A lot of Clowns Running for the Portal

A new governing body that has nothing to do with "amateurism" and college schooling is exactly what the sport needs.

The whole reason the NCAA got to the level of power it did was because it did so in the name of defending amateurism. Welp, there's no such thing as amateurism in division 1 football anymore. None. The NCAA can blow smoke up your ass all day long with a million reasons for the sanctity of college sports, but those days are loooooong gone, and they did it to themselves.

The NCAA could've avoided this whole mess by compromise, but it wanted to defend every dollar it made from the prying hands of the people who made the money in the first place. It could've said at some point, "College athletes may make up to $75,000 per season in endorsement deals/sponsorships/merchandise, etc" and been rational and solved the problem, but nope. They were too greedy. Take $200 from your hometown grocery store for doing a radio ad? We'll permanently pull your eligibility and ruin your career. F that, they aren't the ones who should be making or enforcing any rules, especially now that NIL is legal. The one single thing that the NCAA was designed to enforce and promote (amateurism) is obsolete and doesn't exist anymore.

I would love for 50-60 football teams to break away and say, F off NCAA, we don't need you to run our show. Get a governing body made up of equal parts football staff representation, college administration, and elected independents WITH TERM LIMITS. No permanent employees. Draft a bill of organizational standards that are good for promoting the sport and sign on the dotted line as to how money gets divided up. Profit share with players. And partner with the frickin NFL. I hate NFL and don't watch it anymore except for checking out Iowa players, but the revenue and advertising power a partnership would bring would be huge.

Instead of being an antagonist organization just waiting to chop someone's head off for making money or failing an algebra class, be an organization that promotes success with financial opportunities.

I get it, the "rah, rah, rah, go COLLEGE!" letter jacket and pennant waving blue hairs would hate it because they're still brainwashed into thinking college football is sacred and holy. But that's not reality and we know it. Hasn't been since the 50s.
We old blue hairs, though I have little hair left at all, can applaud the rah! rah! college part of the sports programs and still agree with most of what you said. Sometimes your cynicism overwhelms you.

I have heard commentators discuss the concept of unbundling. Basically, schools would lease their facilities, names, and programs to clubs that would run the team like a professional team. I hate this idea, but it may be where things are heading. I don't mind the idea of kids making some money, but when we give up on student athletes altogether, I am out. I actually like the NFL. I like college football more. Why do I like an inferior product more? Its unique. Its fun. Its passionate. Its fans are invested. College football should evolve, but not become a minor league for the NFL. That will be the death of it.

Did ISU just become a Juco? Seriously we always laughed at the thought of coaches using ISU as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, but now it seems players are doing the same.
Schools like Iowa State and Nebraska recruit heavily from locations way far away from home base (Florida, Texas, California, Arizona). Reality is in the age of the transfer portal about half these kids are going to leave. You have seen pretty similar numbers at Iowa, but fortunately our strategy seems more focused on the 10-hour radius from Iowa City so we have lost less overall.

Yes, schools like Ohio State and Bama recruit nationally but they are chasing after a different set of recruits and obviously offer a completely different experience.

The Big 12's fall from relevance won't help the clones cause either. Ditto for NIL.

Schools like Iowa State and Nebraska recruit heavily from locations way far away from home base (Florida, Texas, California, Arizona). Reality is in the age of the transfer portal about half these kids are going to leave. You have seen pretty similar numbers at Iowa, but fortunately our strategy seems more focused on the 10-hour radius from Iowa City so we have lost less overall.

Yes, schools like Ohio State and Bama recruit nationally but they are chasing after a different set of recruits and obviously offer a completely different experience.

The Big 12's fall from relevance won't help the clones cause either. Ditto for NIL.
Did you hear the offer for NIL to clone players from the Loomis Bros Circus? ;) https://www.loomiscircus.com

Ronald McDonald House of Ames also rumored to be interested.

It's going to hurt some teams no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be the game changer some people think it is.

At the end of the day there's still a finite number of truly elite players and they already go to the top 5% of teams.

What I see happening at some point is a 15-20 school league breaking away from the NCAA, which would (through attrition) lead to the disappearance of the NCAA in college football. Without football money, there's no NCAA. Good riddance.

When it comes to football and basketball, the NCAA isn't needed anymore because at the D1 level it's not about going to class. It's about classes being a necessary evil to play football or basketball. The NCAA has destroyed itself from the inside out by trying to rule a roost that can't be ruled.

NIL isn't starting and stopping with Power-5 FB players....far from it. I offer the link as one of many examples of non-revenue-sport athletes cashing in.

Did ISU just become a Juco? Seriously we always laughed at the thought of coaches using ISU as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, but now it seems players are doing the same.

Who, other than Young, will end up in a better spot than ISU?

I have heard commentators discuss the concept of unbundling. Basically, schools would lease their facilities, names, and programs to clubs that would run the team like a professional team. I hate this idea, but it may be where things are heading. I don't mind the idea of kids making some money, but when we give up on student athletes altogether, I am out. I actually like the NFL. I like college football more. Why do I like an inferior product more? Its unique. Its fun. Its passionate. Its fans are invested. College football should evolve, but not become a minor league for the NFL. That will be the death of it.

Good points. I like the NFL also as far as pure football talent etc but for a long time it has become a yellow flag foul fest and the refs only call about a third or half of the fouls.

I do expect Cyclone recruiting to peak with this year. Even tho the new Big 12 might be a better conference, there isn't the big name school(s) ISU can point to on their schedule that will help with recruiting.