2016 PF Ryan Kriener Commits

I had mentioned that I thought that when Kriener got the Missouri and Wichita St. offers that Fran would then offer as well if he thought Kriener was as quality at Painter and Rakavoc. I guess we got our answer.

I think Kriener could be a good one. He has a lot of offers, and Missouri and Wichita St are his bigger offers. Wisconsin was starting to sniff around, so he really opened some eyes with his play this July. All good signs, as it seems he is really just scratching the surface of the player he could be, and Fran is good/great at developing players.

Three ball and ball handling looks good for 6'9 hs kid. May have worse hops than woody though based on just the one video I watched. Competition in the one video looks pretty bad too. I wonder if he can do anything against players his size on the inside?

So we don't want Bohannon? I honestly don't know, so I am asking for someone who might. I've heard there's a good chance of him getting an offer. If he doesn't he'll probably just go to one of our rivals and start for 3 years.

So we don't want Bohannon? I honestly don't know, so I am asking for someone who might. I've heard there's a good chance of him getting an offer. If he doesn't he'll probably just go to one of our rivals and start for 3 years.

Fran has to be tired of watching kids with Bohannon on their jerseys drain 3s for Iowas rivals. I'm fine with having that on the Hawks side. If he is anything like the Wisconsin one or UNI one, I say get him.

Three ball and ball handling looks good for 6'9 hs kid. May have worse hops than woody though based on just the one video I watched. Competition in the one video looks pretty bad too. I wonder if he can do anything against players his size on the inside?

Just curious... do you have a link to that video? It's intriguing because if it leads people to believe that he is a stretch 4 type of player... I think they are misguided.

This guy is more of a bruiser inside. In the games I've seen, he hasn't even eyeballed a shot too far outside of the lane.

Just watched his junior year tape and it looks pretty good. A little better hops than I thought although competition is nothing like he would see against larger schools outside of Iowa. Someone mentioned a collision comparison and I can def see that which would be a very good thing. I also see a little frank the tank POTENTIAL as well with his outside shot, passing, and touch around the hoop. The thing in not impressed with is he does not seem very explosive at all around the hoop. Against players his own size... Wonder what he will be able to do. Overall, mixed, but I trust Fran on it given the poyential and give it my blessing.

I think he has some skills as a big that sort of compare well to Frank K from Wisconsin. But, he will probably need time to develop the feel for his game like Frank

Just curious... do you have a link to that video? It's intriguing because if it leads people to believe that he is a stretch 4 type of player... I think they are misguided.

This guy is more of a bruiser inside. In the games I've seen, he hasn't even eyeballed a shot too far outside of the lane.

It's whatever link that went to his profile. Not sure which one exactly but it is his summer video where he is playing at waves shell rock. He hits a ton of threes, which for a 6'9 hs kid is not bad.

Question:

Why does Yahoo have him with 20 offers, with some major offers, and 247 with only five and no other major offers, except maybe UNI if you consider them a major one?

I thought 247 was a reputable source, so who is more accurate?

And, let's face it, we need to know this because we all value our recruits based on what his other offers are.

The kid openly states that he grew up a Hawk fan and always wanted to be a Hawk. Much like Gessel and Woody. It's nice that Fran is getting the kids whose dads are huge hawk fans, but the challenge lies in landing 4 star out of state talent away from other schools. We have had offers out to some studs for quite a while...and this offer to an Iowa kid shows me that Fran doesn't think he can seal the deal with the guys he really wanted.

The kid is tall, thick, and can hit the 3. So I think he's got major potential. It is just disappointing to hear that we offered a sure thing despite having a bunch of outstanding offers out to out of staters who I thought we had a good shot at.

The kid openly states that he grew up a Hawk fan and always wanted to be a Hawk. Much like Gessel and Woody. It's nice that Fran is getting the kids whose dads are huge hawk fans, but the challenge lies in landing 4 star out of state talent away from other schools. We have had offers out to some studs for quite a while...and this offer to an Iowa kid shows me that Fran doesn't think he can seal the deal with the guys he really wanted.

