spot #3 -- Drew Adams

B-ball Operations -- Chad Walthall

Grad Asst -- Jeff Horner

spot #1 -- Kevin Gamble
spot #2 -- Andrew Francis - from his Siena staff
spot #3 -- Drew Adams

B-ball Operations -- Chad Walthall

Grad Asst -- Jeff Horner

Don't grad assistants generally join the staff right after their playing days are over? Horner was an asst at West Des Moines Valley this past season, and just recently joined a local basketball organization in Des Moines. The name is escaping me right now though.

Justin Wieck played under Alford and was his grad assistant. Then Lick came in and he was Grad Assistant to him and is currently the Video Coordinator. Let's hope he can stay on either doing that or BB Operations. Kid works his *** off, bleeds Black and Gold and has lived his entire life in Iowa City. That and he's my brother in law, so I hope he gets to stay for selfish reasons.

GO HAWKS!!

Who currently holds that position?

None other than Jerry Strom holds the Director of Basketball Operations job right now.

He's been at Iowa since 1981.

Typically an actual coaching-experience person holds this position but Lickliter decided not to have that.

Strom will likely get some athletic dept. position if not retained.

What the AD needs to consider at least in the short term is a damn good marketing person who can get people back in the arena. Of course wins will do that but until then we need a good sales person.

Kevin Gamble
BJ Armstrong

Two I would like to see on the sidelines. Especially Gamble, what he has done at Illinois Springfield is remarkable.

Wayne Morgan would be a huge get as an assistant and recruiting coordinator. He is literally one of the best midwest recruiters around and would be great to have on staff to gain quick momentum!

Kevin Gamble
BJ Armstrong

Two I would like to see on the sidelines. Especially Gamble, what he has done at Illinois Springfield is remarkable.

Love the Kevin Gamble and BJ Armstrong ideas for assist. coach positions!! Third one could be one of his guys from Siena.

Love the Kevin Gamble and BJ Armstrong ideas for assist. coach positions!! Third one could be one of his guys from Siena.

Kevin Gamble would be awesome. Don't think BJ will give up his millions to earn a 10th of that to be an assistant. Jeff Horner would be good. Pretty sure he had an offer from TL to be the grad asst next year but think you could put him on staff instead of grad asst.

The wayne morgan thing might not be a bad idea, I think he could help recruit. I just think you need to make a clean break from everyone under TL, not retain any of them. It might not be any of their doing but we need to make a clean break from the worst 3 years in history.

People are too hung up on having former Iowa players on staff. There are three AC positions. At least two of them need to be filled with experienced recruiters, at least one of which should have strong Midwest contacts. That means at least one assistant would be someone new to Coach. I believe Gamble is in coaching himself but I don't know if he would fit the bill for a guy with workable contacts. If he did, great. If we can get those two solid experienced recruiters, then I'd be thrilled to have a former Hawk as a third assistant if, and only if, he really ants to make a career of it.

What's wrong with the current Director of Operations, Jerry Strom. He's been with the Hawkeye basketball program for 29 years. He needs to stay put.

He is a grade A *******, that is why I would like to see someone else. I hope they get a young up and comer to fill this position.

Jerry Strom has done a fine job for years. His contacts around the country are valuable.

How the heck a director of basketball operations could be billed as doing a 'fine job' after the last three years is absolutely beyond me.

How the heck a director of basketball operations could be billed as doing a 'fine job' after the last three years is absolutely beyond me.

I am not even sure what he does. He was around all the time when I was a kid going to Davis and Alford camps. I thought, as a middle school and high school kid, that he was arrogant back then...

Latest posts