96 team NCAA Tourney "Done Deal"

How would a 96 team playoff work? Would there be a bye for certain team? Because when you get to what is now known as the Final Four, you'd have 6 teams...each bracket contains 16 teams. Other than the play-in game, each team has to win the same number of games to win a title in the tournament now...I'd hate to see that change.

Am I overthinking this?

My guess is you'd have 32 teams with byes.

64 teams playing the opening round, then the 32 winners are paired up with the 32 byes. Basically giving you one extra round.

I'm gonna be selfish here and say it's a good idea. It's a good idea because, obviously, it enhances the Hawks chances of making it in the future. Heck, hopefully next year we can at least be a bubble team for it if it's employed then.

I hope they also make the teams that win it's regular conference title an auto-qualifier. That way, a team like this year's UNI is ensured of getting in if it doesn't win its tournament.

My guess is you'd have 32 teams with byes.

64 teams playing the opening round, then the 32 winners are paired up with the 32 byes. Basically giving you one extra round.

That sounds to me like the death of the first round upsets...it will kill my love for the first thursday and friday of the tourney.

I'd hate to be on the selection committee for the 96.

Selection committee? You almost wouldn't need one. Take the top 9 teams from ten conferences, throw in 6 more for good measure, and you've got your tourny.

Crappy idea. There are too many teams in it as it is.

That sounds to me like the death of the first round upsets...it will kill my love for the first thursday and friday of the tourney.

Agree completely. The magic of the NCAA Tournament is seeing a mid-major knock off a 3 or 4 seed. With this set up, I imagine when you get down to 64 teams again, instead of the mid-majors, you will have the Big Ten's 7th place team in there instead instead of teams like Winthrop or Bradley.

Just cancel the regular season... play a few exhibition games and then start a tourney with every team in NCAA so everybody has a chance.

I love this idea. March Madness is one of the best sporting events of the year. How can more of that be bad?

For those that think it will cheapen the regular season, I don't see how. It's not like those December games against Prairie View A&M and South Carolina State are important with the current format.

There will still be plenty of upsets with an expanded tourney and it will still be exciting to watch. HawkeyeShane, if you love the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament, then this should make you ecstatic since you would basically be getting "the 1st round" twice in this new format.

I love this idea. March Madness is one of the best sporting events of the year. How can more of that be bad?

For those that think it will cheapen the regular season, I don't see how. It's not like those December games against Prairie View A&M and South Carolina State are important with the current format.

There will still be plenty of upsets with an expanded tourney and it will still be exciting to watch. HawkeyeShane, if you love the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament, then this should make you ecstatic since you would basically be getting "the 1st round" twice in this new format.

No it won't...I'll be getting ALOT of "Tuesday night play-in games"...

Unbelievable making the tournament will become meaningless. They can't figure out how to have football playoff, which everybody wants, And the one thing they have that's perfect they plan on ruining. What so like 8/9 teams will get in from BCS conferences and the valley get like 4/5 every year, how stupid, Drake would probably be on the bubble right now. One thing I think it ruins the thursday/Friday games. It's one thing to root for the 12/13 seeds to upset the big boys. But do you really care when 13 plays the 21st seed and they are both small schools, might as will watch the sun belt semi-finals. I'm also kind of curious what this will do for fans traveling is the 3rd round/normally 2nd round, going to spill over into monday/Tuesday. That's fun for fans can take 4 days off from work and if your team makes it to the sweet 16, your probably tapped out or out of vacation. NCAA for a "non-profit" organization is pretty damn greddy.

Last edited:
If there were message boards in 1985, I'm sure you guys would be the same one's complaining about expanding to 64 teams. "Cheapens the tournament". "Terrible idea". And so on. Seems like going to 64 teams was a damn good idea.

With the rapid addition of more 1A teams, going to 96 teams hardly cheapens the tournament or regular season. Less than 20% of the entire field gets to participate in the entire tournament currently. If you go to 96 teams, that number is still under 30%. So there is no comparison of this to college football where 50% of the field gets to play in the post season.

I love this idea. Bring on more March Madness!

Latest posts