40 points allowed in 12:57

Michigan State is just better plain and simple.

Better coached for sure. This MSU team certainly doesn't dazzle with NBA lottery picks. Aside for the PG gap MSU isn't that much more talented than us. They just play harder and smarter and I call that coaching.

We're a better team with Connor than without him.

Not picking on Connor, good kid. But that isn't really saying much when we don't have a really good PG to compare him to. Of course we are better with him than not having anyone. But we would be MUCH better with the quick PG we've all been clamoring for.

Not picking on Connor, good kid. But that isn't really saying much when we don't have a really good PG to compare him to. Of course we are better with him than not having anyone. But we would be MUCH better with the quick PG we've all been clamoring for.
He has height. He has a high basketball IQ. He has a 3 to 1 assist to TO ratio. He doesn't mind physical play...contact. And he shoots 79.2% from the line so he's another ball handler late with a lead.

Quicker doesn't equal better. We've had quick PGs that didn't last long. Of course we would all love to have some of the top tier PGs we didn't get. I would also like to have the best player from Duke, Kentucky and NC. But they aren't here and they aren't going to be here this year.

When all is said and done we need to overcome any disadvantage at PG with our advantage at the 4 and 5 in most games. Win some position battles. Lose some position battles. Just end up with a net gain of 1 point at the buzzer.

He has height. He has a high basketball IQ. He has a 3 to 1 assist to TO ratio. He doesn't mind physical play...contact. And he shoots 79.2% from the line so he's another ball handler late with a lead.

Quicker doesn't equal better. We've had quick PGs that didn't last long. Of course we would all love to have some of the top tier PGs we didn't get. I would also like to have the best player from Duke, Kentucky and NC. But they aren't here and they aren't going to be here this year.

When all is said and done we need to overcome any disadvantage at PG with our advantage at the 4 and 5 in most games. Win some position battles. Lose some position battles. Just end up with a net gain of 1 point at the buzzer.

I would agree on taking advantage of our 4 and 5 positions. We are trying to, but also have to be able to get past the pressure up front to deliver the ball to our scorers.
It is great he can shoot free throws, put him in when we have a lead at the end. But he's shooting 35% FG for the year so...

I would agree on taking advantage of our 4 and 5 positions. We are trying to, but also have to be able to get past the pressure up front to deliver the ball to our scorers.
It is great he can shoot free throws, put him in when we have a lead at the end. But he's shooting 35% FG for the year so...
He's only taken 62 shots on the season. That's less than 3 per game and only 1 more attempt than Dailey...despite playing 96 more minutes than Dailey. He takes a shot every 6 minutes 21 seconds of floor time.

He's facilitating rather than hunting shots. I'm sure this is because we have plenty of scorers...and upperclassmen. He did the same thing his first 2 years of high school. Throw in some beat the shot clock attempts and fouls not called when he drives to the basket and the sample size is too small IMO. I have zero doubt he is a better overall shooter and 3 point shooter (only 12 attempts) than his percentages suggest.

Another stat that supports my position on getting hacked, etc. Only Cook has shot more FTs this season than Connor. This is true even though all 5 starters and Baer play more minutes.

So let's all stop pretending that Connor isn't helping us overall or on the offensive end. He's getting to the line. He's getting assists. He's not turning the ball over. He's helping to get opposing players in foul trouble. He's making a decent percentage on FTs.

Question...Do missed shots when fouled (in the act of shooting) count as FG attempts? I honestly don't know the answer. If they do then that's also driving Connor's FG percentage down.

He's only taken 62 shots on the season. That's less than 3 per game and only 1 more attempt than Dailey...despite playing 96 more minutes than Dailey. He takes a shot every 6 minutes 21 seconds of floor time.

He's facilitating rather than hunting shots. I'm sure this is because we have plenty of scorers...and upperclassmen. He did the same thing his first 2 years of high school. Throw in some beat the shot clock attempts and fouls not called when he drives to the basket and the sample size is too small IMO. I have zero doubt he is a better overall shooter and 3 point shooter (only 12 attempts) than his percentages suggest.

