99% have CTE. Football will be gone in 10 years. I'm serious.

Yep...I came to this realization a few years ago. In the not too distant future football will be almost unrecognizable.

And as much as I love this game...it might be for the best...

Yep...I came to this realization a few years ago. In the not too distant future football will be almost unrecognizable.

And as much as I love this game...it might be for the best...
Yep. When I think about watching stand up guys like Dallas Clark and Chad Greenway more than likely ending up with dementia in their 40s and 50s I can't really root for a sport to go on the way it is. Sucks.

*99% of participants in this study have evidence of CTE, The thing is, the family members of these players suspected they had issues, so there is a confirmation bias in this study. Additionally, it's far too small of a sample size (40-50 players or so) to definitively say a majority of football players have CTE, when there is hundreds of thousands of players suiting up every season.

People like to make the argument that football is dying, but in reality, it isn't going anywhere. Soccer, lacrosse, and other sports also have a similar rate of CTE sufferers, but they are not put under the microscope like football is. Football makes far too much money and is far too popular to die out, and unless definitive proof is revealed that says football is near certain to give you CTE, that will not change.

In addition, I would like to add that no one ever seems to acknowledge that football is voluntary. No one is forced to play. Yes, some play because they view it as a path to a better future, but a large majority do so simply for a love of the game. I have played for 11 years of my life now, with one final season to go. I know more about the risks today than I ever have, and I still would not change a second of it. Football has been extremely valuable to me, and the rewards far outweigh the risks in my experience.

my dad and I talked about this a few years ago. My dad was thinking if football will be around in the near future because of this, but it makes so much darn money both college and pro.

And yet this is this study of high school players that found no correlation............

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2635831

Still I am sure it will lead to limiting contact in practices and I would suggest ending contact football games before a kid reaches 10th or 11th grade. Most kids are never going on to play college football and far fewer ever playing in NFL.

I think this will also lead to much earlier retirements by pro players. Get paid and get out.

10 years is too soon for it do die out. Football currently makes way too much money. It will be more of a slow burn. A lot of parents are already starting to keep their kids out of football. I expect that to only get worse as these studies continue to make headlines.

I am still conflicted on whether or not I'd let my kid play football. The game is so much faster and stronger than even 15 years ago when I played. Plus the players don't wear as many pads as they used to. Anymore the NFL is a contest of which team loses the fewest players to season ending injuries.

To me it's not just the CTE. Most of these players have chronic injuries that last the rest of their lives. These guys come out of football barely able to walk.

Also, there could be a potential point where a therapy or medicine is developed that halts or reverses the damage that develops and progresses. A lot of money going into Alzheimers research and I would think NFL would be dumping money into CTE research as should all of the colleges if they want their sport to carry on.

Just think also how these players used to not even go out a play after suffering a concussion. because to be a tough guy you had to stay in there.

I am sure there will be sensors installed in all helmets before long that will measure individual contact on plays and then cumulative. Once you get a certain hit or cumulative hits you go out.

Additionally, it's far too small of a sample size (40-50 players or so) to definitively say a majority of football players have CTE, when there is hundreds of thousands of players suiting up every season.
110 out of 111 players is not a sample size of 40-50. You should know from high school that 111 is a good sample size and 99.1% confirmation rate is damn good evidence.

People like to make the argument that football is dying, but in reality, it isn't going anywhere.
Studies by the NFHSA and Football USA, among others, show that youth AND prep football participation rates are declining steadily. Regardless of the reason for decreasing numbers, you don't have college or professional football without high school football.

Football makes far too much money and is far too popular to die out, and unless definitive proof is revealed that says football is near certain to give you CTE, that will not change.
If peer-reviewed scientific studies aren't good enough, what will it take?