The kid is tall, thick, and can hit the 3. So I think he's got major potential. It is just disappointing to hear that we offered a sure thing despite having a bunch of outstanding offers out to out of staters who I thought we had a good shot at.
Riddle me this Batman, if Kriener was such a sure thing that Fran knew he could get a commitment from right away, why would he offer him so early. Fran could've easily done what he did with Williams and told him to wait and work for the offer while Fran would pursue others like Cook. Doesn't it say a lot that Fran immediately recognized that this is someone that he had to have right away.

And no, this doesn't effect any other recruits. There are still spots left at the 1, 4, and 5 left and no high ranking recruit is going to look at a no star from some town in Iowa thinking, on the surface, that they cannot get playing time.

If Wisconsin and North Carolina and other schools are starting to sniff around an instate kid and you know the kid is good enough to play at Iowa, why wouldn't you offer?

Iowalaw acts like the majority of our best talent always stay home. That's not true.... in fact, it's pretty much the exact opposite over the last 15+ years. Kinda hard to start stealing other states best kids if you can't even lock down your own.

Last edited:
I am not down on the kid, but let's be a little objective here. How does Missouri constitute a solid offer? Weren't they 9-23 last year? Last place in their conference? Wichita State and UNI are in the Missouri Valley. Are you kidding me? Winning a recruiting battle over them, given our Big 10 status and HUGE money, is a recruiting win? Come on.

I just wish we would have held out a little longer and put up a fight for the 4 stars before we settle for Missouri Valley type recruits who grew up hawk fans and would have come here even if we offered in 6 months. Now that we have him, though, I hope he blows up and becomes a major recruit. His high school season won't show much, as his competition in his small school Iowa conference will put him up against kids that are 8 inches shorter than him.

I like the signing. He was picking up a lot of interest and had some pretty solid offers including Minnesota, Wichita State, UNI, and Missouri. We really needed someone who can play down low and it looks like he can do just that.

I am not down on the kid, but let's be a little objective here. How does Missouri constitute a solid offer? Weren't they 9-23 last year? Last place in their conference? Wichita State and UNI are in the Missouri Valley. Are you kidding me? Winning a recruiting battle over them, given our Big 10 status and HUGE money, is a recruiting win? Come on.

I just wish we would have held out a little longer and put up a fight for the 4 stars before we settle for Missouri Valley type recruits who grew up hawk fans and would have come here even if we offered in 6 months. Now that we have him, though, I hope he blows up and becomes a major recruit. His high school season won't show much, as his competition in his small school Iowa conference will put him up against kids that are 8 inches shorter than him.

I'm sure Fran knew that he wanted to be a hawkeye and there was no rush in offering him until other major colleges started to offer and show interest. The coaching staff probably didn't want to damper other big recruits enthusiasm for having commitments from a six foot eight guy and and six foot nine guy that both weigh around 240 pounds. Kriener had a broken nose his junior year of high school so Iowa probably also wanted to see how he came along. With the coaches relationship with him there probably was no rush until other high majors started in on him. He looks like he will be a great player for Iowa after a year or two of coaching and weight work. Iowa probably wants to sign another big guy besides Pemsl and Kriener this fall. I read somewhere that they were going to sign four big guys and a point guard for 2016, but you can read all kind of things.

I'm not disappointed. Fran wanted him and Fran got him. I have more confidence in Fran's ability to evaluate talent than yours...or any other poster on this site. His track record is pretty solid IMO.

For all we know, after watching him this month, Fran thinks he is better than the 4 stars he already offered.

Many times it's a guessing game. Sometimes you get it right and sometimes you don't. Look at Wisconsin's BIG stud that just finished his college career. His freshman and sophomore years were yawners and then he blew up and seemed to come out of no where.

Latest posts