24 won't do it in Ann Arbor

So far what have we seen this year? If we struggle on special teams we loose. We know the offense can score and we know the defense can bend but not break. If you watch the offense in the games we have won this year, this has not been any different...most if not all of those games AROB broke a long run from pounding it out. Last night he didnt, I think his longest run was on a 3rd and 14 and it was a draw for 12 yards. Thats what our offense does. We are not flashy, we get up and ground and pound and try to break one. I believe that once the 4th qtr started our first play was a PA pass to djk to get over the 50...Im pretty sure the coaches know what they are doing. "in kirk we trust" boys. Plus the polls shouldnt matter to us in week 5/6 anyway...we know that if we win out we are big ten champs! Thats all that matters! But we have to take one game at a time...just my 2 cents

Our offense was very pedestrian vs Penn St. I hope we don't have that same ho-hum punt it away approach up in Michigan.

Lets see, AZ & PSU have two of the best d's in the country (top 5 & top 20 respectfully, going into this past weekend); UM has one of the 25 worst D's in the country, so much so, they were holding open tryouts on campus a few weeks ago.

Scoring isn't going to be an issue, if we rough up Robinson like we roughed up Boldin last night, it is going to be a long long game for the Wolverines.

Like Joe Pa said, Iowa is for real & the AZ game was a fluke.

Lets see, AZ & PSU have two of the best d's in the country (top 5 & top 20 respectfully, going into this past weekend); UM has one of the 25 worst D's in the country, so much so, they were holding open tryouts on campus a few weeks ago.

Scoring isn't going to be an issue, if we rough up Robinson like we roughed up Boldin last night, it is going to be a long long game for the Wolverines.

Like Joe Pa said, Iowa is for real & the AZ game was a fluke.

Michigan always has tryouts that time of year. Those were mostly for kickers this year as well.

Michigans defense is terrible but yesterday, Indiana got the ball 13 times and they scored 5. Indiana QB and receivers are also very good. I would go as far as to say they are better than Iowa's. Michigans Oline is much better than PSUs. I think it is pretty evident that if Michigan is going to win they have to score 40. They won't do it every game but I think they can finish 4-4 or 5-3 in the conference. It will be a good game in Ann Arbor, that's for sure. Michigan certainly hasn't shown everything they can do in that offense. They haven't had to.

Michigan always has tryouts that time of year. Those were mostly for kickers this year as well.

Michigans defense is terrible but yesterday, Indiana got the ball 13 times and they scored 5. Indiana QB and receivers are also very good. I would go as far as to say they are better than Iowa's. Michigans Oline is much better than PSUs. I think it is pretty evident that if Michigan is going to win they have to score 40. They won't do it every game but I think they can finish 4-4 or 5-3 in the conference. It will be a good game in Ann Arbor, that's for sure. Michigan certainly hasn't shown everything they can do in that offense. They haven't had to.

How far Michigan has fallen where their fans are pumping Indiana after the Wolves eke out a win. You could also say that their receivers are better than Michigans, or that Michigans defense just sucks. Indiana racked up 568 yards of offense, 480 through the air. Chappell is not better than Stanzi. Give me a break.

It doesn't matter how bad Michigan's defense is. It's about as simple as this. Michigan's offense this year is better than their offense was last year. Our defense this year is better than our defense was last year. However, I don't think our linebackers are better this year than last year. Michigan's offense really tests your linebackers.

We were only able to score 30 points last year at home against Michigan and they turned the ball over 5 times. The game was played at Kinnick.

Michigan was able to score 28 points turning the ball over 5 times.

I've never really thought of our offense as one that really "exploits" poor defenses. So even though Michigan's defense has been pathetic I don't see us scoring more than 31 points on them.

So the key to the game as I see it is can we force them into 2-3 turnovers? If we can do that and not turn the ball over ourselves then we'll win a close game.

If Michigan doesn't turn the ball over we'll be lucky to hold them to less than 30 points just wait and see.