In addition, I would like to add that no one ever seems to acknowledge that football is voluntary. No one is forced to play. Yes, some play because they view it as a path to a better future, but a large majority do so simply for a love of the game. I have played for 11 years of my life now, with one final season to go. I know more about the risks today than I ever have, and I still would not change a second of it. Football has been extremely valuable to me, and the rewards far outweigh the risks in my experience.
If that's not bias I don't know what is. Look, I love football too and played up through high school. And I honestly don't see what I would interpret to be any symptoms of CTE. I never had a concussion and the hardest hit to the head I ever took was getting hit with a ball while base running in a college baseball game. But, I do think that when you move on to playing college football and beyond, the sheer number of hits (which get harder and more frequent the higher the level you play at) add up and it's been scientifically proven that repeated sub concussive hits and concussions cause brain damage. 110 out of 111 subjects, regardless of whether their family members suspected it, is convincing evidence. And way, waaaaay beyond this study are tons of people still alive who are speaking out about it now where it got swept under the rug.

Brett Farve says he can't remember his daughter being born and can't remember attending his kids sporting events. He also said he can't stand being in sunlight without sunglasses.

Bernie Kosar...listen to the guy speak and how he forms his sentences. It's short blocks of words similar to how a 4 year old talks and he sounds like he just slammed a 12 pack.

Jim McMahon says he can't leave the house anymore alone because he can only remember where he's going for about 10 minutes. He said at one point he pulled over in a random parking lot crying because he didn't know where he was, what he had left the house for, or how to get home.

Tony Dorsett, Lance Briggs, Antwaan Randle El, Jamal Lewis, Tim Shaw, Mark Duper, Dorsey Levens...all living players that have publicly admitted they've been diagnosed with ALS or early onset dementia and there are tons more.

I'm fine with personal choice; if someone knows the risks then it's their life. I also enjoy watching and following football and I don't apologize for that. But don't make the claim that something is bullshit when there's so much evidence out there staring you in the face. You really are going to sit here and tell us you think that all these football players got this way because of some miraculous coincidence? Come on man.

110 out of 111 players is not a sample size of 40-50. You should know from high school that 111 is a good sample size and 99.1% confirmation rate is damn good evidence.

Studies by the NFHSA and Football USA, among others, show that youth AND prep football participation rates are declining steadily. Regardless of the reason for decreasing numbers, you don't have college or professional football without high school football.

If peer-reviewed scientific studies aren't good enough, what will it take?

If that's not bias I don't know what is. Look, I love football too and played up through high school. And I honestly don't see what I would interpret to be any symptoms of CTE. I never had a concussion and the hardest hit to the head I ever took was getting hit with a ball while base running in a college baseball game. But, I do think that when you move on to playing college football and beyond, the sheer number of hits (which get harder and more frequent the higher the level you play at) add up and it's been scientifically proven that repeated sub concussive hits and concussions cause brain damage. 110 out of 111 subjects, regardless of whether their family members suspected it, is convincing evidence. And way, waaaaay beyond this study are tons of people still alive who are speaking out about it now where it got swept under the rug.

Brett Farve says he can't remember his daughter being born and can't remember attending his kids sporting events. He also said he can't stand being in sunlight without sunglasses.

Bernie Kosar...listen to the guy speak and how he forms his sentences. It's short blocks of words similar to how a 4 year old talks and he sounds like he just slammed a 12 pack.

Jim McMahon says he can't leave the house anymore alone because he can only remember where he's going for about 10 minutes. He said at one point he pulled over in a random parking lot crying because he didn't know where he was, what he had left the house for, or how to get home.

Tony Dorsett, Lance Briggs, Antwaan Randle El, Jamal Lewis, Tim Shaw, Mark Duper, Dorsey Levens...all living players that have publicly admitted they've been diagnosed with ALS or early onset dementia and there are tons more.

I'm fine with personal choice; if someone knows the risks then it's their life. I also enjoy watching and following football and I don't apologize for that. But don't make the claim that something is bullshit when there's so much evidence out there staring you in the face. You really are going to sit here and tell us you think that all these football players got this way because of some miraculous coincidence? Come on man.

