40 points allowed in 12:57

1977Hawkeye

After just 31 in the first. What the heck happened to the defense? Its not a 20 minute game.

Until Iowa starts committing to playing 40 minutes if defense, every game, they're always going to be looking up at those at the top of the conference.

I'm probably overstating the obvious, but our team doesn't seem to realize it, so thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
After just 31 in the first. What the heck happened to the defense? Its not a 20 minute game.

Until Iowa starts committing to playing 40 minutes if defense, every game, they're always going to be looking up at those at the top of the conference.

I'm probably overstating the obvious, but our team doesn't seem to realize it, so thought I'd mention it.

The 2nd half defense wasnt good. But Iowa also shot awful in the 2nd, even on open looks. Those 2 things together...against #6 catching fire with amped up def = getting blown out.

The 2nd half defense wasnt good. But Iowa also shot awful in the 2nd, even on open looks. Those 2 things together...against #6 catching fire with amped up def = getting blown out.

Yeah that's true, and missing shots in an up tempo style leads to quick opportunities the other way.. Good way to get blown out fast.

Msu defense was frustrating and draining iowas energy. And msu got in the advantage on transition very easily after missed shots.

Their defense was definitely frustrating Wiescamp. After he was forced into that traveling violation on a move he has been making at will he lost his agressiveness.

We were into them pretty good on defense for twenty five minutes. But Winston started turning the tide. I commented in the game thread at the first media timeout of the second half that Sparty was starting to heat up. That we needed a couple stops to get our bearings. It didn't happen. We lost all semblance of the defense we played earlier. Teams like Michigan State can do that to you.

I turned game off after their 15-2 run and Fran not calling a time out. I guess he thinks they are gold or something. They had 19 TO and we got almost nothing to go along with them out RB us 42-26. Someone said the guard play would be the difference and it was!

I turned game off after their 15-2 run and Fran not calling a time out. I guess he thinks they are gold or something. They had 19 TO and we got almost nothing to go along with them out RB us 42-26. Someone said the guard play would be the difference and it was!
Lack of points off turnovers was a huge factor when the game was still in doubt. Since our guards generally can't finish at the rim in transition they have to compensate by quick-shooting threes. Last night it didn't work. Absolutely a huge factor and well documented in the game thread.

Iowa is what it is. Beating a Michigan, MSU or Maryland will take an off night by them. That is basically how the really good teams lose in basketball. It isn’t like all of a sudden Iowa (or insert any team) is better than them, it boils down to if they had an off night and the opponent can take advantage of that. I was saying that it was a bad sign early when MSU had 5 turnovers and we had 4 points, and when we led at half by 4 when it should have been a 15 point lead. They let us have a chance in the first half when they were playing poorly, but we didn’t take advantage.

They started drilling 3s. Winston finally decided to take over
Yep, Winston hit 3 3s in about a 3 minute span that resulted in the game being tied up. That derailed the Hawks as they began to press knowing MSU was starting to hum on offense and went cold for basically the rest of the game.

Winston knew his team needed a jolt and he was money... Sometimes good players and teams are just better. Combine that with Iowa going cold on offense and that caused the defense to start to drag... End result is unfortunately what happened in the second half last night.

Just don't let this game bite you twice. Flush it and head to the barn mentally ready.

Yep, Winston hit 3 3s in about a 3 minute span that resulted in the game being tied up. That derailed the Hawks as they began to press knowing MSU was starting to hum on offense and went cold for basically the rest of the game.

Winston knew his team needed a jolt and he was money... Sometimes good players and teams are just better. Combine that with going cold on offense and that caused the defense to start to drag... End result is unofortunately what happened in the second half last night.

Just don't let this game bite you twice. Flush it and head to the barn mentally ready.

Totally agree on flushing this loss. I think the only way this loss hurts Iowa in the slightest is if they let it linger and affect them vs Minnesota.

MSU is just better, period. They are better than almost everyone in the nation and will be a 1 seed. They are the #5 offensive efficieny and #6 defensive efficiency team in the nation.

Before the game, I thought Iowa needed to make 10-13 3s to have a chance to win. Despite having open looks by some of the best shooters in the B1G, they did not. Cook missed 3 point blank shots in a row at the start of MSUs 24-2 run. Those simply aren’t recoverable vs a top 5 team.

I thought Iowa ran good offense, took care of the ball, didn’t waste many possessions, took good shots and played D with good effort. They just couldn’t make the buckets they usually make. It happens. This wasn’t a a poor effort loss. There is a reason that was 21 in a row in the B1G for MSU and 12 on the road.

If Iowa plays they way they did vs MSU and shoots even only slightly below average they beat every other team in the B1G at home and all but the top few on the road.

JBo and Connor can't defend anyone and can't make their own shot. That's pretty much it.

Yup, hate to simplify things but it really does boil down to the fact that until we get an ELITE guard we just won't be able to beat the big boys. But, this comment could just be put on repeat as we all know too well.

Iowa is what it is. Beating a Michigan, MSU or Maryland will take an off night by them. That is basically how the really good teams lose in basketball. It isn’t like all of a sudden Iowa (or insert any team) is better than them, it boils down to if they had an off night and the opponent can take advantage of that. I was saying that it was a bad sign early when MSU had 5 turnovers and we had 4 points, and when we led at half by 4 when it should have been a 15 point lead. They let us have a chance in the first half when they were playing poorly, but we didn’t take advantage.

I also knew we were in trouble early when MSU was playing great defense right away. I was really hoping to catch them on a night where they didn't bring max effort and it was apparent early that it didn't happen.

I saw our guards went 2-14 on 3s. If they go 7-14 we have a nail bitter down the stretch. They were good enough looks, they just didn't make them. I think we all knew it would take a good shooting night to have a chance. It was a very bad sign how well they shot the game before.

Latest posts