40 points allowed in 12:57

Yup, hate to simplify things but it really does boil down to the fact that until we get an ELITE guard we just won't be able to beat the big boys. But, this comment could just be put on repeat as we all know too well.

We can still beat the big boys without an elite point guard. It would just take an upset. An elite point guard (or 2 guard) on this team would make us one of the big boys. As in a top 5 big boy.

I also knew we were in trouble early when MSU was playing great defense right away. I was really hoping to catch them on a night where they didn't bring max effort and it was apparent early that it didn't happen.

I saw our guards went 2-14 on 3s. If they go 7-14 we have a nail bitter down the stretch. They were good enough looks, they just didn't make them. I think we all knew it would take a good shooting night to have a chance. It was a very bad sign how well they shot the game before.

A lot of a shot were in and out. I mean so close, but just didn’t go through. Jordan’s first 2 3’s were like this. Weiskamp had one in and out, cook and Garza had several inside like this as well. We had good looks, they were sloppy early, so we had our chance to build a 15-20 point lead to withstand their eventual run. We didn’t do it tho, so instead of being close at the end, it was a blowout.

I also knew we were in trouble early when MSU was playing great defense right away. I was really hoping to catch them on a night where they didn't bring max effort and it was apparent early that it didn't happen.

I saw our guards went 2-14 on 3s. If they go 7-14 we have a nail bitter down the stretch. They were good enough looks, they just didn't make them. I think we all knew it would take a good shooting night to have a chance. It was a very bad sign how well they shot the game before.

Damn you "Law of Averages"....

Or 2 guard. Our 2 guard kills us more than our point guard for sure. Replace Moss with Marble or Jok and we're a top 10 team.

I concur. You don't necessarily need a top level PG but if you don't have one, you most certainly need a 2 or 3 man that can consistently create his own shot when needed.

Or 2 guard. Our 2 guard kills us more than our point guard for sure. Replace Moss with Marble or Jok and we're a top 10 team.
You need an elite PG to play defense, disrupt, as well as get to the basket to break down the defense. PGs that take 25-27 foot 3 pointers don't disrupt much.

Iowa has played for decades without a reliable player or two to penetrate and break down the opponent. Throwing Iowa in the "also ran" pile.

Hoping the new waterbug recruit can help.

The 2nd half reminded me of last year. But that was MSU we were playing. I think it is a blip on the screen not the new norm.

I got back to my seat late after halftime icecream line took forever. As soon as I sat down MSU went on their run :\

You need an elite PG to play defense, disrupt, as well as get to the basket to break down the defense. PGs that take 25-27 foot 3 pointers don't disrupt much.

Iowa has played for decades without a reliable player or two to penetrate and break down the opponent. Throwing Iowa in the "also ran" pile.

Hoping the new waterbug recruit can help.

Or a 2 guard that can do all of that. You just cant have a bad defender at the 1 and the 2. If Moss was capable of locking down the opponent's best guard, we would be fine without a good defender at point. Its dumb to complain about our point guard on offense because our offense is really good.

Rebounding and shooting were by far the biggest problem last night. Our point guard defense and lack of penetrating guards were nowhere near as big of a problem as those 2.

Or a 2 guard that can do all of that. You just cant have a bad defender at the 1 and the 2. If Moss was capable of locking down the opponent's best guard, we would be fine without a good defender at point. Its dumb to complain about our point guard on offense because our offense is really good.

Rebounding and shooting were by far the biggest problem last night. Our point guard defense and lack of penetrating guards were nowhere near as big of a problem as those 2.
Our weakness are legion vs final 4 caliber teams.

Big difference between a top 50 team and a top 5-6 team.

Top 5-6 teams have players headed to the NBA, early, the top 50 have players who need to learn a foreign language.

Our weakness are legion vs final 4 caliber teams.

Big difference between a top 50 team and a top 5-6 team.

Top 5-6 teams have players headed to the NBA, early, the top 50 have players who need to learn a foreign language.

We cant probably be a legit top 5 team. What is possible is becoming a legit top 15 team that is capable of earning a top 5 ranking with upsets and getting on a roll. Top 15 teams are also capable of beating top 5 teams 40% of the time give or take.

We cant probably be a legit top 5 team. What is possible is becoming a legit top 15 team that is capable of earning a top 5 ranking with upsets and getting on a roll. Top 15 teams are also capable of beating top 5 teams 40% of the time give or take.
NBA talent is so much different than average talent. Apples/Oranges

Iowa has had a pretty good year and has won vs the soft side. There is a big talent gap to get up there.

The 3 point shot can be an equalizer, but talent rules, and has an "extra gear" to shift into if needed, such as MSU flicking Iowa aside last night when needed.

We can still beat the big boys without an elite point guard. It would just take an upset. An elite point guard (or 2 guard) on this team would make us one of the big boys. As in a top 5 big boy.

I would agree. This team is a top ten team with a good PG. I really hope Connor sticks to baseball.

I would agree. This team is a top ten team with a good PG. I really hope Connor sticks to baseball.

I'd rather he start to shoot the ball when open... He was a 41%(57-139) 3pt shooter his senior year of HS, 37.1% 46-124) as a junior.

He struggled shooting the ball earlier in the year and has pretty much abandoned it. Defenses are now sagging off of him and denying his opportunities to penetrate and score/create for others. He's physical enough to bully his way into a few easy baskets if given the opportunity to get a step on his man, ie like how he played in NY.

While not the elite athlete we all would like to see, he is more than competent enough to be a serviceable player at this level.

I'm interested to see what Joe T can bring to this team next season (maybe he's the answer or at least part of it on defense).

I'd rather he start to shoot the ball when open... He was a 41%(57-139) 3pt shooter his senior year of HS, 37.1% 46-124) as a junior.

He struggled shooting the ball earlier in the year and has pretty much abandoned it. Defenses are now sagging off of him and denying his opportunities to penetrate and score/create for others. He's physical enough to bully his way into a few easy baskets if given the opportunity to get a step on his man, ie like how he played in NY.

While not the elite athlete we all would like to see, he is more than competent enough to be a serviceable player at this level.

I'm interested to see what Joe T can bring to this team next season (maybe he's the answer or at least part of it on defense).
I agree he needs to shoot when left wide open...may only mean once or twice a game. But he has to be a threat.

Right now he's doing exactly what he did in high school. He was a facilitator his first 2 years and didn't look to score much. His last 2 years he started looking for his shots while running the team. I do understand why he's doing it. We have a lot of shooters/scorers. But he has to take a couple outside shots if they leave him wide open. In the Big 10 every player has to be a threat to score.

I agree he needs to shoot when left wide open...may only mean once or twice a game. But he has to be a threat.

Right now he's doing exactly what he did in high school. He was a facilitator his first 2 years and didn't look to score much. His last 2 years he started looking for his shots while running the team. I do understand why he's doing it. We have a lot of shooters/scorers. But he has to take a couple outside shots if they leave him wide open. In the Big 10 every player has to be a threat to score.

Agreed. Not taking those shots and allowing the defender to sag off him ruins the spacing for the rest of the offense.

Latest posts