6th through 8th in the Big Ten

The Big Ten lost only 1 game to the Big 12 (OSU vs KU), and won the ACC/Big Ten tournament. Do you care to show any stats or evidence of just how mediocre the Big Ten is???

I said OUTSIDE OF THE TOP FOUR TEAMS, the B1G is pretty mediocre.

Tell me, what have we done that's so impressive?

It's simple. Best wins for a number of top teams. IL is right in there with them and better. Compares worst losses between IL and IA. Compares SOS.

Rankings of the opponent in best wins on left.

So if Illinois goes 7-11 and Iowa goes 9-9 and both teams win a game in the BTT, do you think they will pick Illinois over Iowa for The Dance if the Illini have more quality wins?

I just checked the RPIs of the 3 quality teams left on our schedule. This is AFTER tonight's Illinois win at Minnesota...if I'm reading it right.

11 - Indiana
13 - Minnesota
28 - Illinois

Right now beating Minnesota is actually a better win than beating Illinois...but both would be huge for the Hawks. Note that Indiana is only marginally better than Minnesota.

Raisin Bran doesn't even know what he's saying anymore. I think some of his latter posts in this thread may actually contradict some of the earlier ones. He definitely has a lot to learn about college basketball.

Not really, Minnesota just isn't as good as everyone's made them out to be.

Hate to say it, but outside of the top 4 teams, the B1G is pretty mediocre.

Do you know how many Big 12 teams played Gonzaga? 5. Do you know how many Big 12 teams beat Gonzaga? 0. Do you know how many Big 12 teams came within 15 points of beating Gonzaga? 2. And Gonzaga didn't play TCU, Texas, or Texas Tech. My point is that the 8th place team in the Big Ten did what no one from the Big 12, not even the top dogs, could do. And they did it in Spokane, no less.
Also, look at West Virginia. They lost to Kansas State by 1, lost on a buzzer beater at ISU, lost at OK State by 14, and lost to Kansas by 5. In between those games, they lost to Purdue by 27.
Conclusion: Outside of the top 4, the teams in the Big Ten are mediocre by Big Ten standards, which makes them better than the good teams of every other conference.

Do you know how many Big 12 teams played Gonzaga? 5. Do you know how many Big 12 teams beat Gonzaga? 0. Do you know how many Big 12 teams came within 15 points of beating Gonzaga? 2. And Gonzaga didn't play TCU, Texas, or Texas Tech. My point is that the 8th place team in the Big Ten did what no one from the Big 12, not even the top dogs, could do. And they did it in Spokane, no less.
Also, look at West Virginia. They lost to Kansas State by 1, lost on a buzzer beater at ISU, lost at OK State by 14, and lost to Kansas by 5. In between those games, they lost to Purdue by 27.
Conclusion: Outside of the top 4, the teams in the Big Ten are mediocre by Big Ten standards, which makes them better than the good teams of every other conference.

Who the hell is talking about the Little 12??? Me? No, didn't think so?

RPI stupid. Says everything. Go check ours and tell me what it is.

Who the hell is talking about the Little 12??? Me? No, didn't think so?

RPI stupid. Says everything. Go check ours and tell me what it is.

The RPI does not say everything. Why don't you check the Pomeroy and Sagarin rankings to see where we are. I brought up the XII to show you the stark difference between the best and third-best conferences in the game. (I could call you stupid, but I don't because that's not an argument)

The RPI does not say everything. Why don't you check the Pomeroy and Sagarin rankings to see where we are. I brought up the XII to show you the stark difference between the best and third-best conferences in the game. (I could call you stupid, but I don't because that's not an argument)

When the selection committee pays more attention to Sagarin and Kenpom than RPI, give me a call.

PS, I'm not expecting a call anytime soon. We are NOT getting 8 teams in, no matter how much you want to dream on.

Illinois beat Gonzaga in Spokane.

I just checked the RPIs of the 3 quality teams left on our schedule. This is AFTER tonight's Illinois win at Minnesota...if I'm reading it right.

11 - Indiana
13 - Minnesota
28 - Illinois

Right now beating Minnesota is actually a better win than beating Illinois...but both would be huge for the Hawks. Note that Indiana is only marginally better than Minnesota.

Can you provide the link to the web site for these updated RPIs? Thanks!

So if Illinois goes 7-11 and Iowa goes 9-9 and both teams win a game in the BTT, do you think they will pick Illinois over Iowa for The Dance if the Illini have more quality wins?

Without a doubt. Whether the B1G gets 6,7, or 8 depends on how many Cinderellas are in. If there are a number of them and Iowa and IL don't pull off more big wins, then 6. If IL gets 8 B1G wins with or maybe without another big win, then an Iowa team with 10 wins and a much weaker schedule both NC and B1G gets passed. Right now I'd say I'd go with 7 with IL getting the 7th spot.

The key games for Illinois to get to 8 wins (win 40...are very winnable. The caveat is that NW and Purdue sort of own the Illinois regardless of records. The don't have to beat Iowa to get in unless they trip up against Purdue and NW. If there is one team the Illini match up well against the better B1G teams....it's Iowa. Short guards. Poor dribble drive shoot defense. Not a lot of big man scoring. White will have a lot of athletic 6-4 to 6-8 guys to go against him. Marble will be key. End result is that the Illini need to stumble (it's possible), and Iowa needs to beat Indiana and get 2 more big wins somewhere against a top 25 RPI team.
Wed, Feb 13Purdue
Sun, Feb 17at Northwestern
Thu, Feb 21Penn St.
Sun, Feb 24at (3) Michigan
Sat, Mar 2Nebraska
Tue, Mar 5at Iowa
Sun, Mar 10at (10) Ohio St.

We are NOT getting 8 teams in, no matter how much you want to dream on.

I didn't say we would. But consider that some self-proclaimed bracket experts were once predicting 6 Mountain West teams in the tournament, and now they're looking at 8, even 9 teams from the Big Least. Based on that notion, the Big Ten deserves at least 8 bids in the tournament. If they're thinking about letting Air Force or St John's in, they could think about Northwestern and Purdue in the same discussion.

I didn't say we would. But consider that some self-proclaimed bracket experts were once predicting 6 Mountain West teams in the tournament, and now they're looking at 8, even 9 teams from the Big Least. Based on that notion, the Big Ten deserves at least 8 bids in the tournament. If they're thinking about letting Air Force or St John's in, they could think about Northwestern and Purdue in the same discussion.

"were" is the key operative in that phrase. The Big Least has a lot more teams than us, and has put as many as 11 in before, so that's not a stretch. Expecting Northwestern or Purdue to make the tournament...that's a ******* pipe dream.

I predict the Big East will get 8, the B1G will get 7, and the MWC will get 4.

Minnesota could be 5-8 a week from now. They host Wisconsin and then play us on the road. If Iowa takes care of business against PSU and MN we will be no worse than tied for 6th this time next Sunday...making the safe assumption that Purdue will lose at least 1 this week (@ Illinois and @ Indiana).