Bigger than Kinnick by a 1/3, louder than Kinnick.

PSU (1): Surprisingly a lot of tailgating around the stadium with alcohol allowed in the open, although not much in the way of bars. Stadium is large, but very disjointed as its been added on to several times. Some of the seats (i.e. visitors) are a LONG ways from the field. Very active student section. Annoying cat growl throughout the entire game. Very isolated but beautiful surroundings. Not as loud as one might think for a 106K capacity stadium.

Purdue (3): Some bars within walking distance. Unique for their car keys, train and bass drum. Easy to get to. Only time I've seen the crowd really into it was the 1985 Long vs Everett game. Not much else to get excited about.

Wisconsin (5): I could write a book about Camp Randall and surrounding area. It's like they dropped the stadium in the middle of downtown Iowa City. Bars galore. Open alcohol allowed. Fun galore. I always park near the western bus terminal and ride into the area. Crowd is always abuzz, loud, fun, jump-around of course. Lots of tailgating around the area just outside of the downtown. I have nothing but good things to say about a Wisky game day experience.

Maryland (1): I used to live in the DC area. Went to a high school playoff game there. Small stadium. I don't think MD has/will have much of a home field advantage. In fact, with as many east coast Hawk fans as there are, could be a Kinnick east. BB is king.

Iowa (dozens): Unique closeness to field generates as much noise as any B1G stadium other than OSU and perhaps Wisconsin. Bars are a mile walk eastward. You can get to the stadium via auto, train or free bus....that's unique to Iowa. I-O-W-A cheer is unique from what I can remember. The team coming down the runway to Back in Black, then, Enter Sandman, is unique. The Swarm is unique. Tailgating right next to Kinnick is absolutely packed....something unique (Indiana has potential if people would go to game, you can join large tailgates somewhat close to the stadium parking lots @ NU and PSU). Burrito is lame, dental smile is lame. Kinnick parking/Melrose booze rules are overly-restrictive.

But I'll say this....I've taken dozens of 1st-timers and out-of-towners to Iowa games and am damn proud of the environment it presents. Everyone, and I mean everyone, positively comments on it. We have it pretty good @ Iowa folks...believe it or not.

Last edited:
I will weigh in on this topic and as Seth53 I have been to a number of away hawk games.

#1 I wish we were not at the day and age where we have to have so many obnoxious commercials over the PA and video systems, like burritos, dentals smiles, etc. I thought there was enough money in the warchest to not have these ads.

#2 Several times a game I think they should have video packages with good music showing past great hawkeye highlights, such as the 2002 team, the 1990 team, etc. You know we are football fans, hawks fanatics, sitting there in a football stadium watching a football game.

#3 More time for the marching band to play during timeouts with the cheerleaders and dance team doing some stunts, whatever to keep the crowd in the game.

Also, I agree that if you are so fat you take up 1.5 seats you should sit at an angle to take up just one seat.

I buy two seatbacks at $90 total just to keep extra people in our row from squishing us in.

The rap is all fun & games until the players are "poppin' Cris" during TV timeouts and "makin' it rain" on the cheerleaders. That kind of moral-standard may fly with the Hun, but I dare-say this could be the end of our Fair Republic as we know it!