Last edited:
I am not sure what it is. The team looks unstoppable in first quarter or so then goes to sleep. I would hope its because they don't want to show anything more than they have to, but not sure what else there might be. It seems we have no killer instinct or focus. If we allow D Robinson to stand up and finish the game, we better have a ton of ball control.

It's called strategy brutha. It's called we have one of the best defenses in the nation and our goal is to get up early and then play ball control. They let stanzi open it up in the first half as long as we need to get a comfortable point separation, and then, let the defense take over and play ball control with the nations best punter. Why risk throwing the ball to the other team, just to add 7 points on to your total score. You play to win the game, not to win it by the point spread. You got a running back who hasn't fumble in two seasons of being a lead back, and a defense who nobody can score more than two touchdowns against as long as you make them drive the field. It was obvious in the first quarter that boldin wasn't going to be able to drive on our defense, so ride what works and don't let quirky stuff like happened in arizona, funny bounces of the ball, come into play. If you take it out of a strict stats situation, the offense did a lot of good things in the second half. Moving the ball from the half foot line to the 36 so our punter could do his thing and our defense could make them drive on us was a great job by the offense. They had two drives end inside the 3 yard line and got a total of 3 points out of it in this game. OUR DEFENSE IS AWESOME- that's what it is bud.

How far Michigan has fallen where their fans are pumping Indiana after the Wolves eke out a win. You could also say that their receivers are better than Michigans, or that Michigans defense just sucks. Indiana racked up 568 yards of offense, 480 through the air. Chappell is not better than Stanzi. Give me a break.

I did say that and Indiana receivers are not better than Michigans. Who cares about yards? Since when do they matter? They allowed 35 points which is really bad but again, they got the ball 13 times. Iowa won't get it 13 times unless they allow four scoring drives under one minute. A win is a win and in college football you cannot base a future matchup on other games in the past.

I think Michigan has the potential to score on Iowa. That is they have the potential because of Denard Robinson's speed. He may score once or twice, but overall Iowa should contain him. Even if it becomes a score fest Iowa would win, Michigan has no defense, Iowa has a great defense.

Iowa's offense should have no problem with Michigan's defense. Their secondary is average, their run defense is average. Iowa should be able to drive up and down the field on them. Long drives will tire Michigan's defense and open up scoring opportunities while keeping Denard Robinson on the bench. Should be another dominate performance by Iowa. Iowa wins 31-9

I think Michigan has the potential to score on Iowa. That is they have the potential because of Denard Robinson's speed. He may score once or twice, but overall Iowa should contain him. Even if it becomes a score fest Iowa would win, Michigan has no defense, Iowa has a great defense.

Iowa's offense should have no problem with Michigan's defense. Their secondary is average, their run defense is average. Iowa should be able to drive up and down the field on them. Long drives will tire Michigan's defense and open up scoring opportunities while keeping Denard Robinson on the bench. Should be another dominate performance by Iowa. Iowa wins 31-9

So $100 and you are giving me 22?

It doesn't matter how bad Michigan's defense is. It's about as simple as this. Michigan's offense this year is better than their offense was last year. Our defense this year is better than our defense was last year. However, I don't think our linebackers are better this year than last year. Michigan's offense really tests your linebackers.

We were only able to score 30 points last year at home against Michigan and they turned the ball over 5 times. The game was played at Kinnick.

I've never really thought of our offense as one that really "exploits" poor defenses. So even though Michigan's defense has been pathetic I don't see us scoring more than 31 points on them.

So the key to the game as I see it is can we force them into 2-3 turnovers? If we can do that and not turn the ball over ourselves then we'll win a close game.

If Michigan doesn't turn the ball over we'll be lucky to hold them to less than 30 points just wait and see.

Is this post basically a preview of what we're going to see from you for the next two weeks? You think Michigan is going to win, got it. That you think their offense scored 28 points last against Iowa last year doesn't say a whole lot for you.

