34th ID Red Bull sticker?

Stewo

A couple of days ago as I was visiting some of our Soldiers at COP Zormat here in Afghanistan, I heard some rumblings that the Iowa football team was going to be wearing the 34th ID's Red Bull sticker on their helmets. Any truth to that? I've checked everywhere, but I can't seem to find anything comfirming that. I think, if true, it's an awesome gesture and I wish my Cyclones would have done something like that. If anyone is curious, my unit is 1/168th IN out of Council Bluffs. There may just be some old Red Bulls on here!

Stewo that would be very cool if it is true. My Dad was in the 34th Dvi 109th Med BN during WWII. 66 years ago this month he landed on the beach in N Africa along with a bunch of other Iowans. My Dad is 92 years old now and he along with 11 of our family members attended The 34th Division reunion event held in Des Moines the weekend of September 11th. Major General Richard Nash, Commander 34th Infantry Division was in attendance.

I know there will be a fly over prior to kickoff and I read somewhere that the University extended an invitation to Iowan Staff Sergeant Sal Giunta the recent medal of honor receptient to attend the game as well. He had other commitments and will not be in attendance.

Thank you for your service.

Attack! Attack! Attack!

Saw a status update from one of my buddies on facebook that confirms this. Also states that the team will come out of the tunnel carrying the Red Bull Flag. Looking forward to a crazy atmosphere at kinnick today.

Awesome...just gave me goose bumps reading prior posts. Hawks admin are definitely going to leave nothing to chance. Throw in Gable to the mix as well as the military honoring and flyby, this, et al, truly will give a memorable Senior Day. Now parlay that to a win!

Thanks to all military, past and present.

This is awesome!!! Hopefully this spurs some Iowans to go out and learn a little about this amazing piece of Iowa/upper midwest history. These guys hit the beach as part of Operation Torch (invasion of N. Africa - America's first ground action against the Germans/Italians/Vichy France in WWII) and then went on to slog through Italy (some of the most grueling and bloody, yet least publicized fighting of the war...mostly because, even to this day, no one can agree on what strategic purpose it served - if any!).

Plus one of the coolest frickin' shoulder flashes I have ever seen!

IAHWKFN. My grandfather was an Iowan that was deployed to North Africa in WWII. Not sure of his division but he ended up with an amazing survival story there.

The 34th ID had the most contiguous days of combat of any ID in WWII.

The gift shop in the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum at Camp Dodge (Johnston, IA) has 34 ID shirts, hats, books and stickers.

The 34th ID Association has an office in the museum.

Also, if you have any relatives from Iowa that were in the Union Army in the Civil War, their muster records are on file in the museum. I found two relatives in the Iowa units serving with Sherman.

My Dad was the only one from his company the 109th, that was still alive and able to attend the reunion in Sept. I was so glad and proud that my son was able to attend the reunion and be there for his Grandfather.
What was your Grandfathers last name and where in Iowa was he from? My Dad was from the Iowa City area.

my grandfather last name was schoonover from Washington ia. he was in the 34th Div 168 Infantry G

Last edited:
I think it would be cool to keep the stickers for the Minnesota game, and have the Goophs wear the stickers too, since the 34th is also largely comprised of the MNG.

I hope this is true as i am in afghanistan at fob gardez. I hope the game is on afn. GO HAWKS 1-168 INF RED BULLS

if anyone can send us dvd's of the games it would be great, me and my guys are at a remote outpost in the mountains, we would really like to see the games, we have not seen any this year, we were the first sent over here out of the division. If anyone can do this i will give you my apo here at our COP.

Latest posts