24 won't do it in Ann Arbor

And I'm sure Michigan fans are saying "35 on D to Indiana won't do it when the Hawks arrive". I like our chances to score enough points to win better than them stopping us to win.

I agree.. Plus, I am convinced that our offense is considerably better than it was last year. I sense more firepower in our passing game this year, and I think the only reason we didn't score in the 30's against PSU was because we played it close to the vest and played the ball control game. In the first half, we were playing to build a lead and it didn't look like we struggled that much to put up 17 on them. And that was against a better defense than what Michigan has.

We will be able to score on Michigan.

To me, this game is completely about how much we can bottle up Denard Robinson. If we can slow him down and don't make too many mistakes of our own (like @Arizona), I think we win this game by double digits.

I think our passing offense is very good, and if we ever open up the offense could put up some huge numbers. There's no question it's much better than last year. Stanzi has made huge strides, and unlike like year I feel completely comfortable when he goes back to pass. McNutt is improved, DJK is solid as always and Reisner also is stepping up. I feel like we still haven't seen our passing game play to its full potential, we've seen it for a quarter or two but not for a full game. The Arizona game was probably the closest we've seen but that was more of a desperation passing game without even trying to run the ball. If we have to get in a shootout Michigan, or whoever, I think we'll be capable of winning that way too.

I think our passing offense is very good, and if we ever open up the offense could put up some huge numbers. There's no question it's much better than last year. Stanzi has made huge strides, and unlike like year I feel completely comfortable when he goes back to pass. McNutt is improved, DJK is solid as always and Reisner also is stepping up. I feel like we still haven't seen our passing game play to its full potential, we've seen it for a quarter or two but not for a full game. The Arizona game was probably the closest we've seen but that was more of a desperation passing game without even trying to run the ball. If we have to get in a shootout Michigan, or whoever, I think we'll be capable of winning that way too.

Question: Do you think the offense was more wide open back in 2002 when we led the conference in scoring, or do you think the philosophy was still the same as it is now and the '02 offense was just THAT good? I think the running game was probably better that year, especially when you figure Brad Banks into the mix, but that team had a great offensive line.

I'm trying to remember back, and I remember us hanging 63 on Northwestern that year, but I have trouble remember how conservative we were once we built a decent lead.

That said, I don't know where we rank in offense this year relative to the rest of the league, either. So maybe this team is putting up some comparatively good numbers on offense.

Question: Do you think the offense was more wide open back in 2002 when we led the conference in scoring, or do you think the philosophy was still the same as it is now and the '02 offense was just THAT good? I think the running game was probably better that year, especially when you figure Brad Banks into the mix, but that team had a great offensive line.

I'm trying to remember back, and I remember us hanging 63 on Northwestern that year, but I have trouble remember how conservative we were once we built a decent lead.

That said, I don't know where we rank in offense this year relative to the rest of the league, either. So maybe this team is putting up some comparatively good numbers on offense.

I think we were definitely more wide open and aggressive in 2002. I think this was due to the quality of our defense more than anything else though. The 2002 team won several shootouts, and the game we lost to ISU we gave up like 35 too, but the OT Penn St game and the Purdue game at home were both high scoring affairs. The '02 defense really came on towards the end of the year, but at the begining of the year I think Ferentz went into a lot of games with the mindset that we had to outscore teams. The '01 season was also this way, I believe Iowa led the B10 in scoring that year at like 36 a game even though they went 4-4 in the conference.

I think after the last few seasons Ferentz now completely trusts the defense and his gameplan reflects that. Get the lead and sit on the ball and chew clock.

Latest posts