6 Weeks til kickoff...Bloody Mary Recipes/Mixes...

Hawkfromnorwalk

I did this last season and it churned out some good discussions so I figured I would do it again this year. Each week leading up to kickoff I will start a thread regarding game day topics and people can just discuss them, things like recipes, game day traditions, experiences, etc.

So here we are six weeks away from kickoff, B1G media days is coming soon and fall camp starts in less than a couple of weeks. The idea for this topic is a good one, because I know a lot of people that have their own recipes or preferences in mixes. So let's discuss Bloody Mary mixes!

Over the last couple of seasons I made the switch from Finest Call Bloody Mary mix to Zing Zang. Zing Zang seems to have one of the better tasting mixes that I can find on a shelf. With that said however, I am inclined to use a recipe this year. I was at the Cumming Tap in Cumming, IA this spring and tried one of their Bloody's after I watched them make their mix. It was amazing so I asked the bartender if I could get the recipe which he shared with me and I will now share with you...

2 46oz cans of vegetable juice
1 10.5oz can of beef broth
1 10oz bottle of Worcestershire sauce
1 10oz bottle of real lime juice
2oz Louisiana hot sauce
1/2oz Tabasco

Compared with some recipes this one seemed pretty basic but it's got really good flavor. The addition of the beef broth takes it to a different level.

OK guys! What do you got!

Something, I have done is, take a "mexican shrimp cocktail" and just add vodka. It is rather weird, but I like it. I dont exactly go by the standard recipe you will find on the net. It's taken some adjustments to make it easier and the way I like it.
I like it because bloody marys seem to be a hang over thing, the food in it seems to be the right amount to help the ole gut out.

I did this last season and it churned out some good discussions so I figured I would do it again this year. Each week leading up to kickoff I will start a thread regarding game day topics and people can just discuss them, things like recipes, game day traditions, experiences, etc.

So here we are six weeks away from kickoff, B1G media days is coming soon and fall camp starts in less than a couple of weeks. The idea for this topic is a good one, because I know a lot of people that have their own recipes or preferences in mixes. So let's discuss Bloody Mary mixes!

Over the last couple of seasons I made the switch from Finest Call Bloody Mary mix to Zing Zang. Zing Zang seems to have one of the better tasting mixes that I can find on a shelf. With that said however, I am inclined to use a recipe this year. I was at the Cumming Tap in Cumming, IA this spring and tried one of their Bloody's after I watched them make their mix. It was amazing so I asked the bartender if I could get the recipe which he shared with me and I will now share with you...

2oz Louisiana hot sauce
1/2oz Tabasco

Compared with some recipes this one seemed pretty basic but it's got really good flavor. The addition of the beef broth takes it to a different level.

I'm going to give that recipe a chance in 2 weeks, HFN...thanks for posting it! One thing I've discovered that makes for a good Bloody Mary, "Bakon" vodka...and yes, it's bacon flavored vodka and it goes great in a BM! Give it a try and if you don't like it...you never saw this post...:D

Edit: I may tweek the recipe and go with Sriracha (god of all pepper sauces) instead of the Tobasco...may go half and half with the Louisiana...

Last edited:
I'm going to give that recipe a chance in 2 weeks, HFN...thanks for posting it! One thing I've discovered that makes for a good Bloody Mary, "Bakon" vodka...and yes, it's bacon flavored vodka and it goes great in a BM! Give it a try and if you don't like it...you never saw this post...:D

You are so correct! I had a bloody a few months back at the Ridgemont that used Bakon. It was weird drinking a vodka that tasted like bacon but you know what? It really works, especially in Bloody Mary's!

You are so correct! I had a bloody a few months back at the Ridgemont that used Bakon. It was weird drinking a vodka that tasted like bacon but you know what? It really works, especially in Bloody Mary's!

True dat homie...and M'town's Hy-Vee Wind and Spirits has it...as I'm sure most of them do. I have no interest in trying it as a shot, because I don't want to ruin how I view it as a BM mixer...did you try it alone?