Agree there is pretty tight correlation, but what is the real rate of how many (what %) develop this?? That is the question and why do some not have it or have a much slower progression. How is Mike Ditka still walking and talking? Maybe guys won't hit like they used to. It used to be cool to put your head down and smack someone. Maybe not so much any more and if you do well you are doing it at your own choice and if you are doing that to someone else (hitting in head) then toss them.

If there is a ton of money to be lost, which there is I think you will see a ton of money going into research including therapy to halt or reverse damage. So much advancement coming in medicine cannot imagine what we will see in 20 years. They keep saying everyone will be riding in a driverless vehicle by then and most won't even own a car. Hard to grasp.

The thing is if you didn't think there were risks to banging your head into someone elses over and over thousands of times than that's on you. I didn't need any study be it skewed or not to figure that out. It's almost like cigarettes or beer. You know that's all bad for you and what the risks are if you use them especially in excess. So a part of me thinks that the money is just so great that football just isn't going away. Especially not in a relatively short 10 yr time span. Mothers have been strapping their kids in helmets for years and years full well knowing the risks. So not only is there as much demand for it from the consumers but there's not going to be a shortage of players. To say they didn't know or it's worse than what they thought would be disingenuous. Maybe the lower levels will have a significant drop in participation but they'll still let em play in JR High and HS on up I bet. There won't be any drastic change in 10 yrs is my guess..

The first thing you will see is the shorter careers of NFL players, especially for the higher violent impact positions. If you are a RB, LB, and likely even a lineman, 8-10 years should probably be the max, and I think eventually you will see that go down from there. Hell, even concussion protocol hasn't been around that long, and actually enforced even less time (as many have stated, money is a big influence). Advances in prevention and monitoring will help some, but there will only be so much you can avoid with have strong, fast, and large players have become, even with shorter careers.

I think we will see a big decline in the number of youth going into football, which will decrease the talent pool. This has already happened in certain geographies. I love football, played through high school, but I am not sure I want my now 4 year old son to play it, definitely massive difference that what I would have contemplated just 5-10 years ago.

It'll be around for 20+ years likely, due to the money and love of the game, but it will continue to change. NFL and professional football will be first, followed by college. Selfishly, I don't care nearly as much about NFL, but the reality is if that declines and with it the money, that in itself would trickle down to college.

But fellas, don't sweat it, we'll still have the drone racing and professional online gaming leagues...ugh. That is until President Camacho institutes televised "public rehabilitation arenas" and the future Beef Supremes get crackin....sponsored by Brawndo and Clean Coal.

Pop Warner football is as popular as ever in Florida. Look at bthe number of Texas and Florida H.S. players who "transfer" in order to get visibility. In short, the game isn't going away.

I would suggest, though, that flag football be the rule, rather than the exception, through middle/junior high school.

Just like boxing is not going away and there continues to be willing participants. And I think everyone was aware of the risks there of repeatedly getting hit in the head and many of those end in knock outs.

There are always going to be some subset of parents out there which will allow their kids to play football.

Football will still probably be around, but I bet it will look much different such as taking every measure not to let players hit with heads or get hit in the head.

* No leading with head or even shoulder pad/head area - no collisions
* Must block with head straight up
* Must tackle without leading head - straight up
* Ball carrier no leading with head or diving forward in players - Pretty much run straight up

Pretty much play game straight up with no leading of the head or shoulders whatsoever. Would be even more of a technical game since much athletic ability will be suppressed.

After this would be two hand touch below the waist.

One thing missing, a control. What's the incidence of CTE in other athletes? or non-athletes? Lower, no doubt...but good science always has a control. I've read that soccer players also have pretty frequent CTE, so "non-contact" soccer isn't necessarily the answer either.

The irony is that better safety gear (primarily the helmet) has led to more violent collisions...and likely more CTE.

Could there be a component of CTE that is purely biological that some people are predisposed to? Could some individuals be predisposed to have degeneration more and the contact exacerbates the condition for them? Thinking out loud. The really disconcerting point about this, is that it is being found in younger players.

Latest posts