2016 PF Ryan Kriener Commits

Welcome aboard! I like his game and he's no string bean at 6'9 240. Will be nice to have a big who is able to hold is own in the post. Get him in a college weight program and he's only going to get stronger. Looks like he has a nice shooting touch too.

DB's on Twitter already calling this a fall back commit, but I don't see it that way. Bigger schools were starting to sniff and Iowa offered. I personally don't think getting Kreiner and Bohannon instead of Cook and Moore is THAT bad of thing but others are gonna tell you its the end of the world.

TJ Rushing ‏@TjRushing 30m30 minutes ago Des Moines, IA
Kriener's dad emailed me in June to tell me @4theTRIBE had gone 10-13 from 3 that day at a camp - #Hawkeyes getting a skilled & complete big

Kriener's commitment leaves the Hawkeyes with our #1 (Cordell Pemsl) and #2 (Kriener) in-state players in 2016. @4theTRIBE

Awesome. The traditional 5 man is going to be a dinosaur pretty soon.. His AAU coach compared his game to Nick Collison...Hyperbole perhaps at this point but if he's half that with a good team around him he'll be a perfect fit.

Fran is getting a crapload of his 6' 9" athletic guys that can play in transition & most with a jump shot. I swear Fran would take a whole team of these guys instead of the prototypical Big center or smaller point guard. Hard to guard but they are long so guard opponents well. Fran has accelerated the Iowa program fairly fast. Fun to watch.

Last edited:
I like the signing. He was picking up a lot of interest and had some pretty solid offers including Minnesota, Wichita State, UNI, and Missouri. We really needed someone who can play down low and it looks like he can do just that.

Excellent news. If we can get the top 2 recruits in the state every year the rest are icing on the cake.

Awesome. The traditional 5 man is going to be a dinosaur pretty soon.. His AAU coach compared his game to Nick Collison...Hyperbole perhaps at this point but if he's half that with a good team around him he'll be a perfect fit.

If you go watch his vids, you can see the comparison. RK needs to work on his foot speed and lateral quickness, but this kid will be a player, in my opinion.

DB's on Twitter already calling this a fall back commit, but I don't see it that way. Bigger schools were starting to sniff and Iowa offered. I personally don't think getting Kreiner and Bohannon instead of Cook and Moore is THAT bad of thing but others are gonna tell you its the end of the world.

Bohannon? And I thought we have 4 scholly's for '16? I think we need Moore, though.

TJ Rushing ‏@TjRushing 30m30 minutes ago Des Moines, IA
Kriener's dad emailed me in June to tell me @4theTRIBE had gone 10-13 from 3 that day at a camp - #Hawkeyes getting a skilled & complete big

Kriener's commitment leaves the Hawkeyes with our #1 (Cordell Pemsl) and #2 (Kriener) in-state players in 2016. @4theTRIBE

The state of Iowa does have a history of getting some of their top-top hoopsters into the NBA: Hansen, Hoiberg, LaFrenz, Collison, Heinrich, Korver, Barnes, Ricky Davis and I'm sure plenty more that I'm missing. Fran is locking down the state and the odds are that NBA talent will, again, start the trek through Iowa City.

Excellent point on getting the top 2 guys. Does this mean they're NBA bound? No, but it does indicate that they should be talented.

I like the signing. He was picking up a lot of interest and had some pretty solid offers including Minnesota, Wichita State, UNI, and Missouri. We really needed someone who can play down low and it looks like he can do just that.

Missouri is not a solid offer at this point in their program's history. But I know what you mean.

It is laughable that someone on this board thinks there isn't much difference between a pretty good 4/5 with either Moore or whoever the next Bohannon brother is. Moore is ranked #1 in Illinois and Bohannon is probably not #1 in his own family. I am pretty sure he wouldn't be in the top 20 or maybe even top 30, 40 or 50 in Illinois.

There MAY be a spot for him on this team. But he is not interchangeable on this roster with a top notch point guard. It isn't like we can either get that PG or Bohannon. We need the PG. We can probably get by without Bohannon. This isn't meant to dis Bohannon. Just stating facts.

Last edited:
I've seen this young man play a handful of times and I'm kind of middle of the road in not overly excited but not too disappointed either.

He works hard and runs the floor well for s big but fairly grounded and I haven't seen much of a jump shot. Post game is pretty solid.

Latest posts