3 Straight Years of .500 or Better in the B10

I've said it before and I will say it again...now and in the future. Fran has the program trending upward for the 5th straight year. The next milestone is an NCAA Tournament win.

It would be awesome to have my Saturday or Sunday life's schedule centered around Iowa's 2nd game of the NCAA Tournament. I remember those long lost days. For some of the younger posters on here it really has happened.

#FireFran - we should expect more in year 5. /end sarcasm

Actually, to put it in even more prospective, Iowa bball had 3 non-losing B1G seasons under the ENTIRE Alford/Lickliter era. Fran just clinched his 3rd straight. It's why people scoff on here when people throw out that he's not getting it done.

I've said it before and I will say it again...now and in the future. Fran has the program trending upward for the 5th straight year. The next milestone is an NCAA Tournament win.

It would be awesome to have my Saturday or Sunday life's schedule centered around Iowa's 2nd game of the NCAA Tournament. I remember those long lost days. For some of the younger posters on here it really has happened.

Absolutely, the people that freak out and want Fran fired after a couple bad losses drive me nuts. The B10 is a tough conference. Going from a bad team to a decent team is the easy part. Going from a decent team to a good team in a conference with coaches like Izzo, Ryan, Beilein, and Matta is a lot harder. Fran wasn't going to get to the top of the conference in five years and then just stay there. We continue to slowly get better, we're going to return four of five starters and six of the top nine from an NCAA tournament team plus add a lot of exciting new recruits next year.

He is a very good coach. It should be obvious to everyone now. The Iowa State trolls who love to hang out on this board under phony "Iowa" names have been quiet for a week and a half now. Wow, is it nice.

Transfer U also lost a big game last night. They really choked. It was nice.

I have always, and will continue to support Fran. Message board overreaction guy who wants to fire all the coaches whenever we lose is growing tired.

Well deserved thread. A lot of people jumped off the bandwagon (including you DeanVogs). But Fran deserves some credit.

The stat about Iowa having 3 .500 or better seasons in the B1G under Alford/Lick, and Fran just clinching his 3rd in a row is pretty astounding.

Good thread. I guess this would have occurred to me at some point (or maybe not) ... but, what wouldn't have occurred to me is how many other big ten teams can say the same thing.

Not indiana. Not purdue. Not illinois.

I think it's just UW, MSU and OSU. Michigan can still get there, but they have work to do.

That's good company in this conference. Obviously, we aren't "there" yet. And it may take awhile. But, I think the progress is there.

And while the Big 10 may be down a bit this year (relative to the last 2 years) it's still pretty balanced. And the last 2 years the conference was loaded and Fran managed to get to 9-9. Bigger and brighter things are yet to come.

And the coaching in our conference is no slouch either. Is there a "bad" coach in the conference? I know there are coaches we don't like. I know some are better system coaches. Some are great recruiters. Some are great in game coaches. But is there an absolute dud coach in the current 14?

And while the Big 10 may be down a bit this year (relative to the last 2 years) it's still pretty balanced. And the last 2 years the conference was loaded and Fran managed to get to 9-9. Bigger and brighter things are yet to come.

And the coaching in our conference is no slouch either. Is there a "bad" coach in the conference? I know there are coaches we don't like. I know some are better system coaches. Some are great recruiters. Some are great in game coaches. But is there an absolute dud coach in the current 14?

Eddie Jordan

I'll admit that I had some doubts throughout this season, but I've been saying the whole time that I felt that Fran has done enough to warrant some patience from our fan base.. At least a couple more years. Assuming he gets us to the NCAA Tournament again this year, that is even more true in my mind.

first time poster! been hawkeye fan since 1956. I am a supporter of both UNI and Iowa. I live in AZ in the winter and the Fairfax boy from UNI needs so grow up! I want UNI to win as much as he does but and I am a friend of Jake's and Farley and those two want Iowa to hold there own in every game. Fairfax you will always be the little sister.

Also, people got pretty wired in the past about his demeanor on the bench. I think that is "better" (I didn't have as much problem with it as others). There is just that incident that went way over the top where he was really just protecting his players. I thought the media gut there undies in a bunch over it because they think they are some kind of elite journalistic purists when they really just have made up jobs. Some of those guys should kiss the cameras and microphones every day they go to work because they are getting paid to talk about sports as if it is the crucial conversation of our times.

Does he even have a technical this year? (The Illinois coach should have had one last night).

OK, I talked about 8 different things in one post. Record?

I also like how the team is playing so far, hope they can keep it going. Only problem I see is we're not very good when the shot clock gets below 10sec. We need to start offense at 15 sec. When we have a lead. JMO

Filed under "be careful what you wish for"....

The time period 1997-1999 saw Mr. Davis put together 3 straight .500 seasons or better in the Big Ten and 2 NCAA tourney appearances with 1 of them resulting in a Sweet 16 (by the way, both 1997 and 1999 saw us lose to the eventual national champs in both of those NCAA tournaments by an avg of 8 points).....of course, he was unceremoniously dumped for the "next level".

16 years later....still looking for the proverbial "next level".

Then again, I am just a "rank amateur" according to Bob Bowlsby.

I also like how the team is playing so far, hope they can keep it going. Only problem I see is we're not very good when the shot clock gets below 10sec. We need to start offense at 15 sec. When we have a lead. JMO
Back in the day, conventional wisdom was to start the offense with 13 seconds left so you'd have time to run a play and then possibly get a put-back if the shot was missed, still leaving not enough time for the other team to score. It seems that now every team starts the play with 8 seconds left and ends up with a bad of no shot. I don't get it.

It shows when you have the right guy and the right fit we need to exercise patience and persistence.

This was a massive rebuild and if anything he got results quicker than many expected raising expectations quickly. There will always be some valleys but we will enjoy the fruits of his program's labor if we support it.

There have been so many first time this or that milestones in 10 years or more since his arrival. Yet some of our fans treat him like a bum. Those folks have proven themselves to be the village idiots. You know who you are.

We are getting the first chicago recruits in a long, long time as well along with 2 other good players. That says something as well and is super exciting.

Again heck of great job Fran and players. I am so glad you are tougher than some of the wussies in this fan base.

There have been so many first time this or that milestones in 10 years or more since his arrival.

Fran has certainly not been here for ten years, but your sentiments are not misplaced. Anyone who had the stomach to watch Lick's squads knows how far this program has come in the first five years of Fran's tenure.

Well deserved thread. A lot of people jumped off the bandwagon (including you DeanVogs). But Fran deserves some credit.

The stat about Iowa having 3 .500 or better seasons in the B1G under Alford/Lick, and Fran just clinching his 3rd in a row is pretty astounding.

What? Where have I ever gotten "off" the bandwagon? Everything I have said was clearly stated in the context that IF WE DIDN'T MAKE THE NCAA this year. I still stand by it, if we can only make the NCAA 1 time in 5 years, that just isn't good enough.

We clearly need to finish strong. I said at the beginning of the year this is a NCAA quality team, and hopefully we finish like we are capable

I think this team is not going to be quite as good as last years teams. The thing is they don't have to be, they just have to be slightly better at the end of the game, and not have an epic end of the season collapse.

10-3 non con
10-8 conference
1-1 in BTT

21-12 with a 8/9/10 seed

Being upper half in the B1G and having a great non con schedule and RPI will keep them slightly inside the bubble.

Latest posts