2016 Iowa Hawkeye Football

Briggs32

After an amazing year this year, with a Rose Bowl victory still to come, I thought I'd share a few thoughts about this year and next.

I fully expected to go 7-5 or even 6-6 this year with the possibility of a new coach for the 2016 season. I couldn't be more happy to be wrong and couldn't be more proud of Kirk and the job he did. The resiliency of this team culminated in the stomping of NW in Evanston. CJ was hurt, Daniels, Duzey, Boone, Ike and Ott were all ou and Canzeri got hurt and we still took Northwestern to the woodshed. There was no bigger injury than Drew Ott's this year. With Ott, out pass rush was decent but fell to the depths of non-existent after he went down needing to get creative to manufacture a pass rush. The lack of a pass rush was our biggest deficiency all year, and the problem was magnified after Ott's injury. We have a solid foundation for next year to defend out B1g West crown and attempt for a B1G title. as well as a lot of experience to fill the voids left after this year.

2016:

QB:
Beathard. We know what he have here. A gritty, talented quarterback who can make plays and go out and win us a ball game.

RB:
Plenty of talent coming back with Caneri departing. Barring injuries, we have a nice power speed combo of Daniels and Wadley and Mitchell back as a nice 3rd down back.

WR/TE:
Perhaps the position that losses the most talent/experience. HKC, Duzey(Even though he didn't record a catch), Smith and Hillyer. Smith as a downfield option hurts and Hillyer was more known for his blocking. HKC was a nice all around TE with a knack for making big catches. We still have Vandeberg, McCarron, Smith and Kittle coming back. I'm pretty excited to see what Jon Wisniewski can do. I except him to take over the in-line TE role help by HKC/Duzey these last 2 years.

OL:
Perhaps the 2nd brightest spot going into the offseason is the development and growth of our returning linemen behind our QB. While the loses of Blythe and Walsh are big, We return a lot of experience with starts and it will be interesting to see how the line plays out next year. Does Boettger slide into G and Daniels slide to C? Does Daniels stay at guard and we look to a new C? Who wins out at RT, Boettger or Croston? The running game might have potential to be better than it was this year that averaged 200 yards a game.

DL:
We have 2 solid DTs back and Parker Hesse's experince will bay dividends for next year. He just needs to put on some more weight to endure a full season in the B1G. Meier is a big loss and Ott was a huge loss this season. I'm excited to see what Matt Nelson can do and if Ott gets granted a 6th year, look out.

LB:
Should be even better. Josey Jewell has emerged into stardom and Niemann was nothing but solid all year. Another year, another senior big time performance in his final chance to play. Fisher had a great year but his loss will be much offset by having Bower step in. He started most of last year and played well in fill in time this year.

DB:
I hope King fulfills his words of completing his degree before he leaves. If he returns, this D has a chance to be great, even if Ott doesn't get a 6th year. Mabin has had his ups and downs, but I expect a good senior year before he heads off to the NFL. Miles Taylor was solid in his first year as a starter as a true sophomore and looks the part of one of Ferentz's better safeties over the years.

2016 Outlook:
I expect this team to be Top 20 to begin the year with more disrespect as we have all come to expect. If King and Ott return, this D will be elite and could end up being one of the best Ferentz has ever had. If he can find a downfield playmaker or two, our O shouldn't be too far behind. For the first time since pre-2010, I think high levels of optimism going into the season are both expected and deserved by this team.

The Hawks again get a break in the schedule. Iowa's crossover games are Michigan, Penn State & Rutgers. In contrast, Wisconsin gets, Michigan, Michigan State & Ohio State.

The Hawks again get a break in the schedule. Iowa's crossover games are Michigan, Penn State & Rutgers. In contrast, Wisconsin gets, Michigan, Michigan State & Ohio State.

Wisconsin had the easiest schedule by far in the B1G West this year. Iowa and Northwestern at home with crossovers Rutger and Maryland. They deserve to have a tougher schedule in '16.

I wouldn't consider getting Michigan and Penn st. as a "break", but I know what you are saying, it is easier than Wisconsin.

Wisconsin had the easiest schedule by far in the B1G West this year. Iowa and Northwestern at home with crossovers Rutger and Maryland. They deserve to have a tougher schedule in '16.

I wouldn't consider getting Michigan and Penn st. as a "break", but I know what you are saying, it is easier than Wisconsin.

Nebraska & Northwestern also get the Bucks. In an interesting early season game, the Buckeyes travel to Norman to play the Sooners.

Nebraska & Northwestern also get the Bucks. In an interesting early season game, the Buckeyes travel to Norman to play the Sooners.

Nebraska has Oregon, @jNW, @Wicsoncin, @OSU, @Iowa.....

jNW is @Iowa, @MSU, @OSU

Man the B1G is gonna get PAID renegotiating their TV contracts with so many good crossover games.

With CJ's record as a starter and as much as everyone talks about his leadership.... I feel like we'll be in a good spot. College fball is all about the QB. If he has the surgery and is more mobile next year which he'll probably need to make more plays himself because as the OP mentions, we will lose some in WR. Hopefuly J. Smith can step up in the loss of T Smith. J. Smith showed some flashes this year.

