2022 QB

JRD90

I think Iowa is in good shape with skill position players (Goodson, LaPorta, Johnson, Bruce) but really need a playmaking QB. I just don't think Petras/Padilla are going to be that QB, and I assume maybe one of them transfers this winter.

Sounds like true freshman Labas is generating a lot of buzz about the future, but maybe he's not quite ready to take over in 2022. So would Iowa entertain a grad transfer QB? I still love the days of Brad Banks or even Drew Tate who could make plays outside the pocket, and would love for Iowa to bring in a QB that is more mobile. A lot of teams find ways to play 2 different types of QB (traditional pocket passer and dual threat), so I wish Iowa would do the same.

Don't hold your breath... I mean if say Petras and Padilla both left then they'd about have to bring in a transfer. But I don't think that's likely I feel like one of them will be back. I think one most likely leaves though just not both and with that being the case with Labas and May coming in they may not bring in another qb beyond that

If a Russell Wilson type qb is in the portal and would want to come to Iowa for a year Kirk would be dumb not to take him. Or a very good passing qb, more accurate than we have, with smarts and some mobility, they should look at him for a year.

Petras and Padilla are serviceable and can have some good streaks of throwing the ball if the running game gets better and the pass protection is better.

Some of our pass routes just dont get guys open consistently on clutch downs like a receiver who can start to run deep, turn his defender, and come back for an easy 7 yards and maybe more YAC. KJohnson has shown this ability, if CJones stays he is fast enough to do this, these are great routes on 1st and 10 and whenever.

QB Penix from Indiana is in the portal, but can't imagine him coming to Iowa's offense. Nebraska's, perhaps. No doubt Iowa coaches will tell both Petras & Padilla it's an open competition heading into the spring, but if they list Petras as the starter in Jan and not an 'either/or' with Padilla, I'm guessing Padilla is gone. Coaches have had 2 years to compare them side-by-side and for whatever reason seem committed to starting Petras if he's healthy. If I'm Padilla, I take my 3-0 record as a starter in the BTen and head for the portal.

QB Penix from Indiana is in the portal, but can't imagine him coming to Iowa's offense. Nebraska's, perhaps. No doubt Iowa coaches will tell both Petras & Padilla it's an open competition heading into the spring, but if they list Petras as the starter in Jan and not an 'either/or' with Padilla, I'm guessing Padilla is gone. Coaches have had 2 years to compare them side-by-side and for whatever reason seem committed to starting Petras if he's healthy. If I'm Padilla, I take my 3-0 record as a starter in the BTen and head for the portal.
He's way too fragile for Kirk to take a flyer on him. Bring him in and you lose Padilla and Petras to the portal, then you're left with a redshirt freshman when Penix gets hurt. All the reasons Iowa would never go after Martinez apply.

I have heard buzz a number of times on QB’s. Padilla, Hogan, Petras all have been touted. I know nothing about Labas, but history tells me another disappointment may be looming.

If a Russell Wilson type qb is in the portal and would want to come to Iowa for a year Kirk would be dumb not to take him. Or a very good passing qb, more accurate than we have, with smarts and some mobility, they should look at him for a year.

Petras and Padilla are serviceable and can have some good streaks of throwing the ball if the running game gets better and the pass protection is better.

Some of our pass routes just dont get guys open consistently on clutch downs like a receiver who can start to run deep, turn his defender, and come back for an easy 7 yards and maybe more YAC. KJohnson has shown this ability, if CJones stays he is fast enough to do this, these are great routes on 1st and 10 and whenever.
Transfer portal QB shopping is a stupid idea. If a guy’s in the portal there’s a reason, and Iowa’s system isn’t one that you just pick up. Washed up walk ons have said that multiple times, and those are three guys who were in the locker room every day.

Some of you guys are acting like this is the NFL waiver wire where you just go pick a guy up.

Jesus.

