2019 Recruiting: Big Board

Top targets right now appear to be Keion Brooks, Malik Hall, Trayce Jackson-Davis, and Zeke Nnaji. All top 100 guys who have all said something good about Iowa. Coaches still haven’t offered any additional PGs.

Would be great to land one of these guys but as we well know we are still probably a long shot at each guy on an individual level with several other schools involved.

Top targets right now appear to be Keion Brooks, Malik Hall, Trayce Jackson-Davis, and Zeke Nnaji. All top 100 guys who have all said something good about Iowa. Coaches still haven’t offered any additional PGs.

Would be great to land one of these guys but as we well know we are still probably a long shot at each guy on an individual level with several other schools involved.

Is there a 1% chance we get one of these guys?

I guess you could credit Fran for being in the top 6 or 8 for these kind of players but if he doesn't get any of them, he just ends up with a recruitment participation trophy.

But it would be awesome to hear the unexpected that one of these guys commits.

Last edited:
We'll probably end up with an "under the radar",

I guess you could credit Fran for being in the top 6 or 8 for these kind of players but if he doesn't get any of them, he just ends up with a recruitment participation trophy.

Based on quotes and visits (or planning visits) I would give us better than a 1% chance with those guys. I’d say something more like.

Nnaji - 20%
Brooks - 15%
Hall - 10%
Jackson-Davis - 2%

To land these types of kids, Fran needs to sell that Tyler Cook is going to be an all big ten player and get selected in the NBA draft. Then Tyler needs to go out and do it. The minutes will be there for a dominant forward to start from day 1 next year if Cook leaves.

We'll probably end up with an "under the radar",

I agree. The odds are a lot higher than Iowa will get a couple of them. Fran needs to load up on talented guys for when his son takes over at the point.

Based on quotes and visits (or planning visits) I would give us better than a 1% chance with those guys. I’d say something more like.

Nnaji - 20%
Brooks - 15%
Hall - 10%
Jackson-Davis - 2%

I forgot how to calculate the overall % chance of landing one of these guys if all of these % chances were accurate but I'd guess it's about 7% we get one.

Still not great but there'd be a glimmer of hope.

I'd give X. Foster a 20% at this point as well so that might up it to 11%.

I forgot how to calculate the overall % chance of landing one of these guys if all of these % chances were accurate but I'd guess it's about 7% we get one.

I’m not sure how to calculate the probability, but I don’t think it would be less than 20%. If Nnaji’s were 20% then the probability that we get Nnaji, or one of the other players can’t be less than 20%.

Maybe I’d need to lower my predictions a bit, but the chances of us landing one of those 2019 guys I’d put at 30%.

Most of the time your right with some of the cheating blue bloods out there. I doubt that Fran is bending rules to pay for his unofficial visit. That's the whole difference between officials and unofficials is who's paying for the travel. My hopes aren't nearly as high as they were prior to Carton committing to OSU. If we could have landed him than I think we had an even money chance at Brooks. Now I think it's a pipe dream.
I'm talking about 3rd parties paying for everything. Handlers/agents/associates/AAU coaches, etc.

Woody was way better defensively but didn't seem to have more athleticism. Do you think Garza is less athletic than Woody or just doesn't have the natural smarts to play good defense?
Woody had quicker feet. Woody could hedge and recover. Evan as a FR.

I'm talking about 3rd parties paying for everything. Handlers/agents/associates/AAU coaches, etc.
Sure but they do it at the behest of coaches/programs. They aren't doing it on their own. They may be paying them for their own benefit but not as far as pushing them towards schools to commit to. There has to be something in it for everyone involved. The HCs may not know the details but they know the gist of what's going on. Pitino is out there now pimping some tell all memoir... Give me a break if he tries to sell to us how hands off and innocent he is...

Woody had quicker feet. Woody could hedge and recover. Evan as a FR.
Your dead on. His D and moving his feet 5 feet past the 3 pt line was great. Pretty textbook actually. Garza I think is capable. He's not slow. I think maybe he is just thinking too much out there and not reading/reacting which is what basketball is. Hope he gets better at it.

Your dead on. His D and moving his feet 5 feet past the 3 pt line was great. Pretty textbook actually. Garza I think is capable. He's not slow. I think maybe he is just thinking too much out there and not reading/reacting which is what basketball is. Hope he gets better at it.

You're not wrong, but I don't really expect 18 year old 7 footers to be fully coordinated and ready to take on the big ten. He should be able to figure it out.

About 40%, I think

That is assuming these events are all independent, which is probably not quite true. I am sure there is some other basic stats stuff I am ignoring/butchering.

He's slow.

Don’t love our chances here but you never know.

Probably end up being another big tease that ends with nothing. Hope being in the top 6 for these 4-5 star guys serves some greater recruiting purpose for Fran to be used for the benefit of Iowa basketball in the future.

Not surprising. Hadn’t heard much on the Iowa / McKinney recruitment. Maybe we cooled on him or he cooled on us but it didn’t seem like they were spending much time on him in recent weeks.

Latest posts