2018 and beyond - a wandering and degenerated thread

NCHawker

I'm optimistic. Depth on the OLine and Running back, Stanley, ISM and Smith will be fine. TE will be great. I hope Brian continues to mature along with the staff. I'm sure they will

The D - hey this is Iowa, they'll be fine. Iowa played 8 guys on the Dline, LBs will be new but I think they'll be fine.

Bowl practice will help a lot

A look at the linebackers ......

Jones and Mends are legitimate athletes, and Nick is supposedly a better athlete than Ben. All hinges on who steps up at MLB imo. Hockaday was the backup last year, but has been hurt most of the season and it allowed Welch to surpass him. Athleticism-wise, I think this group is in good shape, but the experience of Jewell, Niemann, and Bower will be missed greatly. Hopefully what should be a good D-line eats up blockers and allows them to play clean.

I'm optimistic. Depth on the OLine and Running back, Stanley, ISM and Smith will be fine. TE will be great. I hope Brian continues to mature along with the staff. I'm sure they will

The D - hey this is Iowa, they'll be fine. Iowa played 8 guys on the Dline, LBs will be new but I think they'll be fine.

Hankins and Stone impressed me today as well. If we don't drop off a lot at LB, Def could be really solid again.

A look at the linebackers ......

The numbers specs look good. Another off-season, Spring, and Fall...

I like it.

I think Welch and Jones are probably the two most likely to start. After that, hard to say. The rumor is that the coaches are high on Wieland. There should be plenty of competition going into the spring, especially if they get a commit from the JUCO LB Honas.

Not sure how these guys will do, hopefully excel with a more experienced defensive line in front of them.

I think the future depends upon the coaching/leadership that Iowa will have...sad part about this year is that 4-5 games Iowa didn't show up with energy, a working game plan, or efficiency...any decent team and coaching staff can't afford those eggs...but KF does it often...it is the way of Kirk...

Would like to avoid thinking inept, futile, hopeless when watching Iowa next year....

Coaching/leadership...needs to step it up...and the OC will have a year of experience...sigh

Kirk's grade this year...C-...too many dead zones to be any higher.

I love the RB stable. Young is going to be good.

^ You said it. Potential is there, but I just can't buy into any hype with this staff anymore. Been fooled and let down too many times.

I agree especially on offense. We finally saw one or two counter action type runs yesterday in the 12th game. I am tossing out the first half of the Wyoming game but the offense was very stale and inept so much of the time. It is amazing that the offense had issues many times this year just getting basic plays to work or running quick passes against blitz. I hope the QBs and receivers can work a lot together on their own to get their timing down. JNW seems to always be a microcosm of this team as the hawks had well over 200 yards in the first half but only scored just before halftime then the offense did nothing new in the second half.

I agree we have some good talent coming back and a chance at a nice season next year. But like others have posted, do we really trust this staff to cycle through this talent in the next 2 years getting the most out of it?

NOW is the time for Kirk to step down. The cupboard is as full as it has been in years and we have a soft schedule next year. The new coach and program would be allowed the smooth transition kirk missed out on when hayden left too late. It's also what Barry Alvarez did when he stepped down and let bret b. takeover. The best thing for The program would be for kirk to retire right now, but he'll put the money, ego, Iowa wins record, and sons career ahead of the program.

any look into the future has to be tempered by the fact that 2/3 of the decision makers at the top are ferentzes. it is their ultra conservatism, despite any amount of talent we may have, is what holds this program back in the win column. i will not be optimistic for anything other than 6-8 wins in any preseason that this is the case. we simply cannot anticipate anything but.

I'd feel much better about the defense if Jackson was coming back but I think he's gone. I'm concerned about our secondary next season but, hopefully, our DL will help them out by putting constant pressure on the QB. Epenesa is going to be a beast on the d-line.

If Jackson leaves, which he should, we need Rugumba to revert back to his Freshman form. Hankins looked good yesterday. We have several safeties when alll are healthy.

I'd feel much better about the defense if Jackson was coming back but I think he's gone. I'm concerned about our secondary next season but, hopefully, our DL will help them out by putting constant pressure on the QB. Epenesa is going to be a beast on the d-line.

you know, the announcers said during the game yesterday that JJ is only "ok" in zone coverage. Perhaps there is a chance he returns. JJ, Rugumba, Hankins, Stone, Hooker and Colbert gives us a formidable backfield. I really hope JJ comes back. I'm of the opinion that Rugumba had a SO slump.

Umm, I’m not. KF apologist, but the Hawks were 12-0 in the regular season two years ago. So it can be done under KF, just saying.

I said preseason confidence. I get your point....but most folks were predicting 8 wins that season. 12-0 was great and it was earned. but it was also an anomaly.

Latest posts