A couple of top Juniors commit...

fulsaasfan

Two of the nation's top juniors, No. 10 John Meeks (Des Moines Roosevelt, Iowa) and No. 11 Brandon Kingsley (Apple Valley, Minnesota), announced their college decisions. Both will be joining their older brothers in college. Meeks will head to Nebraska, joining older brother Blake, while Kingsley will stay in the state and wrestle at Minnesota with older brother Jordan

Also, Senior Elijah Sullivan from Iowa City West has commited to Columbia.

Did we even recruit Meeks? I have never heard Iowa mentioned in regards to his recruitment.

We didnt offer him a full ride.
His dad felt that his son has worked hard all of his life and deserves to get a full ride for his talents.

I actually agree with his dad

Meeks is worthy of a full scholarship

He's a good kid, I wish him the best when he's not wrestling a Hawkeye.

Hope we can land some studs in 2012...seems pretty early for 2012 commits

He is going to be a 4 time state champ. He should have been offered a full ride by Iowa. Hate to see him go to Nebraska.

Meeks is a great wrestler and a top 10 talent in that class but NO he should not have been offered a full ride by Iowa. There are only 9.9 scholarships and if you give a guy a full ride and he doesn't pan out where does that leave your program??

Let Nebraska use there money and take him. We will happily trade them for Nebraska high schooler Thomas Gillman instead!! :)

I like Gilman too, not sure who Iowa takes out of Peters, Gilman and Clark.

But I just think Meeks dad is getting a bad rep in this whole deal, and he's a really good guy. Meeks are Iowa fans, believe it or not.

I think Meeks would have been a great addition to the team. Does anyone know who on the current team does have a full ride?

My bet would be that no one on current team has a full scholarship. Iowa has usually shared the wealth to help with depth and most team members accepted it.

I remember Meeks from years ago. He was in the youth wrestling program while I was in highschool at Roosevelt. that family had a lot of kids and I think that all of them ended up going through that program.

I'm happy for the family. It is great that he got a full ride, even if it isn't at Iowa.

Congratulations to John and his family!! Look forward to seeing him battle against whoever the hawks put out there.

I would doubt that any Iowa wrestler is on a full ride we build champions at Iowa team and individual.

I had a friend who was a freshman Mcllravy's senior year. I remember him saying then that everyone who was offered money got the exact same. Not everyone was offered money or accepted money. Some in the room were walk-on only, and wealthier parents would go ahead and pay tuition to open up more scholarship money.

In terms of Meeks, you can't blame him for taking a full ride. I see wearing a Hawkeye singlet in front of the sport's largest fan base as a better reward for his hard work than a full ride to wrestling for Nebraska. I can see it though, Meeks is my favorite high school wrestler to watch. Wrestles a lot of Jordan Burroughs.

Last edited:
Yawn, really didn't want either one. I'll take Peters,Clark,Devos and Gillman if possible. I think we will get 3 of the 4 just don't know which ones. Thanks for the info FF.

Peters is probably a career 125 which is kind of rare these days and would be nice. Gillman has a chance at holding the weight too but could easily grow into 133 at some point. Clark would probably start at 133 and possibly grow even more down the road.

I really hope that the Hawks land at least 2 of those guys and Devin Peterson for 197. The rest of the class would just be bonus after that!

Latest posts