7-5 is a memorable season for Iowa State?

All I know is any Hawk fan should buy that dude a beverage that assisted on the punt muff. He may not take kindly to it, but one of the best plays of 2019.

I would think their wonder boy QB goes pro after next year, which would be as soon as he would be eligible.

They would still argue the whole Big Ten is terrible. Big fish just feeding on the little fish.

There are not many conferences, if any, you can't say this about. Every conference has horrible teams that good teams feast on. Just look at the SEC with Arkansas and Vandy. Hell I'd wager Rutgers would give either of those 2 teams a decent fight.

They all seemed confident they would be better than last season despite losing Butler or Montgomery. That didn't seem grounded in reality and turns out it wasn't. They were at best, only as good as last season. Next season could be a rough one as they lose 4 starting OL, Pettway and Jones from their receiving corps, Lima, Bailey and Leo from their defensive line, and then possibly Eisworth and Kolar to the draft.

Bailey will be back. He was injured. Haven't heard anything on Eisworth and Kolar, wouldn't be surprised but I think they both have deficiencies. Not worried about the receivers, they'll have guys ready to step up IMO. What happens with the O line and what happens with Lima/Johnson's NG spot will determine how the season will go.

IMO they are better than they were last year, honestly I think significantly. They just lost a lot of close games, and IMO special teams really cost them this year. The punter Dunn getting injured really, really hurt this team.

The big 12 that will miss the college football playoffs? That big 12?

Big 12 fans rooting hard for Oregon this week for sure.

I really thought Iowa St. had a chance at a bowl game after Dec. 31 this year, which would have been the first in history which is really hard to believe. Not the case though.

In their defense, when exactly was the b10 west in them? Take all the tim you need. You’ll need it.

rXGXMnh.gif

Oh look, big “hawk” fan defending BigXII

Clone nerve got touched.

Huge surprise

It is kinda funny to read Iowa fans insulting ISU who is probably the best win on Iowa's schedule this season.

I get it, we're supposed to hate them but take emotion out of it. They lost to Oklahoma St at home and at Oklahoma, Baylor, and Kansas State. 2 great top 10 teams and 2 other good teams.

I guarantee if Iowa would have stepped up late against Wisconsin and Penn St and we're sitting at 11-1 right now just outside the top 4 in the playoffs. The same posters would be bragging about how good of a win it was complaining about disrespect.

It is kinda funny to read Iowa fans insulting ISU who is probably the best win on Iowa's schedule this season.

I get it, we're supposed to hate them but take emotion out of it. They lost to Oklahoma St at home and at Oklahoma, Baylor, and Kansas State. 2 great top 10 teams and 2 other good teams.

I guarantee if Iowa would have stepped up late against Wisconsin and Penn St and we're sitting at 11-1 right now just outside the top 4 in the playoffs. The same posters would be bragging about how good of a win it was complaining about disrespect.
You need to lay off the pipe if you think a 7-5 (zero wins vs ranked teams) ISU was Iowa’s “best win”.

You need to lay off the pipe if you think a 7-5 (zero wins vs ranked teams) ISU was Iowa’s “best win”.

What win was better than at ISU?

Minnesota at home? Maybe, they have a good offense. Illinois at home?

Every other P5 they beat was below .500

They would still argue the whole Big Ten is terrible. Big fish just feeding on the little fish.

In ISU fans defense though, they are really, really stupid. I mean if that is their rational about 6 top 20 times, just think how much OU and Baylor feasted on the 7 unranked teams they got to play in the Big12 this year.

Both fanbases are stupid about the SOS thing. Both the Big 10 and Big 12 are tough this year for several reasons. I think the Big 12 is deeper with quality teams. I think the Big 10 has more top end teams. Ultimately if you look at schedules mean rankings, etc there really isn't that big of a difference.

Both fanbases are stupid about the SOS thing. Both the Big 10 and Big 12 are tough this year for several reasons. I think the Big 12 is deeper with quality teams. I think the Big 10 has more top end teams. Ultimately if you look at schedules mean rankings, etc there really isn't that big of a difference.

B1G schedules are unbalanced, so they can vary. The Big12 if you are good, it is simply a cake walk. I mean OU had to beat 2 ranked teams. Here is what the top 6 teams in the B1G had to face:

Iowa faced (4 top 20 teams).
Wisconsin had to go through (4 top 20 teams).
Michigan had to play (4 top 20 teams).
Penn St. played (4 top 20 teams)

Only Minnesota and OSU only had to play 3 top 20 teams.

No matter what way you cut it, the B1G at the top was 100x stronger and more difficult than the Big12's top 2 teams faced. It isn't even close this year BryceC.

I know you put some stock in the efficiency rankings, as I have seen you mention them before. If we take a look at Football Outsiders Overall Efficiency, it kind of backs up what you are saying:

upload_2019-12-3_12-7-39.png

B1G has more representation in top 10 (3 vs. 1) and top 20 (6 vs. 2), but then the second tier of the Big XII is fairly strong (stronger than the 3rd tier of the B1G). If we wanted to parse it into the top 40 teams (arbitrarily), then B1G and Big XII both have 7 teams represented (avg ranking of B1G teams = 14.7, avg ranking of Big XII teams = 25).

But I think the most important thing to remember in all of this is that Maryland was ranked after the 2nd week of the season.

B1G schedules are unbalanced, so they can vary. The Big12 if you are good, it is simply a cake walk. I mean OU had to beat 2 ranked teams. Here is what the top 6 teams in the B1G had to face:

Iowa faced (4 top 20 teams).
Wisconsin had to go through (4 top 20 teams).
Michigan had to play (4 top 20 teams).
Penn St. played (4 top 20 teams)

Only Minnesota and OSU only had to play 3 top 20 teams.

No matter what way you cut it, the B1G at the top was 100x stronger and more difficult than the Big12's top 2 teams faced. It isn't even close this year BryceC.

I'll suffice it to say I think just looking at top 25 games is an incredibly stupid way to look at it. Because that's assuming there is a huge difference in the quality of team between the #24 team and the #34 team. There just isn't a big difference at that range.

Latest posts