24 won't do it in Ann Arbor

Michigan's defense actually looks OK against the run this year, which is part of why they were able to jump ahead of Connecticut. The key for our defense against Michigan will be to prevent the big play from Robinson and from his receivers. Even if they have success dinking it down the field we'll still make them much less effective than they have been with D. Rob or Roundtree scoring on long touchdown plays virtually every game.

I think Michigan will probably score about 21 give or take a few, so 24 for us could win it. If Iowa dominates on offense (scores over 30 points) then look out, it could be a big Iowa win.

If Iowa gets the ball 13 times and has 560 yards of offense, do you think the Hawks will be "held" to just 35?

Michigan hasn't run into a defense that's been able to slow Robinson down. Over the next two weeks, that changes.

Iowa won't get the ball 13 times is my point. The big plays won't be there. Michigan will have to sustain drives. Can they do that? I think so. I think Denard can manage a game even if he is limited running the ball. He is the third rated passer in the nation. The offense is better this year. The Oline is much better with Molk back and the obvious maturity of the rest of the line. I think the game comes down to who has the ball last ot be honest. That's how the Iowa game, MSU game, Wisconsin game and probably the OSU game will be. I think they win one of those games. Which one? I have no idea. I hope it's OSU. Of course, with that defense they could get beat 70-42 in all of the games.

IF Michigan wins against Iowa, it will have more to do with what Iowa did to lose than Michigan did to win. They nearly got beat against INDIANA! Stop them a time or two on offense and you've got a pretty good recipe for a "W".

Well that's no different than every game you guys have ever lost thought right. No one ever beats you. You let them win.

If I'm Michigan, I'm more concerned about keeping DR healthy into the Iowa game. In the last two games he's come up gimpy and his production wasn't great after he got dinged yesterday.

I'm also confident that Norm and Co. has seen an offense contingent upon ONE player before and knows some ways to keep an offensive explosion from happening.

Except for that last drive yesterday when they had under a minute and he ran it the first 3 plays when a FG was never in the equation.

im sure the coaching staff knows that michigan puts up points and will devise a game plan with that in mind, if we can win the game only putting up 24 points and playing our game we will, if we need to put up 40 we will have a gameplan to do so

Following are the Michigan Defensive rankings through yesterday's games:

Rushing Defense: 37
Pass Eff. Defense: 79
Total Defense: 102
Scoring Defense: 73
Pass Defense: 120
Sacks: 88
Tackles For Loss: T-61

NCAA.com ? The Official Website of NCAA Championships - Football

The only reason their Rush Defense is not ranked lower is because their Pass D is dead last in FBS! Teams don't have to run against them because they give up big chunks of yards through the air.

We are guaranteed to see a different offensive game plan in two weeks. QB and WR/TE are the strengths of our offense. I would be licking my chops if I were RS, MM, DJK, AR, etc.

Control of the line of scrimmage, time of possession and limiting DRob's opportunities are the keys to the game, IMHO.

Go Hawks!

It looks like Indiana tried to keep up with the Wolverines, but couldn't finish the deal. If we can run against their d-line, then I like our chances. Captain Kirk is one patient coach and is willing to use field position and ball control to get the win. Here's hoping that all the nicked-up guys can heal and prepare for "Mid-Terms"....this is one BIG test!

I wouldn't be so quick to say that 24 wont be enough. We always play well at the big house and the QB's that seem to give us the most trouble over the KF era are the ones that are mobile but really good passers as well. Robinson wont put up pre-Big Ten numbers against our D. It wouldnt surprise me at all if we beat Michigan by about the same margin that we beat Penn St.

It looks like Indiana tried to keep up with the Wolverines, but couldn't finish the deal. If we can run against their d-line, then I like our chances. Captain Kirk is one patient coach and is willing to use field position and ball control to get the win. Here's hoping that all the nicked-up guys can heal and prepare for "Mid-Terms"....this is one BIG test!

Indiana actually had success running the ball too. I don't know if that was dues to Michigan dropping eight willing to let them run or if they are just that inept. It's likely a combination of both. Iowa will be able to run the ball.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that 24 wont be enough. We always play well at the big house and the QB's that seem to give us the most trouble over the KF era are the ones that are mobile but really good passers as well. Robinson wont put up pre-Big Ten numbers against our D. It wouldnt surprise me at all if we beat Michigan by about the same margin that we beat Penn St.

