2018 and beyond - a wandering and degenerated thread

If there is one thing I’ve learned, it’s that there’s no need for me to get amped for the season. Zero optimism for anything other than 8 wins. I’ll just take it a game at a time. I’ve seen seasons with injuries, flukes, poor coaching, bad luck, bad calls, bad play calling, bad locker room leadership, bad attitudes... whatever. And as it’s been said 100 times, FERENTZ LLC is still on the head coaches office door.

Not sure how these guys will do, hopefully excel with a more experienced defensive line in front of them.

I think the future depends upon the coaching/leadership that Iowa will have...sad part about this year is that 4-5 games Iowa didn't show up with energy, a working game plan, or efficiency...any decent team and coaching staff can't afford those eggs...but KF does it often...it is the way of Kirk...

Would like to avoid thinking inept, futile, hopeless when watching Iowa next year....

Coaching/leadership...needs to step it up...and the OC will have a year of experience...sigh

Kirk's grade this year...C-...too many dead zones to be any higher.

That's why I back Josh's thread about the Nebraska game proving even more he needs to be fired.

It was great to see Iowa explode in the 2nd half, yesterday. Yes, Nebraska flat-out quit but Iowa actually seized the opportunity and piled on. I'd like to say I was surprised but I actually predicted it after Wisconsin (also that they would eek out a W vs Purdue but they fell short).

Strangely, I found myself feeling a bit indifferent about the W and mostly just more disgust toward derKirkFer.
-- How can any competent coach - who so dogmatically emphasizes consistent execution of fundamentals, knowing who you are and doing what you do - repeatedly have such wild pendulum swings like this season - suck 2, blowout win, suck 2, blowout win?
-- How can any competent coach not have his team AND staff - who clearly demonstrate their capabilities, skills, and talents with huge W's - ready to perform each week? Not even perform at the OhSt / Nebby level but at least be ready to perform at average to good level and be competitive.

If this team simply had a consistently competent and strategically sound offensive game plan, the Hawks would be no worse than 10-2 and, all things equal, likely undefeated.

Yeah, yeah, "Hindsight is 20/20" but, this season, and so many past seasons, and every future season, I don't need "hindsight" to state what is obvious and reliable expectation for all to see -- that, under Kirk Ferentz, Iowa is far more likely to underperform its potential due to lack of preparation, sound offensive strategy, reluctance to effectively use it's weapons and failure to aggressively attack it's opponents' weaknesses than it is to exceed it.

Each and every one of those facets lies at the feet of derKirkFer's dogma.

(DAMMIT!! I said I wouldn't but there I go, again. As I've typed and stated so many times over the past dozen years ... shouting in the wind.:()

you know, the announcers said during the game yesterday that JJ is only "ok" in zone coverage. Perhaps there is a chance he returns. JJ, Rugumba, Hankins, Stone, Hooker and Colbert gives us a formidable backfield. I really hope JJ comes back. I'm of the opinion that Rugumba had a SO slump.

I'd agree with that, he's much better in man to man coverage and that's a good thing.

To bad we need him in the secondary so bad as he's got incredible hands for a receiver.

That's why I back Josh's thread about the Nebraska game proving even more he needs to be fired.

It was great to see Iowa explode in the 2nd half, yesterday. Yes, Nebraska flat-out quit but Iowa actually seized the opportunity and piled on. I'd like to say I was surprised but I actually predicted it after Wisconsin (also that they would eek out a W vs Purdue but they fell short).

Strangely, I found myself feeling a bit indifferent about the W and mostly just more disgust toward derKirkFer.
-- How can any competent coach - who so dogmatically emphasizes consistent execution of fundamentals, knowing who you are and doing what you do - repeatedly have such wild pendulum swings like this season - suck 2, blowout win, suck 2, blowout win?
-- How can any competent coach not have his team AND staff - who clearly demonstrate their capabilities, skills, and talents with huge W's - ready to perform each week? Not even perform at the OhSt / Nebby level but at least be ready to perform at average to good level and be competitive.

If this team simply had a consistently competent and strategically sound offensive game plan, the Hawks would be no worse than 10-2 and, all things equal, likely undefeated.

