'24 QB Commit James Resar Trusts KF, Iowa Football

Kid runs a 10.6 100 meters? Holy crap. I don't know if he has any wiggle to his run game, but that is legit speed. I am excited to get this kid on campus and he sounds excited to be here.

By comparison, here is how other recent Iowa QBs would do if they raced him:

Hill would run the 100 meters in about 3 hours depending upon how many snack breaks he took
Cade would break his foot a third of the way down the track
Petras would fall down out of the blocks
Stanley would ride Lindy all the way down and finish second
Padilla would look up at the 100 meters and then check down to a 5 meter race
Ferentz would not let Labas enter the race

I remember how Jake as a four star was so highly rated. Yeah, Iowa where four star QBs come to die.

If your lying on your back it’s not good on your throwing technique.

The first priority should be to start building up the offensive line and then build around that.

Iowa message boards. Where optimism and hope go to die.

You would think this is a Nebbie board where we were on a 6 year bowl drought instead of our second 10 win season in 3 years......

I am excited for a QB who knows where the track is located.

To me he's making a good decision. We are one James Resar away from having some really special seasons at Iowa. He's the piece that could really take Iowa over that hump. James, the coaches trust you to, the reason they asked you to sign! Look forward to watching you at Iowa.

I wonder how many years it will take until he's ready.... wait, maybe a new OC changes that long held assumption!

Kid runs a 10.6 100 meters? Holy crap. I don't know if he has any wiggle to his run game, but that is legit speed. I am excited to get this kid on campus and he sounds excited to be here.

By comparison, here is how other recent Iowa QBs would do if they raced him:

Hill would run the 100 meters in about 3 hours depending upon how many snack breaks he took
Cade would break his foot a third of the way down the track
Petras would fall down out of the blocks
Stanley would ride Lindy all the way down and finish second
Padilla would look up at the 100 meters and then check down to a 5 meter race
Ferentz would not let Labas enter the race

You would think this is a Nebbie board where we were on a 6 year bowl drought instead of our second 10 win season in 3 years......

I'd be excited for a QB that doesn't turn the ball over so damn much. I can't believe Hill is the best we have, or that a turnover averse coach like Kirk keeps running him out there

And the bench.

With a new OC and possible new approach, and with his career in its twilight, perhaps this kid presents an inflection point for KF. Allow the new OC to build an offense around this kid that resembles what we did with Brad Banks. Base offense, a lot of bootleg, and mix in some QB draws and an shotgun options. KF's next QB after Cade literally might be his last. Cade, when not hurt, can move his feet when needed so you can start the transition away from the true pro style in 2024. Let this kid learn behind Cade for a year and them turn him loose.

With a new OC and possible new approach, and with his career in its twilight, perhaps this kid presents an inflection point for KF. Allow the new OC to build an offense around this kid that resembles what we did with Brad Banks. Base offense, a lot of bootleg, and mix in some QB draws and an shotgun options. KF's next QB after Cade literally might be his last. Cade, when not hurt, can move his feet when needed so you can start the transition away from the true pro style in 2024. Let this kid learn behind Cade for a year and them turn him loose.

The thing about Banks that I remember was that he really wasn't a "running" QB as I don't think KF even wanted it back then, but he was an opportunistic QB. I remember all the 3 & 8's where if nothing was available downfield he'd just take off and get the 9 yds to move the chains. He didn't take that many hits either and often times ended the play out of bounds. I can still envision him doing that.

He also got some deep balls to receivers downfield like Clinton Solomon, Clark, etc.. so had that ability as well.

The thing about Banks that I remember was that he really wasn't a "running" QB as I don't think KF even wanted it back then, but he was an opportunistic QB. I remember all the 3 & 8's where if nothing was available downfield he'd just take off and get the 9 yds to move the chains. He didn't take that many hits either and often times ended the play out of bounds. I can still envision him doing that.

He also got some deep balls to receivers downfield like Clinton Solomon, Clark, etc.. so had that ability as well.
Agreed. I am not suggesting we move to K-State's offense. But, having a mobile kid that can do effective boots, pull it down and scramble when needed, and every once in a while do a designed run, would be so helpful. Jalen Hurts/Eagles type of offense.

Agreed. I am not suggesting we move to K-State's offense. But, having a mobile kid that can do effective boots, pull it down and scramble when needed, and every once in a while do a designed run, would be so helpful. Jalen Hurts/Eagles type of offense.

I definitely agree. They can do is smartly if taught. QB's can be effective runners and learn how not to take hits. If it's a designed play, the play should be able to create a running lane which would be predictable which coaches like.

It's those unpredictable run plays that can get QB's hurt and that worry coaches.

And think about what a QB that can get those 8-10 yards would do for opening up the TE's in their crossing routes. Captain Kirk has consistently recruited the position wrong since Banks, there is nothing more obvious than this. Our best teams have consistently been those with the most mobile QB's

I think one of the hardest things to evaluate and teach a QB is pocket awareness. You watch the great ones in the NFL, they are not all speed demons, but they know how to slide in the pocket, when to leak out of the pocket and when to tuck and run. Its nearly as important a skill as throwing accurately. Banks and Tate were so good in the pocket. CJ was as well.

Starting with Stanley, this skill has gotten worse and worse. Hill was awful at this and Petras worse.

We need a OC that can also develop QBs. And I agree that QB recruitment has not been good. We get the same kid: marginal 4 star recruit that lit things up in high school as a spread QB but does not have the natural skills or athleticism to make it at the collegiate level. We need to do better.

Latest posts