True dat homie...and M'town's Hy-Vee Wind and Spirits has it...as I'm sure most of them do. I have no interest in trying it as a shot, because I don't want to ruin how I view it as a BM mixer...did you try it alone?

No I haven't. Like you I had it in a bloody. It works really well. I will get a bottle of that before tailgate season gets here.

I do love a good Bloody Mary on a tailgate morning, the smell of sausage and bacon in the crisp air...

So what games are you taking me to this year Norwalk? :D

I do love a good Bloody Mary on a tailgate morning, the smell of sausage and bacon in the crisp air...

So what games are you taking me to this year Norwalk? :D

I have to talk to the rest of the group but I am pretty sure we will have two or three games where there will be an extra ticket. Just remember, you are the designated beerbitch when you come!;)

I suppose since I posted in here I should answer the question. I'm a mix guy usually, Zing Zang is good but I don't really play favorites since I jazz mine up no matter what I use. I usually drop in some horseradish, worcestershire, and pickle juice. Then depending on how I feel I may add about a quarter of the bottle of tabasco. :D

I suppose since I posted in here I should answer the question. I'm a mix guy usually, Zing Zang is good but I don't really play favorites since I jazz mine up no matter what I use. I usually drop in some horseradish, worcestershire, and pickle juice. Then depending on how I feel I may add about a quarter of the bottle of tabasco. :D

Extras are always good. I may set up some kind of Bloody Mary bar at the tailgate this year. Just buy or make 3-4 mixes and then bring a ton of condiments and such. I better write that down on my tailgate "to do" list.

Norwalk- only thing I would suggest is try fresh limes instead of the bottled stuff. JMO, but fresh lime juice takes it over the top.:)

Vintagehawk got me into using pickles in the bloody's to garnish last year...a nice touch. In the past I've gone with green olives at times, and also add a few spoon fulls of pickled jalapeno juice on those chilly morns at the tailgate to warm the bones.

I like mine thick. There are some mixes out there that make the bloody mary's to watery. Major Peter's mix is pretty good and it's a thicker one.

2oz Louisiana hot sauce
1/2oz Tabasco

Norwalk, beef broth is a Bloody is nothing new. And it DOES add a definite richness to the drink.

My Bloody:

--2 oz. gin, vodka or aquavit (good luck finding it in Florida, easier in North/Northeast and Midwest)
--6 oz. tomato juice or V-8 (I really don't care which)
--1 oz. beef broth
--Dash Worcester
--Juice from 1 FRESH lemon
--Tabasco or other favorite hot sauce, preference to personal taste
--Teaspoon-to-tablespoon of my spice mix
--Sprinkle FRESH ground black pepper over top
--Optional: a glurb of horseradish
(I really don't care how you choose to garnish)

Spice mix: 4 ground dried New Mexico or Ancho chiles; 1 tbsp.garlic powder; 2 tsp. ground black pepper; onion powder (go light on this); 1 whole clove (yep, it's true). Put in processor and grind to almost a powder

I had a delicious habanero flavored beverage one morning at the Nickelodeon on the Coralville strip. Garnished with two green olives and a sliced pickle. Man was it spicy but oh so refreshing!

Will have to try the homemade recipe, but Zing Zang is some good mix. Another one is Hair of the Dog. It's distributed by an ex-Iowa BB player as many of you might remember Mark Gannon. It's more spicey than Zing Zang and has a good thick taste to it. No matter what your recipe is if you don't garnish with a Claussen pickle you might as well throw it out!!!

Norwalk- only thing I would suggest is try fresh limes instead of the bottled stuff. JMO, but fresh lime juice takes it over the top.:)

Vintagehawk got me into using pickles in the bloody's to garnish last year...a nice touch. In the past I've gone with green olives at times, and also add a few spoon fulls of pickled jalapeno juice on those chilly morns at the tailgate to warm the bones.

Yep, those Claussen dill spears are perfect in a bloody, better than any other garnish imho.
I love teh ZingZang, but it's sofa king thick! I always end up adding way too much vodka, to "thin out" the ZZ. :eek: :D

Latest posts