'24 QB Commit James Resar Trusts KF, Iowa Football

I think one of the hardest things to evaluate and teach a QB is pocket awareness. You watch the great ones in the NFL, they are not all speed demons, but they know how to slide in the pocket, when to leak out of the pocket and when to tuck and run. Its nearly as important a skill as throwing accurately. Banks and Tate were so good in the pocket. CJ was as well.

Starting with Stanley, this skill has gotten worse and worse. Hill was awful at this and Petras worse.

We need a OC that can also develop QBs. And I agree that QB recruitment has not been good. We get the same kid: marginal 4 star recruit that lit things up in high school as a spread QB but does not have the natural skills or athleticism to make it at the collegiate level. We need to do better.

I agree that Petra wasn't great with pocket awareness, but I think Hill is the worst yet. There were probably half a dozen sacks (multiple resulting in fumbles) that were entirely on him, not the OL.

Stanley was a solid athlete (holds numerous testing records, especially strength-related, for Iowa QBs), but he wasn't great in the pocket, and he didn't have that natural wiggle that CJ or even Rudock had. He did progress while he was here. I am not sure why, but Resar kind of reminds me of Stanley in the limited highlights I watched, but obviously with better straight speed (10.6 is legit). He doesn't necessarily seem shifty. His stats aren't eye-popping, but neither were Stanley's, and I don't know anything about his system or the level of competition.

Our QBs have been downhill since Greg Davis left. Say what you will about his offensive design, but he seemed capable of identifying and developing decent QBs. Since he left, the QB room has been a struggle.

Kid runs a 10.6 100 meters? Holy crap. I don't know if he has any wiggle to his run game, but that is legit speed. I am excited to get this kid on campus and he sounds excited to be here.

By comparison, here is how other recent Iowa QBs would do if they raced him:

Hill would run the 100 meters in about 3 hours depending upon how many snack breaks he took
Cade would break his foot a third of the way down the track
Petras would fall down out of the blocks
Stanley would ride Lindy all the way down and finish second
Padilla would look up at the 100 meters and then check down to a 5 meter race
Ferentz would not let Labas enter the race
Hilarious.

I think one of the hardest things to evaluate and teach a QB is pocket awareness. You watch the great ones in the NFL, they are not all speed demons, but they know how to slide in the pocket, when to leak out of the pocket and when to tuck and run. Its nearly as important a skill as throwing accurately. Banks and Tate were so good in the pocket. CJ was as well.

Starting with Stanley, this skill has gotten worse and worse. Hill was awful at this and Petras worse.

We need a OC that can also develop QBs. And I agree that QB recruitment has not been good. We get the same kid: marginal 4 star recruit that lit things up in high school as a spread QB but does not have the natural skills or athleticism to make it at the collegiate level. We need to do better.
I agree. Along with this, teaching the QB to read where the blitz is coming from.

I agree. Along with this, teaching the QB to read where the blitz is coming from.
So you don't think Hill, Padilla and Petras were all that attentive then?

In all fairness most defensive fronts showed anyone of maybe 8 defenders were going to simply sprint into the Iowa backfield, probably untouched, and blow-up whatever plays are called.

Nonetheless, those three guys had jr. high level field vision.

I agree that Petra wasn't great with pocket awareness, but I think Hill is the worst yet. There were probably half a dozen sacks (multiple resulting in fumbles) that were entirely on him, not the OL.

Stanley was a solid athlete (holds numerous testing records, especially strength-related, for Iowa QBs), but he wasn't great in the pocket, and he didn't have that natural wiggle that CJ or even Rudock had. He did progress while he was here. I am not sure why, but Resar kind of reminds me of Stanley in the limited highlights I watched, but obviously with better straight speed (10.6 is legit). He doesn't necessarily seem shifty. His stats aren't eye-popping, but neither were Stanley's, and I don't know anything about his system or the level of competition.

Our QBs have been downhill since Greg Davis left. Say what you will about his offensive design, but he seemed capable of identifying and developing decent QBs. Since he left, the QB room has been a struggle.

FWIW, Petras was the last guy KOK brought in and Kirk rubber stamped his approval upon. Bypassing, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson for Petras and the 'what if ' scenario still lingers out there.

FWIW, Petras was the last guy KOK brought in and Kirk rubber stamped his approval upon. Bypassing, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson for Petras and the 'what if ' scenario still lingers out there.
Of course that particular theory is based on rumor. Did they publicly express even a real interest Iowa. Zach Wilson's bio makes no mention of Iowa, he was committed to Boise State. Read his bio-born for BYU, and probably committed 60 seconds after the offer.

Lance was not offered as a QB by any D1 programs. Kind of hard to blame the coaches for failing to see a quality that every other D1 coach also failed to see.

I agree that there was a sudden drop in QB recruiting beginning with Spencer. Petras, Padilla, Hogan, Hill were all big misses. I think Labas would have been good by KF is just too risk averse. Prior to those four we usually had good QBs.

Stanley, JVB-preinjury, CJ, Rudock, Ricky, Drew Tate, Nate C, and BB was a pretty good run of quality QBs. Look at their numbers playing in essentially the same system. Even Jake C, who wasn't great, had far better numbers than Hill, Petras, Padilla and Hogan, again in the same basic offense. I'd love to have Jake C now.
There were only 9 TDs thrown this season. Only 7 last year. That means Jake C threw more TDs in one season with a inexperienced and injured line and very young receivers than the entire team has thrown in the last 26 games. Jake only threw 6 interceptions in 2007. The seasons 2002 and 2003 have seen 16 interceptions. Let those numbers sink in.

Jury out on McNamara, he hasn't played healthy at Iowa, and generally played little at Iowa. While the offense has had other problems, I opine everything starts with the QB. Hill, Padilla, Petras and Hogan showed themselves to be unplayable. The Padilla and Hogan transfers have still left them buried on someone else's bench.

The new OC's job is to obtain at least average QBing.​

Last edited:

Latest posts