Do you think it's possible that Iowa's offense is better this year than it was last year? Do you think that with two weeks to prepare, that Norm (if he comes back) and the rest of the defensive coaching staff will be able to put together a game plan to contain Robinson?

I disagree. I think 24 could do it. Michigan has yet to see a relevant defense, and while Denard Robinson is a special player, I don't see him getting 400 yds of total offense. Michigan will be tested, much like Iowa's defense will. Expect the bulk of Michigan's offense to come in the first quarter. After that, I think our defense will settle in and be just as stingy as they have been so far.

I did say that and Indiana receivers are not better than Michigans. Who cares about yards? Since when do they matter? They allowed 35 points which is really bad but again, they got the ball 13 times. Iowa won't get it 13 times unless they allow four scoring drives under one minute. A win is a win and in college football you cannot base a future matchup on other games in the past.

If Iowa gets the ball 13 times and has 560 yards of offense, do you think the Hawks will be "held" to just 35?

Michigan hasn't run into a defense that's been able to slow Robinson down. Over the next two weeks, that changes.

I'm not sure that Michigan's offense is really better. Denard Robinson does it all. But he's just one guy. You contain him, and the offense does NOTHING. They don't have any other real options.

I also don't think our defense is better than last year. The linebacker play has been solid, but Angerer and Edds would make this defense MUCH better. And the secondary hasn't looked as good, either. I think Hyde is going to be a very, very good corner. But Amari Spievey he ain't (at least for now).

If we contain Robinson, we should win by 10-14.

If I'm Michigan, I'm more concerned about keeping DR healthy into the Iowa game. In the last two games he's come up gimpy and his production wasn't great after he got dinged yesterday.

I'm also confident that Norm and Co. has seen an offense contingent upon ONE player before and knows some ways to keep an offensive explosion from happening.

I agree. Michigan with the exception of Denard Robinson is the same ole offense. So there should be no problem.

I think about it this way. Even if Denard Robinson scores 3 times, two on the ground, once in the air. (And I doubt he will score more than once.) Iowa will post bigger numbers against their pourous defense.

Is this post basically a preview of what we're going to see from you for the next two weeks? You think Michigan is going to win, got it. That you think their offense scored 28 points last against Iowa last year doesn't say a whole lot for you.

Do you think it's possible that Iowa's offense is better this year than it was last year? Do you think that with two weeks to prepare, that Norm (if he comes back) and the rest of the defensive coaching staff will be able to put together a game plan to contain Robinson?

I think it's going to be a close game. If I had to pick I think Iowa wins 30 - 27.

If I had to pick a team that is more capable of winning by double digits in this game I'd pick Michigan. It that makes any sense.

Flip to coin last year. They turned the ball over 5 times, scored 28 points and we only could score 30. Think if we turned the ball over 5 times last year. They would have beaten us grossly... easily by 21 points or more.

What scares me is I think we have to play a more perfect game than they do to win this game.

Road games will come down to ball control and TO's on offense. If we're fluid and take care of the ball, we won't be worrying about much.

I think it's going to be a close game. If I had to pick I think Iowa wins 30 - 27.

If I had to pick a team that is more capable of winning by double digits in this game I'd pick Michigan. It that makes any sense.

Flip to coin last year. They turned the ball over 5 times, scored 28 points and we only could score 30. Think if we turned the ball over 5 times last year. They would have beaten us grossly... easily by 21 points or more.

What scares me is I think we have to play a more perfect game than they do to win this game.

Michigan scored 21 points against the Iowa defense, and never had the ball past midfield when it was a one-score game.

IF Michigan wins against Iowa, it will have more to do with what Iowa did to lose than Michigan did to win. They nearly got beat against INDIANA! Stop them a time or two on offense and you've got a pretty good recipe for a "W".

I seriously doubt that Iowa will give up 27 points to Michigan.

One thing for sure we will know more about Michigan after Michigan State gets through with them next Saturday.

Latest posts