A home loss to a D2 School....really....don't care how good they are

Better this, now, than this ...

12/6/2014: New Jersey Institute of Technology Highlanders 72 - #17 Michigan Wolverines 70.

12/20/2014: (2-8) Texas Southern Tigers 71 - Michigan State Spartans 64 (OT)

These counted.

Those are very good examples of it can happen, but still does not excuse them. Iowa SHOULD NOT ever lose to a D2 school at home. I hope Fran takes away their pizza. :)

I was there. Biggest issue I saw was drive after drive down the lane. Iowa has no presence in the middle on defense.

You can't have that happen. Should not happen. Embarassing night. I guess losing White is going to have a big impact this year.

Agreed. You can't have a Division II school - and I don't care how good they are at that Division II level - come into your house and win. Absolutely no excuses for that. Iowa is (or theoretically is) a B1G school that returns four starters from last year. And I see Iowa was outrebounded. That seems to be a lack of effort. I knew Iowa would miss Aaron White big-time -- scoring, attitude, rebounding and leadership. But good grief. If our freshmen - no matter their lack of experience - have some fire in their gut, I'd bench every starter for the next game and play our freshmen. If we lose, at least we might have guys on the floor who want play...

This Iowa basketball program - I don't know. I really don't. We all thought that Iowa was turning the corner after last season. Then came the 2015 NCAA Tournament game against Gonzaga. After watching that debacle, it appeared to me that Iowa didn't even belong on the same floor as Gonzaga. It was Gonzaga's largest point-spread win of the tournament. Sure, they were hot from the 3-point range; but as usual, our perimeter defense was horrible.

I watched the Iowa State/Grand Valley State game Friday night. Iowa State has ATHLETES and can rain in the 3's. It will be ugly in Ames, and you can take that to the bank. Jameel McKay will take Woodbury to the cleaners.

Sorry to ramble on and be so negative. I just have a bad feeling about this team from the coaching ranks on down...

Well this is definitely not a good sign, but I also seem to remember Iowa losing to Marathon Oil in the 1996-97 season, and that team ended up in the NCAA 2nd round, and gave UK all they could handle. This is not a prediction, but just saying that the season isn't necessarily doomed based on this one game. I sure hope not...

People need to understand how day to day basketball can be. We could play that team 10 more times and maybe win by 20 every time. They got us that one game. It doesn't mean we are terrible but it probably means our floor is lower than it's been the last 2 years. It really doesn't say anything about where our ceiling is though.

how about you guys actually over react if the team starts dropping games in the regular season

how about you guys actually over react if the team starts dropping games in the regular season

The incoming freshmen probably won't be getting as much attention in practice now that the season is going to get underway. I think they will be pretty good this year.

I had to chuckle at this comment. Not derisively, but kind of laughing at us all. You ARE right...we'd better wait for the regular season before losing hope.

Why can't we ever have good 3 point shooters? It is funny how just about every other team has them, but we don't.
Why can't we ever defend the 3? (And this has been a problem since the Davis era)

Wow . . . more heads exploding here than in Fist of the North Star. We'll be fine. It's good to get something stuck in their craw -- especially when it doesn't hurt your record. They can wear that injured pride on their shoulder and come out every week with something to prove.

Wow . . . more heads exploding here than in Fist of the North Star. We'll be fine. It's good to get something stuck in their craw -- especially when it doesn't hurt your record. They can wear that injured pride on their shoulder and come out every week with something to prove.

I'm not freaking out and Fran has earned my trust so I think he'll right the ship. That being said it was a concerning loss and I don't buy the narrative that this is good for the guys. There really has been no buzz about this team so they shouldn't be overconfident. I'd be more worried about some of the guys losing their confidence early on.

As painful as it is for me to say. I was at a Juco game on Saturday night and remember checking the score at halftime of that game and seeing us down by double digits. I had a harder time swallowing that then I did losing at the buzzer.

IMO Uthoff will struggle with the transition into becoming the go-to offensive guy this year. Remember that White struggled with this at the beginning of the year after being behind Marble for 3 years... It could take some time and honestly, I didn't know if White had it in him-- he obviously proved me wrong with that great stretch at the end of last season but the point is, it will take some time for Uthoff to know when he has to take over offensively.

As far as losing to Augey, lets just chill out. Sure, it's very embarrassing, but those of you ready to give up on the season is ridiculous. Lets try to see a silver lining here: It's a humbling moment for this team. Fran was OK with losing this game (I think) to prove a greater point: that we have to play good basketball to win. It's that simple. If we don't, we will get beat and we don't have the talent to play sloppy and still win.

90-81 winners and National champs! We only lost to them by 2, so we could have won that thing by 7. If only...

Latest posts