With that said, I think the D could be nasty if we get Ott back. I can't imagine that DL with those LBs behind them. I think it might be our best front 7 ever under Kirk.

I think CJ has great room for improvement next year. He has missed a lot of throws over these last few games, possibly injury related. He also needs to speed up his reads. With all of the great things he has shown this year, I think I am most excited about the possibility that he is significantly better next year.

I think the 2 interior OL are going to be the toughest losses to handle. I could see the running game being less effective next year, although hopefully the pass-pro will be better with more experience at the tackles. Overall, I could really see the offense lean much more heavily on CJ's arm next year, even with the loss of some good targets.

I think CJ has great room for improvement next year. He has missed a lot of throws over these last few games, possibly injury related. He also needs to speed up his reads. With all of the great things he has shown this year, I think I am most excited about the possibility that he is significantly better next year.

I think the 2 interior OL are going to be the toughest losses to handle. I could see the running game being less effective next year, although hopefully the pass-pro will be better with more experience at the tackles. Overall, I could really see the offense lean much more heavily on CJ's arm next year, even with the loss of some good targets.

I think the OL will be fine. Last year we lost the Outland trophy winner and another NFL draft picks and we replaced them with 2 walkons and another lightly recruited player. We can slide with Myers/Ike/Croston inside and Daniels will take the other spot. Been hearing really good things about the younger linemen as well. Our OL is in great condition.

I think Iowa will be a top 20 team next year but they won't reach the heights that this years Iowa team did unless both Ott and King return which is unlikely.

We should be in the mix for sure. Senior qb that may have his best year ahead of him. O line returning both tackles who will now have a year starting under their belts, other starters of Croston and Welsh, along with Daniels and a host of younger guys all fighting for time (render, Paulsen twins, etc). The line will be deep and experienced. Three rb's with lots of experience, two of three with games of 100 plus rushing. Kittle back at tight end along with outsey and wiznooski (spelling) as a contender for the tight end blocking back. Go to proven receiver in vandenberg. Will need two more receivers to step up amongst neek, falconer, scheel, Ogwo, Andre Harris. If one or two can step up we will be good to go.

On D, we have a strong middle back in JaKill, bazata, faith. I'm hopeful for Matt Nelson at 6'8 280. Maybe Hesse steps up, maybe someone like Terrance Harris or slater. D end is the one area on D that could be our weakness. Linebacker we are solid with Jewell and Nieman and will have about five players competing for the third spot (bower, mends, hockaday, jinning, Garbutt, and newcomers). D backs are solid with King (if he returns), mabin, Taylor, Fleming, Jackson, Gair, Snyder, etc.

i think were solid for sure. But.... Sounds similar to coming off our 2009 season going into 2010. Expectations...

If King comes back and Ott gets a waiver, this defense will be STACKED!
- DL = Bazata, Johnson, Faith, (Ott) look for Reiff or one of those giant (6'7, 6'8) Nelsons to make a move and be the next "Calhoun". Incoming Lattimore will get some reps.
- LB = Hesse, Outlaw, Bower, Neiman
- DB = King (Oh please, please, pretty please! Come back; get your degree; break the record, win another Thorpe and be under Heisman consideration) Fleming, Mabin, Taylor. Without King, this unit will be very average.

The offense is potentially just as impressive:
- OL = Myers (dude oughta have a chip after getting ragdolled by Calhoun) Daniels, Welsh, Croston, Boettger and Ferentz(?) at Center.
- QB = CJ Beathard (will be on the Heisman watch list)
- RB = Daniels, Wadley, DMx
- FB = ??? (Prolly the biggest loss on the offense; Cox / Plewa were beasts in the run game!)
- TE = Kittle, newbie - Hockenson (CJ to TJ, anyone?), Peter Pekar picked a peck of passes.
- WR = VandeBerg, J Smith, Parker, (Some unknown has to have a breakout year to raise this group above "possession")
- P, PK, K ??? as much positive impact as the kicking game had this year, could be as much negative, next year.

With as so much experience and talent returning, Iowa needs to have it's sights set on getting back to Indy. If King stays and Ott gets another, if the kicking game is adequate, if another WR steps forward, they need to be shooting for the playoffs.

Defense, goes without saying, if King and Ott are there, Iowa's D will be at a championship level. A shutdown corner in King, Mabin not far behind. Pressure from Ott! Solid D line. Solid LB's. Without those two, Iowa's D is still good.
Offense, with all the subs playing this year and doing such a good job. Going to be a good year.

Overall I would look for Iowa to be in contention for the West.

Nebraska has Oregon, @jNW, @Wicsoncin, @OSU, @Iowa.....

jNW is @Iowa, @MSU, @OSU

Man the B1G is gonna get PAID renegotiating their TV contracts with so many good crossover games.

Iowa needs to drop Silo Tech. The Hawks need their two MAC games & need to pick up a Power Five team better than Moo U. Nine B1G games plus Arizona, Pittsburgh etc. would be excellent.

After an amazing year this year, with a Rose Bowl victory still to come, I thought I'd share a few thoughts about this year and next.

