A home loss to a D2 School....really....don't care how good they are

HaydenHawk56

You can't have that happen. Should not happen. Embarassing night. I guess losing White is going to have a big impact this year.

It doesn't make sense to say you don't care how good they are. How good they are is a pretty big factor on whether it was a terrible loss or not.

It doesn't make sense to say you don't care how good they are. How good they are is a pretty big factor on whether it was a terrible loss or not.

D2 school playing them at home. Enough said. Not that upsets can't happen, but it is apparent Iowa has a lot of work ahead of them. Sounds like Woody got owned, starters did not bring the energy, and some of the new guys are not ready for the big time yet.

Ran into a hot shooting team that had the majority of their starters back and only lost 2 games last year, but still a D2 team. I can't sugar coat that. Refuse to sugar coat that. Got to bring it and not lose to out of your league opponents like that. Especially at home.

This game may not count, but it still counts in a perception sense.

And what I mean how good they are....how good they are for a D2 school......you are still a Big Ten school......major D1 school playing at home.....got to represent and take care of business.

Last edited:
I've been to both exhibition games. It could be a looooong year. They may get it together but at this point they are really out of sync and still searching for line-ups that work. Woodbury hasn't progressed much offensively and probably has missed 5 2ft layups in 2 exhibition games.

There is just something missing with this team. But, I prob said the same thing at the beginning of the f-ball season & look what's happening there.

Uthoff needs to be better for sure. We could have a pretty darn good trio with Uthoff, Gesell, and Jok. The good news is, with all the newbies, we have a pretty good chance of a big improvement.

Look at this way I guess, better this game,then Gardner Webb or some game that counts in the RPI. Maybe could be the best thing that could happen for this team. Still very discouraging

Uthoff needs to be better for sure. We could have a pretty darn good trio with Uthoff, Gesell, and Jok. The good news is, with all the newbies, we have a pretty good chance of a big improvement.

Gesell had quite a few turnovers the first game including 2 bad in-bounds passes, but overall his line looked pretty good. He also looked pretty good tonight & looked like he could get to the rim anytime he wanted. Uthoff never really stuck out that much. Woodbury just will never progress where he can score over 10 pts a game consistently.

Every year it seems like a major team loses to a D2 team in an exhibition... but usually the major team is experimenting with their offense of defense or something - I'm guessing Iowa was just playing straight up and lost?

Second hand info from my dad....

Woody got beat by a quicker guy... Also the guy who hit the GW
Uthoff... Jarrod?? Dude, Seriously where'd he go?? Oh yeah, he disafrickinppeared.

So I'm on vacation with the wife, out to a super swank dinner, planning on watching the game later tonight. Well then a buddy texted and said we lost. I doubt I have the stomach to watch that crap now. Seems like my annual BB freak out might come very early this year.

so I get home late...see this thread. Are you f****** kidding me? great Senior leadership, great coaching. J...F...C... Graduate already MG and Woody

It's OK. Iowa was experimenting with a lot of different things such as different positions in press, line ups, etc etc. This is basically a practice. In most years this would have been a closed door practice anyways. If Iowa were to play it like an actual game they win big.

It's OK. Iowa was experimenting with a lot of different things such as different positions in press, line ups, etc etc. This is basically a practice. In most years this would have been a closed door practice anyways. If Iowa were to play it like an actual game they win big.

I hope you are right... but i think not. Our 5 players with starting experience played almost the entire game?! The sad part is that they did not get to play the newbies that much at all, bease our seniors stunk it up... ugh

Horrible preseason. No other way to describe it.

Iowa actually used 12 players. That is not the rotation that will be used in competitive games. The presses that they tried won't be used in the same way either. Like I said this was just a practice.

Better this, now, than this ...

12/6/2014: New Jersey Institute of Technology Highlanders 72 - #17 Michigan Wolverines 70.

12/20/2014: (2-8) Texas Southern Tigers 71 - Michigan State Spartans 64 (OT)

These counted.

Better this, now, than this ...

12/6/2014: New Jersey Institute of Technology Highlanders 72 - #17 Michigan Wolverines 70.

12/20/2014: (2-8) Texas Southern Tigers 71 - Michigan State Spartans 64 (OT)

These counted.

Yep and Augustana is probably significantly better than those teams.

This isn't an overreaction to a loss to a good D-2 school as others have already provided examples of decent teams getting beat.

With that said... Something is off with this team right now. How does Uhl play only 2 minutes?? None of the freshman seem to be contributing. Woody is still Woody. We still don't know if Uthoff has the killer instinct and leadership. He certainly can't go games without getting to the free throw line.

Latest posts