Another stat that supports my position on getting hacked, etc. Only Cook has shot more FTs this season than Connor. This is true even though all 5 starters and Baer play more minutes.

So let's all stop pretending that Connor isn't helping us overall or on the offensive end. He's getting to the line. He's getting assists. He's not turning the ball over. He's helping to get opposing players in foul trouble. He's making a decent percentage on FTs.

Question...Do missed shots when fouled (in the act of shooting) count as FG attempts? I honestly don't know the answer. If they do then that's also driving Connor's FG percentage down.

I'm pretty sure this is how it goes: When you get fouled on a shot and make it, it counts as a made and attempted FG. But if you miss it does not count as a FG attempt.

The offense does look smooth most of the time Connor is at PG.

The B1G coaches have caught onto him though: his defender sags off of him FT line and plus and takes away passing lanes to the paint. they know he's not going to shoot 3s. he passes on wide open looks to garza and kreiner.

his drives to the basket are not as effective in the B1G; the defender stays with him and a big comes over to challenge or block his FGA.

He needs to adapt his game: easy solution -- shoot when they leave you open. and knock down 35% or so. that'll improve the Iowa offense even more.

Frederick (sp) won Kentucky's Mr. Basketball I believe.

Connor's FTs ... he has 72 free throw attempts on the season. Nearly half (37) have come in 4 games (8 vs Green Bay, 11 vs UConn, 10 vs Western Carolina, and 8 vs Iowa State). These were all wins where some of those FTs came late in the game when opponents were fouling Connor to try and catch up.

So, the Big 10 teams have scouted him and are sagging off him (allowing him open shots if he wants) and not fouling him for the most part. I believe he will get better at this as his career unfolds, but he has work to do.

The offense does look smooth most of the time Connor is at PG.

The B1G coaches have caught onto him though: his defender sags off of him FT line and plus and takes away passing lanes to the paint. they know he's not going to shoot 3s. he passes on wide open looks to garza and kreiner.

his drives to the basket are not as effective in the B1G; the defender stays with him and a big comes over to challenge or block his FGA.

He needs to adapt his game: easy solution -- shoot when they leave you open. and knock down 35% or so. that'll improve the Iowa offense even more.
I agree. He needs to take and make a few 3s. But I do like him drawing fouls.

Connor's FTs ... he has 72 free throw attempts on the season. Nearly half (37) have come in 4 games (8 vs Green Bay, 11 vs UConn, 10 vs Western Carolina, and 8 vs Iowa State). These were all wins where some of those FTs came late in the game when opponents were fouling Connor to try and catch up.

So, the Big 10 teams have scouted him and are sagging off him (allowing him open shots if he wants) and not fouling him for the most part. I believe he will get better at this as his career unfolds, but he has work to do.
Good to know. I didn't dig that far. Thanks! And I agree he will get better. I know it's his 2nd year but he is just a (RS) freshman going through all of this for the first time.

How many times has a player been 1 for 12 on the season and gone 4 for 4 against Iowa. Maybe Connor can return that favor in the near future. I know I for one won't find it as frustrating as when the opponent does it.

Fair points and understand. I think his value would seem far greater if we did have that great guard ahead of him that he spelled. When Michigan was pressing last night it sure seemed we didn't have a go to guy to get the ball to as the PG. Not sure why teams don't press us more... but glad they don't.

Fair points and understand. I think his value would seem far greater if we did have that great guard ahead of him that he spelled. When Michigan was pressing last night it sure seemed we didn't have a go to guy to get the ball to as the PG. Not sure why teams don't press us more... but glad they don't.
That was a desperation press. They were double teaming and trapping over the backcourt. They couldn't do that the whole game. Even with our guards we would eventually shred it. Or we would keep someone like Garza in the back court to use his height and pass over the top of it.

Once again, Fran had to pull Moss. He pulled him late in the Iowa State game for picking up his dribble just past half court. Against Michigan he pulled him for inbounding to JBo right under the basket where he was quickly trapped.

Latest posts