4-Star OL Matt Farniok on Top 4: 'These Schools Have Proven to Help Linemen'

nilekinnick

I would think Iowa has a nice chance if his goal is to be the best possible O lineman

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pad&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=teamstream

As the third of four talented brothers preparing for his senior year of high school, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, standout Matt Farniok refuses to let the recruiting process work a nerve.

Farniok has had enough tutelage from his older brothers to let the process of finalizing his college future get to him. College football fans will recognize his older brothers, former Iowa State center Tom and current Oklahoma tackle Derek. Tom now is an NFL rookie for the Minnesota Vikings, and Derek is preparing for his redshirt senior year with the Sooners.

The older brothers have their recruiting stories, and now it's Matt's turn to choose a school that best suits him.

Wednesday evening, the 4-star Washington High School lineman—the No. 1 player out of South Dakota—confirmed to Bleacher Report that he has a top four of Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State and Florida State. All four schools, he said, are expected to receive official visits.

"They are all really good programs athletically," said Farniok, now 6'6" and 311 pounds. "They have really good O-line programs that I'm interested in. These schools have proven to help linemen get to the next level. Talking to all the coaches, they seem like good guys who I can learn from."

Farniok is a versatile lineman who can play either tackle or guard. He comes from a family of college athletes. In addition to his older brothers, his father, Brad, was a lineman for St. Cloud State in Minnesota in the 1980s. His uncle Bob Reeves played tight end at South Dakota State in the 1980s and was also a star pitcher for the school's baseball team.

Farniok has the size, length and first-step quickness to be a solid tackle at the next level and plays with a mean streak to where he can handle interior defensive linemen as a guard. He is ranked by the 247Sports composite as the nation's No. 22 tackle.

Farniok has 17 reported offers but will take his skill set either to the Big Ten or the ACC. Florida State is the only ACC school in his top four, and while he has yet to visit the campus, he's attracted by what he's seen on television and enjoys the conversations with offensive line coach Rick Trickett.

"They've been a really good program for a while now, and they have some really good O-linemen come out," Farniok said. "They have an excellent coaching staff, and they have all of the major criteria I'm looking for. I'd feel good with them."

Michigan State is another school he has yet to see, but he is looking forward to doing so on an official visit. Farniok likes how the Spartans are consistently winning football games in a competitive conference.

"Talking with the coaches and researching what the place is all about, they're standing out to me," he said of Michigan State. I'm really getting to know the coaches there. They have the style of football I like."

Nebraska and Iowa are two schools to keep an eye on as Farniok looks to make a decision. He's been to both campuses on multiple occasions and has established great relationships with the offensive line coaches from both schools. Nebraska has Mike Cavanaugh, while Iowa has Brian Ferentz.

I like the atmosphere at Nebraska," he said. "I've been there a couple of times, so I feel like I can fit in there. I get along with the players, and meeting the new staff, I felt like we got along fine.

"I know Iowa produces really good O-linemen. That's a main thing with me. Talking with the coaches, I get along well with them. I'm able to talk and really be relaxed around them."

A noticeable fact is that Farniok has chosen to make his own path and not follow the footsteps of his brothers—even though he had offers from Oklahoma and Iowa State. He said his top four was decided with the help of advice of his brothers.

The objective was, he said, "Trust yourself."

"In all reality, there are people who say they want me to go here or go there," Farniok said. "When it comes down to it, it's all about what you want for yourself and not trying to please everyone. You have to make sure you go to the school you feel you fit the best."

Farniok said he will make his decision after his senior year. He wants to focus on becoming a leader for Washington and doing his part to ensure the team gets as many wins as possible.

As for selecting a winner out of his top four, Farniok said he will continue doing his research and conversing with coaches. It's a decision he wants to make sure is the right one.

"Some want me at tackle, and others say they can rotate me in all positions," he said. "I'm fine playing all positions. I just want to do my research closely. We'll see what happens from there."

Cyfans are waiting to see if he goes to a different school so they can celebrate him not going to Iowa. They will somehow see that as a victory for ISU.

I like our chances. I think it's down to us and Neb. He's only going to FSU to impress his buddies and get a pretty sweet experience out of it. I'm guessing MSU is too far from home.

Finding a way to have success running the ball...and beating nebby will both play in our favor. Pretty simple, win 8+ games and I think we got a pretty good shot.