I fully expected to go 7-5 or even 6-6 this year with the possibility of a new coach for the 2016 season. I couldn't be more happy to be wrong and couldn't be more proud of Kirk and the job he did. The resiliency of this team culminated in the stomping of NW in Evanston. CJ was hurt, Daniels, Duzey, Boone, Ike and Ott were all ou and Canzeri got hurt and we still took Northwestern to the woodshed. There was no bigger injury than Drew Ott's this year. With Ott, out pass rush was decent but fell to the depths of non-existent after he went down needing to get creative to manufacture a pass rush. The lack of a pass rush was our biggest deficiency all year, and the problem was magnified after Ott's injury. We have a solid foundation for next year to defend out B1g West crown and attempt for a B1G title. as well as a lot of experience to fill the voids left after this year.

2016:

QB:
Beathard. We know what he have here. A gritty, talented quarterback who can make plays and go out and win us a ball game.

RB:
Plenty of talent coming back with Caneri departing. Barring injuries, we have a nice power speed combo of Daniels and Wadley and Mitchell back as a nice 3rd down back.

WR/TE:
Perhaps the position that losses the most talent/experience. HKC, Duzey(Even though he didn't record a catch), Smith and Hillyer. Smith as a downfield option hurts and Hillyer was more known for his blocking. HKC was a nice all around TE with a knack for making big catches. We still have Vandeberg, McCarron, Smith and Kittle coming back. I'm pretty excited to see what Jon Wisniewski can do. I except him to take over the in-line TE role help by HKC/Duzey these last 2 years.

OL:
Perhaps the 2nd brightest spot going into the offseason is the development and growth of our returning linemen behind our QB. While the loses of Blythe and Walsh are big, We return a lot of experience with starts and it will be interesting to see how the line plays out next year. Does Boettger slide into G and Daniels slide to C? Does Daniels stay at guard and we look to a new C? Who wins out at RT, Boettger or Croston? The running game might have potential to be better than it was this year that averaged 200 yards a game.

DL:
We have 2 solid DTs back and Parker Hesse's experince will bay dividends for next year. He just needs to put on some more weight to endure a full season in the B1G. Meier is a big loss and Ott was a huge loss this season. I'm excited to see what Matt Nelson can do and if Ott gets granted a 6th year, look out.

LB:
Should be even better. Josey Jewell has emerged into stardom and Niemann was nothing but solid all year. Another year, another senior big time performance in his final chance to play. Fisher had a great year but his loss will be much offset by having Bower step in. He started most of last year and played well in fill in time this year.

DB:
I hope King fulfills his words of completing his degree before he leaves. If he returns, this D has a chance to be great, even if Ott doesn't get a 6th year. Mabin has had his ups and downs, but I expect a good senior year before he heads off to the NFL. Miles Taylor was solid in his first year as a starter as a true sophomore and looks the part of one of Ferentz's better safeties over the years.

2016 Outlook:
I expect this team to be Top 20 to begin the year with more disrespect as we have all come to expect. If King and Ott return, this D will be elite and could end up being one of the best Ferentz has ever had. If he can find a downfield playmaker or two, our O shouldn't be too far behind. For the first time since pre-2010, I think high levels of optimism going into the season are both expected and deserved by this team.

That is a great summary of what to look forward to next year. That being said, not to take a page out of Sparty's "little brother mentality" playbook but de facto doing so, next year's theme for the team should be "Unfinished Business"

If King comes back and Ott gets a waiver, this defense will be STACKED!
- DL = Bazata, Johnson, Faith, (Ott) look for Reiff or one of those giant (6'7, 6'8) Nelsons to make a move and be the next "Calhoun". Incoming Lattimore will get some reps.
- LB = Hesse, Outlaw, Bower, Neiman
- DB = King (Oh please, please, pretty please! Come back; get your degree; break the record, win another Thorpe and be under Heisman consideration) Fleming, Mabin, Taylor. Without King, this unit will be very average.

The offense is potentially just as impressive:
- OL = Myers (dude oughta have a chip after getting ragdolled by Calhoun) Daniels, Welsh, Croston, Boettger and Ferentz(?) at Center.
- QB = CJ Beathard (will be on the Heisman watch list)
- RB = Daniels, Wadley, DMx
- FB = ??? (Prolly the biggest loss on the offense; Cox / Plewa were beasts in the run game!)
- TE = Kittle, newbie - Hockenson (CJ to TJ, anyone?), Peter Pekar picked a peck of passes.
- WR = VandeBerg, J Smith, Parker, (Some unknown has to have a breakout year to raise this group above "possession")
- P, PK, K ??? as much positive impact as the kicking game had this year, could be as much negative, next year.

With as so much experience and talent returning, Iowa needs to have it's sights set on getting back to Indy. If King stays and Ott gets another, if the kicking game is adequate, if another WR steps forward, they need to be shooting for the playoffs.

You omitted Jewell at LB, as well.

Not to be that guy, but ott would be his 5th year not 6th. Drives me nuts when people say 6th. Sorry, my ocd kicked in.

My only concern for 2016 is yet another subpar nonconference schedule. Miami (OH) and NDSU? Really?