I believe Denard has the third highest passer efficiency rating in the Nation.

I think it's going to be a close game. If I had to pick I think Iowa wins 30 - 27.

If I had to pick a team that is more capable of winning by double digits in this game I'd pick Michigan. It that makes any sense.

Flip to coin last year. They turned the ball over 5 times, scored 28 points and we only could score 30. Think if we turned the ball over 5 times last year. They would have beaten us grossly... easily by 21 points or more.

What scares me is I think we have to play a more perfect game than they do to win this game.

And you havent said a thing about who Mich gets to play next week. It's going to matter! It would good to consider ALL
of the facts

last years game doesn't really matter to me. iowa's defense came in looking to stop the quarterback, TATE FORCIER. they didn't gameplan for denard robinson so he came in and gashed us pretty good. they will be prepared to stop robinson this year.

think forcier even remembers his trip to iowa city last year? i'm guessing not and i'm guessing robinson won't remember playing iowa this year either

I think it's going to be a close game. If I had to pick I think Iowa wins 30 - 27.

If I had to pick a team that is more capable of winning by double digits in this game I'd pick Michigan. It that makes any sense.

Flip to coin last year. They turned the ball over 5 times, scored 28 points and we only could score 30. Think if we turned the ball over 5 times last year. They would have beaten us grossly... easily by 21 points or more.

What scares me is I think we have to play a more perfect game than they do to win this game.

I disagree with this. Michigan's secondary is absolutely terrible. McNutt and DJK should have huge days. Michigan has faced one decent defense all year and they only scored 28 against them despite all the yards Robinson racked up. I think Iowa is easily capable of winning this game by double digits. I also think Mich St will knock off the Wolverines on Sat, now if Michigan drops 49 or so on MSU then I might be a little worried.

I reserve judgement on this until this Sat. night. Mich this year>mich last year, but that is only because of 1 guy. With him they may be a 9-3 team, without they would be 3-9. We have all seen the toll that Big Ten football can have on a RB's health as the year goes on and this guy is not built like Pryor or the typical running back. If Jones can get a few licks on him this week, we will know more about what Robinson can and can't do as the season progresses. But seriously, Michigan is not "back" as some seem to fear. Without 1 person, they would be 2-3 right now in my opinion.

I disagree with this. Michigan's secondary is absolutely terrible. McNutt and DJK should have huge days. Michigan has faced one decent defense all year and they only scored 28 against them despite all the yards Robinson racked up. I think Iowa is easily capable of winning this game by double digits. I also think Mich St will knock off the Wolverines on Sat, now if Michigan drops 49 or so on MSU then I might be a little worried.

+1.

I definitely agree that Michigan St. is the true measuring stick for Michigan. Michigan's offense is not a patient one and relies heavily on the big play. Time and time again we here about how you beat the Iowa defense and that is to be patient. If MSU forces them to be patient we'll see how they respond. The fact that we gave up 5 plays of 20+ yards does concern me though. I know that Iowa is "bend, but don't break", but Robinson will turn Penn State's 20+ yard gains into touchdowns.

I think this may have been brought up earlier... or in a different thread completely- but there was lots of talk about how GTech offense was going to run all over Iowa as well. Now, I understand these are two separate schemes- but I believe Norm will be back at the helm with an extra week to prepare.

Our offense was very pedestrian vs Penn St. I hope we don't have that same ho-hum punt it away approach up in Michigan.

Last I looked Michigan won't be able to substitute the Penn State defense for its own so I doubt the "24 concern" has much validity.

I agree.. Plus, I am convinced that our offense is considerably better than it was last year. I sense more firepower in our passing game this year, and I think the only reason we didn't score in the 30's against PSU was because we played it close to the vest and played the ball control game. In the first half, we were playing to build a lead and it didn't look like we struggled that much to put up 17 on them. And that was against a better defense than what Michigan has.

We will be able to score on Michigan.

To me, this game is completely about how much we can bottle up Denard Robinson. If we can slow him down and don't make too many mistakes of our own (like @Arizona), I think we win this game by double digits.

Latest posts