"A bad Iowa team" - Cowherd

a clown fan with his head on his shoulders? this is new...

I am not sure about the head on his shoulders part...

ISU is 7-6 against Iowa since 1998, 4-2 in Ames.

There is no reason for ISU to fear Iowa. If anything, Iowa should be afraid of ISU. The game always seems to be closer than it should be, and ALWAYS gives me fits.

would it be fair to say we have upgraded talent in some of the vacated positions. Reisner to CJ, for example. Our D line has some good talent coming in and it would not be hard for them to out produce clayborn last year with Daniels getting the attention. the bowl game was fun to watch especially watching Vandenburg yell at stanzi when he threw a pick.

Cowherd doesn't actually think about half the crap he says so I out no stock in him.
I agree with your post. We have upgraded in several areas and I think the quality is there to have a great year. Obviously, it all come down to how well Vandy protects the ball. RB, Coker will have a huge year, WR, tell me a team that has better receivers than Iowa, TE, CJ is due for a huge year, OL, been reported to be one of the best in the nation, DB's, WOW the could be elite, DL, will blow people away this year and may be better than last year. The number of true freshmen and RS freshmen that are quality players is huge. I will stand by my prediction that Iowa will win 11 games and if they gel early, could run the table. And yes, I drink the coolade.

You do realize that even if we were 9-0 we'd still be called "bad" by someone.....Iowa is not flashy.

So many of these talking heads simply jump on and off the Iowa bandwagon. If Penn State, Notre Dame -- or any other "storied" program -- was in the same situation as Iowa, that team would still be ranked in the preseason Top 25.

That is the nature of the beast. There are so many talking heads (via Internet, radio, television) and so very few of them are credible. I can accept honest criticism of the program, but this is not going to be a "bad Iowa team." Iowa is beyond that now and Ferentz has built a solid program. Every so often a 6-6 or 7-5 season may sneak in but on average, Iowa should regularly expect to notch at least 8 wins in a season. That is what Ferentz has created. We aren't a "national title contender-type" program but we definitely are beyond the days of being a "bad team."

I like the bashing. Iowa seems to play better when the media overlooks them. I like being under the radar.

As for Cowherd, he's OK in small doses. He knows very little about the midwest and his takes can be very off-base.

I'd say the jury is still out on this team, as it is most years. A lot of new people at key positions. Most of us expect this team to be pretty good. But the rest of the world doesn't know much about it.

I'd say the jury is still out on this team, as it is most years. A lot of new people at key positions. Most of us expect this team to be pretty good. But the rest of the world doesn't know much about it.

I agree. I actually think our defense could be the factor in how good we are. Offensively I don't have an issue with any of the new starters.

A "healthy Iowa team" is....?

They can't even avoid a rare debilitating muscle disease. They have some sadistic god like figure who hates their running backs. Their best coverage LB can barely turn his neck. The offensive linemen have historically had troubles getting home in one piece after a night of drinking. This next man in ******** is really just that ( my apologies to the Missouri synod readers here. Earmuffs.)

Have we ever had a "healthy Iowa team"?

newsflash: national commentators know less about local team than diehard fans. film at 11.

Diehard Iowa fans know about as much as national commentators.

If you're realistic, you'll see from 8 to 6 wins for Iowa this season.

cibula11, being so optimistic with the d, do you expect Iowa to change their d scheme against NW, Purdue, or Wisky?
That sure would be a scoop.

Last edited:

cibula11, being so optimistic with the d, do you expect Iowa to change their d scheme against NW, Purdue, or Wisky?

they did change it for the missouri game.

Whatever schematic changes made still have to duly consider our personnel situation at the time.

When Iowa's personnel allows for it (i.e. experience at particular places, depth at others, etc) ... Iowa changes up the D a bit. So yeah ... the coaches would do it against NW and Purdue provided that we have the guys who can pull it off.

The problem with last year is that we had talent starting but its back up was too young so we could not make a lot of changes. we have added more talented depth and hopefully we do not have to use it as much.

Disagree. National commentators are much more well known...and much easier to figure out...than college football teams.

For instance, I imagine Cowherd would be tickled pink to get 65% of his picks right for NFL or NCAA games every week.

I, however, know for 100% certainty that Cowherd cares more about stirring the pot and "being provocative," than being accurate.

Maybe by "a bad Iowa team" he meant it in comparison to years past. It's hard to say what kind of team it will be.

Latest posts