Yeah, yeah, "Hindsight is 20/20" but, this season, and so many past seasons, and every future season, I don't need "hindsight" to state what is obvious and reliable expectation for all to see -- that, under Kirk Ferentz, Iowa is far more likely to underperform its potential due to lack of preparation, sound offensive strategy, reluctance to effectively use it's weapons and failure to aggressively attack it's opponents' weaknesses than it is to exceed it.

(DAMMIT!! I said I wouldn't but there I go, again. As I've typed and stated so many times over the past dozen years ... shouting in the wind.:()

inconsistency as a program.

^ You said it. Potential is there, but I just can't buy into any hype with this staff anymore. Been fooled and let down too many times.
I was going to say this almost word for word.

All the preseason coaches talking about attacking, AW in slot and in space, yada-yada...

If Jackson leaves, which he should, we need Rugumba to revert back to his Freshman form. Hankins looked good yesterday. We have several safeties when alll are healthy.
Agree. Rugumba looked better yesterday.

Hankins, Stone, and Hooker .... wow!

I completely agree that the big wins only serve to frustrate Iowa fans, and seriously put into question this staff's ability to motivate. I've always been supportive of Ferentz, but one drawback with his even-keel personality is that it almost certainly restricts his ability to instill passion into his players. Passion basically takes care of itself in big games, but, the job falls on the staff to get the same level of passion for games against opponents that you should beat on paper.

Too often...during a game...Kirk looks like a duck that has been hit in the head...this demeanor spreads.... capitulation...confusion....apathy....rolling over...not very inspiring...

I am very optimistic. Alarac Jackson. Listed at 320 pounds, Tristan Wirfs at 315 get another year in Doyle's sweat shop. Another year stronger. They were much of Iowa's line problems this year, but next year they should be much better.
Running backs good. QB good. Really impressed with the QB that Stanley is becoming. He gets some accuracy and the receivers will all step up a notch. We have seen some flashes of brilliance from Ihmir Smith-Marsette. Along with some WTF moments! TE's, Fant and Hockenson. I don't think Iowa has ever had this good a TE tandem.

Iowa's D linemen should take a step forward. In fact the whole D line should be improved. AJ. What can we say? Got 3 more years of him. Line backers some experience. D backs lots of experience. Wouldn't expect Josh Jackson to return. But it would be real nice if he would. Having a good D line will make the job of the linebackers and D backs much easier.

Can't imagine that the special teams...Punter could do much worse.
Over all Iowa looks good next years. Easier schedule. More experience for the young players. New freshman class coming in. Losing some good seniors.

Too often...during a game...Kirk looks like a duck that has been hit in the head...this demeanor spreads.... capitulation...confusion....apathy....rolling over...not very inspiring...
What does a duck ....look like after getting hit in the head?

Is it anything like a poster....that....uses....dots....after....every....
word....

Drama....?....

KF is at his best when there are no expectations so I want everyone not to have any.:)

I am very optimistic. Alarac Jackson. Listed at 320 pounds, Tristan Wirfs at 315 get another year in Doyle's sweat shop. Another year stronger. They were much of Iowa's line problems this year, but next year they should be much better.
Running backs good. QB good. Really impressed with the QB that Stanley is becoming. He gets some accuracy and the receivers will all step up a notch. We have seen some flashes of brilliance from Ihmir Smith-Marsette. Along with some WTF moments! TE's, Fant and Hockenson. I don't think Iowa has ever had this good a TE tandem.

Iowa's D linemen should take a step forward. In fact the whole D line should be improved. AJ. What can we say? Got 3 more years of him. Line backers some experience. D backs lots of experience. Wouldn't expect Josh Jackson to return. But it would be real nice if he would. Having a good D line will make the job of the linebackers and D backs much easier.

Can't imagine that the special teams...Punter could do much worse.
Over all Iowa looks good next years. Easier schedule. More experience for the young players. New freshman class coming in. Losing some good seniors.

<<Punter could do much worse>>

I don't think so. We have seen "worst", can't get "worse" than that.

This team should contend for the West next year. I don't know how much Wisconsin loses but they have a lot harder schedule next year @ Iowa, Northwestern, Mich., PSU. Iowa's toughest road game is at PSU and gets Wisky, Northwestern & Neb. at home. Iowa also doesn't play Mich. or OSU next year.

Wisconsin starts 10 seniors on defense, they have lot of rebuilding to do there. Northwestern loses the QB and the RB Jackson at least.

Instead of contending Iowa should win the West next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts