2016 Iowa Hawkeye Football

True, but...

#1--those games are early, and
#2--at least we traded in MD and Indy for PSU and UM.

The best thing about next season is our home schedule:
ISU
Wisc.
Michigan
Nebraska
Northwestern

Hopefully all sell outs.

I will take Penn State on the road as far as the toughest road game. They are decent but nothing more than a name these days.

True, but...

#1--those games are early, and
#2--at least we traded in MD and Indy for PSU and UM.

Well really with the extra conference game it is like Iowa traded:
Pitt for PSU
MD for Rut
Indy for Mich
N Tex for Miami-Oh
NDSU for ILL St

Indy for Mich is the only real upgrade, otherwise the overall schedule is about the same as 2015.

Its the 2017 schedule that is going to suck.

The Hawks again get a break in the schedule. Iowa's crossover games are Michigan, Penn State & Rutgers. In contrast, Wisconsin gets, Michigan, Michigan State & Ohio State.

I like this kind of cross-over schedule. 2 big dogs and 1 little dog. I would like to see that type of rotation every year.

Wisc has it rough in 2016 but Iowa will get its turn in 2017. Iowa gets PSU, MSU and OSU in 2017.

I did a fast look at next year's starting lineup, and they could have players start at every position but TE and fullback who started at least 1 game as a Hawkeye. Even Drake Kulick got experience, and carries this year. At TE Kittle got a lot of experience this year too. So experience at every position! That is far more than what could have been said for 2005 (dline), 2010 (linebackers).

Here we go:

QB CJB
RB L. Daniels
FB Kulick
WR Vandeberg
WR J. Smith
TE Kittle
OL Myers
OL Welsh
OL J.Daniels
OL Ike B.
OL Croston

DE Ott
DT Johnson
DT Bazata
DE Hesse
LB Niemann
LB Jewell
LB Bower
CB King
S Gair
S Taylor
CB Mabin

That is a strong lineup!

I did a fast look at next year's starting lineup, and they could have players start at every position but TE and fullback who started at least 1 game as a Hawkeye. Even Drake Kulick got experience, and carries this year. At TE Kittle got a lot of experience this year too. So experience at every position! That is far more than what could have been said for 2005 (dline), 2010 (linebackers).

Here we go:

QB CJB
RB L. Daniels
FB Kulick
WR Vandeberg
WR J. Smith
TE Kittle
OL Myers
OL Welsh
OL J.Daniels
OL Ike B.
OL Croston

DE Ott
DT Johnson
DT Bazata
DE Hesse
LB Niemann
LB Jewell
LB Bower
CB King
S Gair
S Taylor
CB Mabin

That is a strong lineup!

There is a player that I didn't notice being mentioned in this entire thread, and he may take over HKC's role. Outsey is likely our 1b option at TE along with Kittle next year.

I'm expecting CJ to be really good, even better, with one season of starts under his belt. Maybe he'll have a breakout Heisman type season starting with Stanford, like Chuck Long did with Texas. Wadley might breakout to. I think we'll be really good on offense.

Throw the Iowa State game into the fire. I'm tired of having to watch that stupid team every year.

I'm expecting CJ to be really good, even better, with one season of starts under his belt. Maybe he'll have a breakout Heisman type season starting with Stanford, like Chuck Long did with Texas. Wadley might breakout to. I think we'll be really good on offense.

Maybe, but Iowa has seen its share of QB's that had disappointing senior seasons after decent junior years.

James Vandenberg probably the most extreme example going from pretty decent as Junior to absolutely awful as a Senior.

Stanzi was interesting because his stats got better as a senior but the team got worse.

Tate played hurt as a senior and it clearly affected his performance.

Even Rudock's stats got better as a junior but his team got worse.

We might see something simlar with CJB. Hope I am wrong and CJB wins the Heisman.

Maybe, but Iowa has seen its share of QB's that had disappointing senior seasons after decent junior years.

James Vandenberg probably the most extreme example going from pretty decent as Junior to absolutely awful as a Senior.

Stanzi was interesting because his stats got better as a senior but the team got worse.

We might see something simlar with CJB. Hope I am wrong and CJB wins the Heisman.

The difference I think is none of those guys have the football pedigree of CJ. CJ's uncle Pete Beathard played QB at USC and the NFL. His grandfather was a GM in the NFL. I think I heard CJ has another family member, besides Pete, that played in the Rose Bowl. Your list though makes me think we need a dedicated QB coach.

It was not Tate or Stanzi's fault that because of graduation the teams around them got worse. Tate had play with the absolute worst group of receivers I've ever seen in an Iowa uniform and that 2010 Iowa offense was actually pretty good, it was the other side of the ball that let the team down.

So I suppose if King goes pro and Ott doesn't get an extra year you'll be right that the "senior year curse" will strike Beathard too, and it won't have anything to do with how well CJ actually plays.

You omitted Jewell at LB, as well.
Outlaw = Jewell - As in "The Outlaw Josey Wales". Rumor has it that's who he's named after.

Edit: Looking at the 2016 schedule, the big test, IMO, will be at Penn St. Having Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nebraska at home will be a HUGE help.

GO HAWKS!!!

Last edited:
I might be worrying too much about details but the graduation of those two stellar fullbacks has me more concerned about our offense than anything. Pretty much every breakaway TD run we got this year began with a soul crushing block by one of those guys. I hope we have someone waiting in the wings who CRAVES contact!

Well really with the extra conference game it is like Iowa traded:
Pitt for PSU
MD for Rut
Indy for Mich
N Tex for Miami-Oh
NDSU for ILL St

Indy for Mich is the only real upgrade, otherwise the overall schedule is about the same as 2015.

Its the 2017 schedule that is going to suck.

NDSU = Ill St
Miami-Oh >>> N. Texas
We play @ PSU >>> Pitt at home
MD = Rut (even playing @ Rut)
Mich >>> Indy

Guess I see three wins and two draws.

I think we'll be in pretty good shape as long as we hold serve. We will be favored in most of these games. We backslide though and this year will have done nothing for our national perspective.

James Vandenberg probably the most extreme example going from pretty decent as Junior to absolutely awful as a Senior. New OC who brought in a system Vandy was a very bad fit for, and he also lost McNutt

Only two of those guys were worse as seniors, and both had pretty significant mitigating circumstances going against them (injury, new offense/no receivers).

Latest posts