A lot of Clowns Running for the Portal

NorthKCHawk

I have read a couple cryptic notes online about something going on. Between the decommits and a large number of starters/contributors leaving, sure smellls fishy.

2Xh5.gif

26 in the 2-deep either graduating or transferring. Not sure if that counts Breece Hall who will go pro.

Very odd and surprising when I heard this on the news last nite. These players would most likely be starters again or newly minted. And losing 26 or 27 of your top 44 scrimmage players in one off season will be a huge hurdle for ISU. ISU barely was over .500 and they lose a ton on offense as I think Purdy, Hall and Kolar are gone and probably a couple of OLinemen.

I have no idea what their roster looks like minus about 30 top players. What does their outlook look like?

Are there rumors that the D Coord is leaving as these 4 top players leaving are on the defensive side?

If you look, a lot of these kids are not Iowa kids and don't give a shit about the Cy-Hawk trophy. While they had lofty expectations and did not meet them, they still had a winning season and are going to a bowl. Mass defections like this do not add up unless there is something going on. Coaches leaving, scandal, something.

Multiple starters hitting the portal in a short time period is peculiar to say the least.

The only one I don't get is Young. But right now it's hard to say why this is happening or if it's anything to be concerned about.

The only one I don't get is Young. But right now it's hard to say why this is happening or if it's anything to be concerned about.

Did ISU lose at least 2 starting linebackers after this year? One of the players into the portal was 2nd string lbkr iirc and was probably in line for much more playing time. odd

I'd bet you a million bucks it's better NIL deals. Gonna happen to all tiny market teams.
Had not considered that. The NIL thing was not really much of a factor this year, but I agree that it is going to grow like an infection over college football. NIL played a role in Riley moving to USC. He can see what's coming. As NIL really starts to take hold, the rich will continue to get richer.

Had not considered that. The NIL thing was not really much of a factor this year, but I agree that it is going to grow like an infection over college football. NIL played a role in Riley moving to USC. He can see what's coming. As NIL really starts to take hold, the rich will continue to get richer.
It's going to hurt some teams no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be the game changer some people think it is.

At the end of the day there's still a finite number of truly elite players and they already go to the top 5% of teams.

What I see happening at some point is a 15-20 school league breaking away from the NCAA, which would (through attrition) lead to the disappearance of the NCAA in college football. Without football money, there's no NCAA. Good riddance.

When it comes to football and basketball, the NCAA isn't needed anymore because at the D1 level it's not about going to class. It's about classes being a necessary evil to play football or basketball. The NCAA has destroyed itself from the inside out by trying to rule a roost that can't be ruled.

Did ISU lose at least 2 starting linebackers after this year? One of the players into the portal was 2nd string lbkr iirc and was probably in line for much more playing time. odd

well maybe. Until we know who is using their super senior year and who isn’t I just don’t know

It's going to hurt some teams no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be the game changer some people think it is.

At the end of the day there's still a finite number of truly elite players and they already go to the top 5% of teams.

What I see happening at some point is a 15-20 school league breaking away from the NCAA, which would (through attrition) lead to the disappearance of the NCAA in college football. Without football money, there's no NCAA. Good riddance.

When it comes to football and basketball, the NCAA isn't needed anymore because at the D1 level it's not about going to class. It's about classes being a necessary evil to play football or basketball. The NCAA has destroyed itself from the inside out by trying to rule a roost that can't be ruled.
Fry, you are usually pretty informed on most issues, but you missed badly on football money supporting the NCAA. Almost none of the NCAA's financial support comes from football. The bowls, playoffs, and tv deals are all run through the conferences and schools, not the NCAA. So, we are already at the place that you say you see coming. The NCAA regulates the rules/eligibility of football at the Division I level, but that is about it.

The NCAA is almost entirely funded by Men's BB, and specifically March Madness. I believe it accounts for over 90% of the NCAA total revenue. Look it up. You want to kill the NCAA off through funding choke, that is what has to be taken from the NCAA.

While I understand the dislike of the NCAA---people don't like the sports cops---doesn't someone have to make and enforce the rules? I just don't understand what people think college athletics should evolve into without a governing body of some sort. You want to start over with a new governing body? Fine, you will hate them just as much in two years. You want to have no governing body and let the inmates run the asylum?

While I understand the dislike of the NCAA---people don't like the sports cops---doesn't someone have to make and enforce the rules? I just don't understand what people think college athletics should evolve into without a governing body of some sort. You want to start over with a new governing body? Fine, you will hate them just as much in two years. You want to have no governing body and let the inmates run the asylum?
A new governing body that has nothing to do with "amateurism" and college schooling is exactly what the sport needs.

The whole reason the NCAA got to the level of power it did was because it did so in the name of defending amateurism. Welp, there's no such thing as amateurism in division 1 football anymore. None. The NCAA can blow smoke up your ass all day long with a million reasons for the sanctity of college sports, but those days are loooooong gone, and they did it to themselves.

The NCAA could've avoided this whole mess by compromise, but it wanted to defend every dollar it made from the prying hands of the people who made the money in the first place. It could've said at some point, "College athletes may make up to $75,000 per season in endorsement deals/sponsorships/merchandise, etc" and been rational and solved the problem, but nope. They were too greedy. Take $200 from your hometown grocery store for doing a radio ad? We'll permanently pull your eligibility and ruin your career. F that, they aren't the ones who should be making or enforcing any rules, especially now that NIL is legal. The one single thing that the NCAA was designed to enforce and promote (amateurism) is obsolete and doesn't exist anymore.

I would love for 50-60 football teams to break away and say, F off NCAA, we don't need you to run our show. Get a governing body made up of equal parts football staff representation, college administration, and elected independents WITH TERM LIMITS. No permanent employees. Draft a bill of organizational standards that are good for promoting the sport and sign on the dotted line as to how money gets divided up. Profit share with players. And partner with the frickin NFL. I hate NFL and don't watch it anymore except for checking out Iowa players, but the revenue and advertising power a partnership would bring would be huge.

Instead of being an antagonist organization just waiting to chop someone's head off for making money or failing an algebra class, be an organization that promotes success with financial opportunities.

I get it, the "rah, rah, rah, go COLLEGE!" letter jacket and pennant waving blue hairs would hate it because they're still brainwashed into thinking college football is sacred and holy. But that's not reality and we know it. Hasn't been since the 50s.

Latest posts