3rd and 4th quarter music request

Nothing better than a Friday morning music thread ******* match.
88830d1338245252-nhdro-pictures-race-1-homer_eating_popcorn.jpg

If you look back on the history of rap music... most of it just plain sucks. I think it actually started to move into a new era and suck much harder around the time of Puff Daddy and Mase. Basically after Notorious BIG and Tupac were killed. Puff Daddy and his contemporaries moved rap into what it is today and it wasn't a good thing.

Here's what I think is the Golden Age of Rap.. 1979 - 1989... Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Kurtis Blow, Heavy D, Slick Rick, Eric B. and Rakim, early LL Cool J

Then there's the Silver Age (or Gangsta Rap) that probably started with NWA and continued on until Tupac was killled. That was when it became mainstream with Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Tupac, Naughty By Nature, Snoop Dogg, Geto Boys, Notorious BIG, Wu Tang Clan, early Bone Thugs and Harmony, Too Short, etc.

Then there's the crap Age where songs like Black and Yellow reside. Artists (term used loosely) like Flo-rida, Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne, Lil Jon, Soulja Boy, that kinda crap. Rap is in the decline because it gets worse and worse every year it seems. There are some who are 'keepin' it real' as they say... but they aren't the ones selling albums. It's the crappy rap that is selling unfortunately.

1) Agreed, I never said it was a great song. What I'm saying is how can you honestly think the players/students would rather listen to Thunderstruck, than Black and Yellow? That's beyond dumb.

2) I never said you had to enjoy/listen to rap/hip hop if you were under 30, but if you complain about it like it's some "crap" music you're an idiot just like the parent's thinking Elvis was the devil's music were idiots.

3) If you don't think rap/hip hop is one of if not the most popular genres with young kids in Iowa right now you either don't live in Iowa or pay attention to what kids in Iowa listen to.

LOL so, you're saying we should axe the entrance too? Cause that song was from the same era.....Im guessing at least 1/2 of the 139 millions viewers on youtube were viewers like me that thought "whats this Black & Yellow song all about" and then almost threw up from laughing when it played....

Im not saying Thunder struck is the right song, just the song I happen to like. But, saying Black & Yellow is THEE song just because the name is black & yellow is dumb....BTW, my music schlong is bigger than yours...at least thats what your momma says:cool:

For all of the Kirk and JVB haters they should play Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life. I think The Ecstacy of Gold from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly would be awesome. Everyone chanting that would sound sweet.

If you look back on the history of rap music... most of it just plain sucks. I think it actually started to move into a new era and suck much harder around the time of Puff Daddy and Mase. Basically after Notorious BIG and Tupac were killed. Puff Daddy and his contemporaries moved rap into what it is today and it wasn't a good thing.

Here's what I think is the Golden Age of Rap.. 1979 - 1989... Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Kurtis Blow, Heavy D, Slick Rick, Eric B. and Rakim, early LL Cool J

Then there's the Silver Age (or Gangsta Rap) that probably started with NWA and continued on until Tupac was killled. That was when it became mainstream with Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Tupac, Naughty By Nature, Snoop Dogg, Geto Boys, Notorious BIG, Wu Tang Clan, early Bone Thugs and Harmony, Too Short, etc.

Then there's the crap Age where songs like Black and Yellow reside. Artists (term used loosely) like Flo-rida, Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne, Lil Jon, Soulja Boy, that kinda crap. Rap is in the decline because it gets worse and worse every year it seems. There are some who are 'keepin' it real' as they say... but they aren't the ones selling albums. It's the crappy rap that is selling unfortunately.

I'm w/ you on your timeline. Have to throw in Jay-Z and Nas, Eminem coming on in the mid to late '90's and early '00's, but since then rap and hip-hop have seriously declined. I'd generally take old school hip-hop / rap over newer stuff any day. Once they started rapping about their rims and their "*******," things went down the crapper very quickly. And that is what make me cautious about trying to pick something more hip-hop / rap for the end of the 3rd quarter. Wisky hit a homerun w/ Jump Around, but that's also a timeless jam that will span generations and is something they've done extremely well promoting and their fanbase took to it. For IA to do that, I'd think they'd need to go the route of VA Tech or like IA does w/ Back in Black pre-game, and look more towards rock. I'd love a great hip-hop / rap song, but little comes to mind to even compare to Jump Around. My list of potentials:

Bubba Sparxx's Back in the Mud (was the ESPN Gameday song for a couple years, but it's not that well-known and I don't know how it would work for the short interval)
Rock Superstar by Cypress Hill is pretty badass w/ the intro, but it's again the short 3rd to 4th quarter interval
Baba O'Riley is timeless and I'd definitely support that.
Rage Against the Machine (take your pick)
Metallica (ditto re taking your pick)
Thunderkiss '65 (the intro alone is unreal)
RamJam w/ Black Betty (it's old school and timeless, but doubt the younger generation knows it)

It would take a lot of thought to narrow down to a good one. I think the key is to get the fans into it and create a frenzied atmosphere.

LOL so, you're saying we should axe the entrance too? Cause that song was from the same era.....Im guessing at least 1/2 of the 139 millions viewers on youtube were viewers like me that thought "whats this Black & Yellow song all about" and then almost threw up from laughing when it played....

Im not saying Thunder struck is the right song, just the song I happen to like. But, saying Black & Yellow is THEE song just because the name is black & yellow is dumb....BTW, my music schlong is bigger than yours...at least thats what your momma says:cool:

You continue to put words in my mouth. The entrance song has absolutely no relation to a new song that is going to be played. Back in Black/Enter Sandman is already tradition. I never said Black and Yellow is thee song, I don't even like the song or listen to Wiz or rap in general much anymore. My point is if we are picking a new song, that is going to be placed in a perfect spot to pump up the team and get them going for the last quarter, an old song like Thunderstruck is not going to do the trick. Nico Law specifically listed Wiz as one of the artists he would like to have as the new song, and IMO the players opinion is literally the only one that matters here. I couldn't care less what crap they spew, they've been playing Nickelback and Sweet Caroline for years.

You continue to put words in my mouth. The entrance song has absolutely no relation to a new song that is going to be played. Back in Black/Enter Sandman is already tradition. I never said Black and Yellow is thee song, I don't even like the song or listen to Wiz or rap in general much anymore. My point is if we are picking a new song, that is going to be placed in a perfect spot to pump up the team and get them going for the last quarter, an old song like Thunderstruck is not going to do the trick. Nico Law specifically listed Wiz as one of the artists he would like to have as the new song, and IMO the players opinion is literally the only one that matters here. I couldn't care less what crap they spew, they've been playing Nickelback and Sweet Caroline for years.

So now youre saying you want "something in your mouth" by Nickelback? They wont play that!

Hate it or not all those rappers you guys are hating on make more money from one song than you will in your life and with that said.

you-jelly.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your over 40 possibly 50...

not sure about RJB, but FWIW when I asked my 15 YO son and a couple of his teammates and gave the context for use, his first choice unprompted was...hold it...wait...Thunderstruck! (it was seconded by the others).

Now the stadium powers that be, obviously want a singalong, why else would they play lame Neil Diamond song now. So yellow and black fits that mold better than most suggestions. I like the dubstep listed in first few posts, but I haven't finished the thread.

Latest posts