2016 Iowa Hawkeye Football

Iowa needs to drop Silo Tech. The Hawks need their two MAC games & need to pick up a Power Five team better than Moo U. Nine B1G games plus Arizona, Pittsburgh etc. would be excellent.

ISU is one of the worst P5 teams, why not instead drop one of the directional schools and add a decent P5 team? Especially when the cross-overs don't include OSU or msu.

ISU is one of the worst P5 teams, why not instead drop one of the directional schools and add a decent P5 team? Especially when the cross-overs don't include OSU or msu.
Agree. Since the little 12 has to schedule a power 5 ooc game we just raised the clown sos and all we get in return is a weak ooc game. Sure wish we could get rid of the clowns.

I'll go ahead and pick Jerminic Smith and Miles Taylor as breakout stars for us.

Miles Taylor has really impressed me..The speed he fills holes..bad attitude when he arrives..Phil Parker said he's a violent football player..closest I've seen to the return of Bob Sanders..and think Joshua Jackson arrives on scene next year as next star in DBackfield

My only concern for 2016 is yet another subpar nonconference schedule. Miami (OH) and NDSU? Really?

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE NDSU.... I am not kidding. We have no business playing them anyway. Why don't we schedule a Colorado, West Virginia, Boise State or teams like this?
I would pay for games with more flavor.

Maybe, but Iowa has seen its share of QB's that had disappointing senior seasons after decent junior years.

James Vandenberg probably the most extreme example going from pretty decent as Junior to absolutely awful as a Senior.

Stanzi was interesting because his stats got better as a senior but the team got worse.

Tate played hurt as a senior and it clearly affected his performance.

Even Rudock's stats got better as a junior but his team got worse.

We might see something simlar with CJB. Hope I am wrong and CJB wins the Heisman.

Don't think any of those situations are going to be with us in 2016. James V had problems with a mediocre team and a whole new offensive philosophy. Rick benefited his junior year because a stellar defense over came his int's. And he had a offense that rallied when they needed too. I don't think CJB will be hampered by any of these things. But these are college "kids" and we will see how this success plays into their heads.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE NDSU.... I am not kidding. We have no business playing them anyway. Why don't we schedule a Colorado, West Virginia, Boise State or teams like this?
I would pay for games with more flavor.

I don't know any teams that play 11 P5 teams in the regular season. Since we have 9 conference games now, and a game vs ISU, we won't be scheduling another P5 team as we would have to play a home and home, and that would put us at 6 home game, and that ain't happening.

Two comments:

If Ott is granted his redshirt, it doesn't necessarily mean he will dominate as he had. He'd be 11 months or so away from the ACL and, outside of Adrian Peterson, athletes don't dominate the first year back from that.

The expectations will be high and, as we know, when expectations are high, Kirk's teams tend to underperform (and vice versa a la this year). Kirk will have to figure out the psychology of this trend to not disappoint the fanbase.

Miles Taylor has really impressed me..The speed he fills holes..bad attitude when he arrives..Phil Parker said he's a violent football player..closest I've seen to the return of Bob Sanders..and think Joshua Jackson arrives on scene next year as next star in DBackfield

I liked both Taylor and Lomax this year, but honestly they cost us in the 2nd half and final drive against MSU. They both kept going for kill shots against the RB, and the RB took their hits and fell forward for another 3-4 yards every time. Their lack of wrapping up kept some drives alive.

I don't know how many times I saw those two players bounce off of Scott in the backfield.

But, overall they were definitely better upgrades than the year before (tough to see Lomax go, as he really improved)

Two comments:

If Ott is granted his redshirt, it doesn't necessarily mean he will dominate as he had. He'd be 11 months or so away from the ACL and, outside of Adrian Peterson, athletes don't dominate the first year back from that.

The expectations will be high and, as we know, when expectations are high, Kirk's teams tend to underperform (and vice versa a la this year). Kirk will have to figure out the psychology of this trend to not disappoint the fanbase.

The key phrase here is Kirk's teams. It's a team thing. If CJ continues to show leadership, and they continue to have team meetings during the off season, we should be o.k. Last winter they were running passing patterns. Outside of the football facility. I'm guessing some NCAA reg about non sanctioned team meetings.

The coaches can only do so much. A lot of this is on upperclassmen's leadership and the players.

I don't know any teams that play 11 P5 teams in the regular season. Since we have 9 conference games now, and a game vs ISU, we won't be scheduling another P5 team as we would have to play a home and home, and that would put us at 6 home game, and that ain't happening.

Stanford and USC usually play 11 P5 teams.

In 2016, USC plays Bama and ND plus 9 conference games.

USC typically puts other team to shame with the way they schedule.