2022 QB

I think Iowa is in good shape with skill position players (Goodson, LaPorta, Johnson, Bruce) but really need a playmaking QB. I just don't think Petras/Padilla are going to be that QB, and I assume maybe one of them transfers this winter.

Sounds like true freshman Labas is generating a lot of buzz about the future, but maybe he's not quite ready to take over in 2022. So would Iowa entertain a grad transfer QB? I still love the days of Brad Banks or even Drew Tate who could make plays outside the pocket, and would love for Iowa to bring in a QB that is more mobile. A lot of teams find ways to play 2 different types of QB (traditional pocket passer and dual threat), so I wish Iowa would do the same.
where is the speed or deep threat depth ? jones is a sr cooper a sr other than ritter #29 no one else in the room has ever caught a pass... 4 guys with speed transferred out...they guys we have are ok - good except for 6 and 10 but where is a guy like SM?

I might be in the minority here, but I honestly think the spread RPO crap is ruining football. I honestly don't know if Spencer Rattler would be an upgrade. If we ran some candy ass RPO, sure, he would be an upgrade, but we don't run that offense. I think it is really easy to extrapolate a guy in one system and imagine how he would be with Iowa's revolving door offensive line and "average" skill at other skill positions. I suspect Rattler would struggle mightily with our offense.
The RPO is a great concept if it is done legally, meaning the lineman cannot go downfield before the QB releases the ball. The refs do not call that enough. Its enforcement of the rules that is the issue, not the concept itself, IMHO.

As for Rattler, OU's offense was a lot more than just RPO. Rattler wasn't a good enough runner and the kid behind him was just better. Despite his struggles, he would be an upgrade over the P & P show. Or at least I am willing to take that chance. I think we largely know what we have there.

I’m going to go out on a limb here. Petras will start. Iowa will win 8 games.
I’ll take the over. Might very well push though. Hawks open 5-0, capped with a win against Michigan in Kinnick, only to drop the next two at Purdue and Ohio State. The only other likely loss on the schedule is Wisconsin, but the Boogers come to Iowa City.

Take the Snake

2021 Heisman Favorites: Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler leads all odds | Cover  3 College Football - YouTube

The RPO is a great concept if it is done legally, meaning the lineman cannot go downfield before the QB releases the ball. The refs do not call that enough. Its enforcement of the rules that is the issue, not the concept itself, IMHO.

As for Rattler, OU's offense was a lot more than just RPO. Rattler wasn't a good enough runner and the kid behind him was just better. Despite his struggles, he would be an upgrade over the P & P show. Or at least I am willing to take that chance. I think we largely know what we have there.
A Qb that we missed on (and so did MN and everyone else) that coulda helped us with running some of those RPO type plays was Trey Lance. I'm sure Iowa was aware of him. MN was recruiting him as a DB and he wanted to play QB but no D1 schools would take him so to NDSU he went. Could you imagine a bigger stronger armed kid no less mobile probably more so than what Brad Banks was coulda done for us?

Latest posts