5 Reasons I'm Optimistic about Iowa Basketball

Fran is laying a very solid foundation and has done so in a short amount of time. The people crying about the details of this young team going through a learning process are a bunch of idiots. Get real or get lost.

These are the players of note each team definitely loses or potentially loses...definite due to eligibility (D) or possible due to early departure (P).

Michigan - Burke (P) and Hardaway (P)
Indiana - Hulls (D), Watford (D), Oladipo (P) and Zeller (P)
Michigan State - Nix (D)
Ohio State - Thomas (P)
Wisconsin - Evans (D), Bruesewitz (D) and Berggren (D)
Minnesota - Ingram (D), Mbakwe (D) and Williams (D)
Purdue - Byrd (D)
Northwestern - Marcotullio (D) and Hearn (D)
Illinois - Richardson (D), Paul (D) and Griffey (D)
Iowa - May (D)
Nebraska - Didn't check
Penn State - Didn't check

Michigan, Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois will definitely feel those losses...especially the latter 3. Michigan State, Purdue and Iowa don't lose much and should make strides.

Saying every team will make strides makes no sense. It's also worth noting that Iowa will be adding 3 players and 2 of them are not coming out of high school but rather off red shirts.

Good stuff. As another poster said, I would add Glen Robinson III to this list. He may be the best pro prospect in the entire conference. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him be the top pick from the B10 in next year's draft.

I almost put him on the list but he looked like he was in over his head at Indiana. I suspect he will leave if he's going to go in the 1st round. I don't think he's ready so I left him off the list but this is certainly a fair consideration.

I think Glenn Robinson III may go pro for Michigan too, seeing him in some of the mock drafts.

There are also some lock down defenders on that list. Even if there's talent coming in to replace them the defense will almost certainly drop. I mention this because of our offensive struggles this year. Much of it has to do with our struggles but some of it has to do with the defense other teams play. I hate the idea of facing the freshman big man for Purdue the next 3 years...kind of contradicts what I just said about freshmen but he's a shot blocker.

In optimistic too. We are a player away, a year of experience away, from a dancing team. If we don't win most of these close games next year I will be disappointed but this year I think we are where u think we should be.

Latest posts