A rb with good vision and cut back ability can make an oline look very good. We haven't had that in a while. I absolutely loved MW, but neither he nor the other backs over the last 3-4 years have had good vision or cut back ability. Canzeri has shown some, but needs to stay healthy. Despite much angst against the play call of the stretch run play, there were 6+ times in almost every game where a cut back lane developed, and was missed....it's a staple of a stretch run play, but it's very hard to coach vision. I'll take vision and cut ability over more speed every day of the week...when you have both...booyah.

To be honest, the other 3 teams have significantly better overall programs than Iowa, obviously.
But I dont think any of them have a better track record, specifically with Oline.

This kid looks very legit, coachable, hard nosed, and has pedigree, without any noticeable ego. I gotta believe we go hard after him. But, gotta wins games...

Finding a way to have success running the ball...and beating nebby will both play in our favor. Pretty simple, win 8+ games and I think we got a pretty good shot.

A rb with good vision and cut back ability can make an oline look very good. We haven't had that in a while. I absolutely loved MW, but neither he nor the other backs over the last 3-4 years have had good vision or cut back ability. Canzeri has shown some, but needs to stay healthy. Despite much angst against the play call of the stretch run play, there were 6+ times in almost every game where a cut back lane developed, and was missed....it's a staple of a stretch run play, but it's very hard to coach vision. I'll take vision and cut ability over more speed every day of the week...when you have both...booyah.

To be honest, the other 3 teams have significantly better overall programs than Iowa, obviously.
But I dont think any of them have a better track record, specifically with Oline.

This kid looks very legit, coachable, hard nosed, and has pedigree, without any noticeable ego. I gotta believe we go hard after him. But, gotta wins games...

the thing about having so many commits right now - #1 you know who you have to recruit (your commits) and #2 you can expend a lot of focus on the last few 'must haves' -

the thing about having so many commits right now - #1 you know who you have to recruit (your commits) and #2 you can expend a lot of focus on the last few 'must haves' -
Good point. If we can land Farniok, this 2017 class could be outstanding with possibly four 4 stars. We already have a verbal from 4* DT Juan Harris. We have a couple more waiting in the wings within 30 minutes of Iowa City with OT Tristan Wirfs who is a 4* OT out of Mt. Vernon .... and a very high 3* ATH Jacob Coons out of Solon. Coons stock continues to rise and he could very easily end up being a 4* by the end of his junior year.

Cyfans are waiting to see if he goes to a different school so they can celebrate him not going to Iowa. They will somehow see that as a victory for ISU.

This X a 1000. They will have to find something to celebrate after a 4 or less win season.

Good point. If we can land Farniok, this 2017 class could be outstanding with possibly four 4 stars. We already have a verbal from 4* DT Juan Harris. We have a couple more waiting in the wings within 30 minutes of Iowa City with OT Tristan Wirfs who is a 4* OT out of Mt. Vernon .... and a very high 3* ATH Jacob Coons out of Solon. Coons stock continues to rise and he could very easily end up being a 4* by the end of his junior year.

he's 2016, no??

Agreed with everything you posted. Less than 8 wins and it is going to get ugly. Any shot of getting him will be gone because he is probably looking for stability which Iowa will not have. The coaching staff could very well be out the door by the end of the 2016 season.

"They are all really good programs athletically," said Farniok, now 6'6" and 311 pounds. "They have really good O-line programs that I'm interested in. These schools have proven to help linemen get to the next level. Talking to all the coaches, they seem like good guys who I can learn from."

It was reported in the DMR yesterday that KF has sent an OL player to the NFL every year since he's been at IA; including last year, he/Brian sent two to the NFL.

I'd say that validates that IA has a good O-line program.

Come on Matt sign with the Hawks. At Iowa you'll get to play the clowns and make them eat their words after they started trashing you once they found out you weren't signing with them. You won't get that opportunity with debbie.

Agreed. All these recruiting analysts all seem to have inside info at their fingertips. Hearing Farniok talk makes it sound like Nebraska is his favorite too

Anybody have any recent comments/news on Farniok? With a shaky Nebby coaching staff he has to be leaning more toward Hawks I would think???

Latest from the Husker side on Farniok is he stopped by Lincoln last Friday on the way to OK to watch his brother play. Was scheduled for an in home visit by one of the NE assistants tonight and headed for an official visit back to Lincoln this coming weekend.

Latest posts