The portal is 99% dudes who are either drama queens or not good enough to start at their current schools. One of the two. The 1% left over ain’t coming to Iowa.

Transfer portal QB shopping is a stupid idea. If a guy’s in the portal there’s a reason, and Iowa’s system isn’t one that you just pick up. Washed up walk ons have said that multiple times, and those are three guys who were in the locker room every day.

Some of you guys are acting like this is the NFL waiver wire where you just go pick a guy up.

Jesus.

The portal is 99% dudes who are either drama queens or not good enough to start at their current schools. One of the two. The 1% left over ain’t coming to Iowa.
The portal is a good place to pick up guys from schools where the players weren't recruited highly and have shown their potential at that school. I like the occasional lineman, defensive player, or receiver that are trying to upgrade themselves. Iowa has done well with this type of player.

The portal is a good place to pick up guys from schools where the players weren't recruited highly and have shown their potential at that school. I like the occasional lineman, defensive player, or receiver that are trying to upgrade themselves. Iowa has done well with this type of player.
No doubt we've plugged and played more then a few guys like that over the years. Qb is a different animal though. Since we aren't exactly Oklahoma and have a QB whisperer we haven't been somewhere QBs without a home turn to like the Jalen Hurtss of the world.

Sideways turn from this but that kid at OSU that's transfering now I find his story interesting. They brought in like 3 guys all like top 10 recruited kids or some shit. Obviously a couple would probably be leaving well everyone is pissed at this one kid for going there getting a million dollar NIL deal without having played a down. Well isn't that the sort of thing schools have been doing for decades now? Kudos to the kid for working the system as it is now and how it should be.

Yes, the old bagman network.
Of course that went on for some kids now more kids can get in on the action. What gets me is some guys in the media that seem to not like NIL. Darren Rovell is one of em. It's just odd to have that take.

Folks are mad that Quin Ewers went to OSU got a big NIL deal never played and now is leaving to go home to TX most likely. To that I say good for him using the system. Nobody forced the company to hook him up. That was their risk and nobody else. Why on earth does that matter to joe blow fan or the schools either one?

I agree that most of the portal is trash, but if there is a QB who has either had high level success at a smaller school, or had mixed-results as a starter at a struggling Power school, KF should absolutely take that call.

Spencer Rattler was not very good in a dynamic Oklahoma offense, but does any think he would NOT be an improvement over the two guys we have now? Come on.

The issue to me isn't whether there are a few candidates in the portal that Iowa should take a look at, or whether KF should consider an upgrade transfer at QB at all. There are and he should. The issue is that anyone who would be an upgrade is highly unlikely to want to come to Iowa and play in this offense.

The sales pitch is: come to Iowa where the offensive line will be mostly back and better, we have good skills guys coming back up and down, we will likely be ranked preseason, we play in an NFL system, and we are really just a good QB away from being a national contender. I will clear the other two guys out and the job is yours. Interested? (Nope)

Spencer Rattler was not very good in a dynamic Oklahoma offense, but does any think he would NOT be an improvement over the two guys we have now? Come on.

I might be in the minority here, but I honestly think the spread RPO crap is ruining football. I honestly don't know if Spencer Rattler would be an upgrade. If we ran some candy ass RPO, sure, he would be an upgrade, but we don't run that offense. I think it is really easy to extrapolate a guy in one system and imagine how he would be with Iowa's revolving door offensive line and "average" skill at other skill positions. I suspect Rattler would struggle mightily with our offense.

No matter what happens, if we don't get a new QB, mediocrity at this position will be our best case scenario. Unless Padilla gets alot more time to develop in the off season. I don't think we've seen enough of him to really know his top end.

I have heard buzz a number of times on QB’s. Padilla, Hogan, Petras all have been touted. I know nothing about Labas, but history tells me another disappointment may be looming.

If yo get a chance go check his youtube highlights... he is from Ricky Stanzi home town I think .. bust this kid is goood!! watch him run!!

Latest posts