A&M makes it official...gone...

There is no way in hell any team being approached by the Big 12 should join until they gauge the climate of the other conferences. If the Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC look to expand it would be beneficial to talk to them first, because the Big 12 is a lame duck right now.

Whats the big news here? Big 12 search committee underway.

I do hope the Big XII will be able to add a team to replace. My concern is the reaction of some other members. If A&M is accepted by the SEC then would the Big 12 be raided for a 14th SEC member? Missouri and Oklahoma are two targets for other conferences.

That would be funny, but numerous sources saying that it's a done deal. Not that things couldn't change in a second (see expansion talk 2010.)

I think it would be funny if BYU told the Big 12 no. Then it would be down to scraping for mid-majors to join that catastrophe of a conference. With that said, I think BYU joins the Big 12 and everything stays quiet for now.

If A/M does end up in the SEC(all but certain), the SEC now becomes the driver of the super conference. The question to me is why would other conferences have to follow suit? It seems difficult for me to believe that most wouldn't lose revenue grabbing other schools. The Big East for instance is massive in basketball, but no one else felt the need to follow suit. With the current BCS system, gigantic conferences just seems to make it more difficult for a program to reach the BCS games. I think a playoff system has to come first before Super conferences make sense for college football.

IMO a nine team big 12 is better for ISU. 8 conference games are better than 9, b/c you can schedule NoWhere State and get another win.

I do hope the Big XII will be able to add a team to replace. My concern is the reaction of some other members. If A&M is accepted by the SEC then would the Big 12 be raided for a 14th SEC member? Missouri and Oklahoma are two targets for other conferences.
My guess is they may do something else, like look to the ACC or Big East. I think most would like FSU, but the gentlemens agreement to not add schools in currently occupied states would bar that. I would not be surprised to see them try and approach UNC. From a basketball standpoint it is not good for North Carolina, but that football program already knows how the rule book looks in the SEC(ie don't look at it) and you have a strong rivalry with SC immediately, while expanding the footprint. Likely the ACC fill with a Big East school, and then the rotation begins(or ends, I don't think anyone wants in the Big East, but it is a soft landing spot for some universities if the options run out).

I'd rather the Big 12 add 3 teams than 1. Get back to 2 divisions and allow us to schedule 4 non conference games.

Maybe but ultimately this will all be decided by lawyers and politicians oh and lawsuits. That is why no one currently in a power conference will fall and ultimately it up to the teams in the MAC and WAC to hope for the move up.

Please enlighten us on the legal argument that teams in a "power conference" will not be allowed to fall. Cause I don't think "It's not fair that we are no longer a power conference" is going to get the job done.

It would be pretty funny if A&M didn't get invited to the SEC and they were stuck with their johnson in their hand.

Might be that A&M is sending a message that they are mad as hell and they are gone irreguardless if they get into the SEC. (but they probably already have a deal w/the SEC)

Please enlighten us on the legal argument that teams in a "power conference" will not be allowed to fall. Cause I don't think "It's not fair that we are no longer a power conference" is going to get the job done.
Pretty easy, universities sue conferences for lost tv revenues. Incorporate lawyers and politicians. Universities stand behind the fact that universities are not for profit organizations and are not and should not be in the business of making a profit. Government threatens to pull the not-for-profit tags off the conferences. Conferences cave and we have 20 league conferences. But none of the above will happen because of the potential of opening this can of worms so no one will be left on the outside looking in. Which in turn means no lawsuits.

What's the root of all of this - more money in the SEC or fear and loathing of Texas?

Pretty easy, universities sue conferences for lost tv revenues. Incorporate lawyers and politicians. Universities stand behind the fact that universities are not for profit organizations and are not and should not be in the business of making a profit. Government threatens to pull the not-for-profit tags off the conferences. Conferences cave and we have 20 league conferences. But none of the above will happen because of the potential of opening this can of worms so no one will be left on the outside looking in. Which in turn means no lawsuits.

Do Universities really have NPO status?

You can't sue something that no longer exists. The only conference a school could sue is the one they are presently in. If the Big 12 folded with the Pac 12, SEC, and Big Ten each taking 1-3 teams and Texas goes independent for football then the Big 12 is gone and there is no one for any school without a new conference alignment to sue.

You can't sue something that no longer exists. The only conference a school could sue is the one they are presently in. If the Big 12 folded with the Pac 12, SEC, and Big Ten each taking 1-3 teams and Texas goes independent for football then the Big 12 is gone and there is no one for any school without a new conference alignment to sue.
The universities would not be suing the Big 12 or whatever the conference is, it would be suing the NCAA. And yes the NCAA will exist. That is the only barrier between the universities and the federal government.

The universities would not be suing the Big 12 or whatever the conference is, it would be suing the NCAA. And yes the NCAA will exist. That is the only barrier between the universities and the federal government.

For football the NCAA has nothing to do with TV contracts, bowl alignments or the BCS so what are you suing them for exactly?

I am starting to wonder what we did letting Neb in. I mean dont get me wrong having a ccg is a good thing, they border us, and it's not like they have a horrible ball club. BUT I am getting concerned, that I have read where OK doesnt like the sec and thinks they belong more with the pac12 OR B10. I also read where AM is touting being an AAU member (why would they even bring that up going into the sec?). Weird?? I mean I could see the sec touting that after they accepted them, or during the acceptance speech, but for AM to do it, says to me, they are doing a look at me, look at me type deal. We also know Missery is AAU and wants in.
Seems people are trying to crash the party.
With all that said it would be sweet to tap into the TX market a bit better.

Last edited:
For football the NCAA has nothing to do with TV contracts, bowl alignments or the BCS so what are you suing them for exactly?
The NCAA is still the overseer of college athletics. Universities would also sue the other conferences citing that profit was the sole reason for conference realignment. Schools like ISU would only have to point to their AAU standing and academics to show the true reason of the existence of colleges and universities (academics) had nothing to do with realignment. In the end colleges and universities are still the staple of our American heritage. We the taxpayers pay for their existence. They are not-for-profit entities with the sole purpose of providing an education. College football will have nothing to do with all this in the end.

Latest posts