2016 Iowa football: Positives & Concerns

Things I want to see:
I want to see Brian Ferentz given the OC position. Done with Davis.
I want to see a WR that can stretch the field (but I know we wont)

Things I dont want to see:
Any offense that involves an empty backfield.
Any 2 yard throw to the wide side of the field.
More blitzing.

Why dont you want to see more blitzing, because it means the Dline is getting pressure.

Well, let's see here. While he was coach we saw a 3* recruit win the Outland Trophy. We also saw him develop one of the better running games this year with 2 walkon tackles, a true FR, a former High school QB/TE, and 2 guards in Walsh and Welch who had yet to live up to any expectations. Id say he has done a pretty bang up job turning around our running game.

That's why CJ was sacked 7 times just in this game alone.13 games into the season and we don't have good backups,Why aren't they better.How many times was CJ hit this year and Rudock last year.Yes running game was better however pass blocking was terrible.How good would our offense be if we could protect CJ.

Loved the season. it was a totally manageable schedule and they did just that.
Loved that the Hawks finally beat teams they should.

I'm not quoting stats but it sure seemed like other than jNW, the O struggled against the few decent defenses they did get.

I seen stats about the d fading late in season also.

A lot of young players saw the field this year. J. Smith, Hockaday, Falconer and Daniels all flashed talent and they have not even spent time in the weight room with Doyle. Croston, Myers, Boettgers, Outsey, Mends, Hesse, Jackson, Flemming, Nelson etc. all got significant playing time and showed skills. When guys play, it fast tracks their growth. I expect a healthy CJB to have a monster senior year. If Wadley can add some strength, he's ready to breakout. Where did Parker go? We need speed at the receiver position. Hawks will be better next year, but undefeated is dreaming.

Not really worried about the rose bowl outcome. Prior to that game, we played 13 very consistent games, and only lost one on a drive by the opponent that was highly unusual. I have to conclude that the Stanford game was the perfect storm for the Hawks. Its not like we have not seen this happen to other teams this year, teams that were very good.

Pay attention to the home schedule next year and hope that the Hawks can defend the home turf; if they do, they will have a very good season record.

Personnel: We have recruited a bunch of wide receiver types the last couple of years, hopefully not at the expense of some other positions. Now we need to see the results. Like most of you, I want to see a pass rush that is more effective...don't really care how, just get results. I like our running backs; I think the O line will be fine; TE never seems to be a problem; fullbacks come out of nowhere, it seems.

As always, we must hope that we don't get torn up by injuries to or first liners. We just cannot build the depth at Iowa that some of the big guys are able to rely on.

BIGGEST POSITIVES FOR 2016:
+C.J. Beatherd and Desmond King;
+Maybe THE most complete stable of returning RB's we've ever had in Daniels, Wadley and Mitchell;
+Five experienced O-linemen returning, and with another year under Chris Doyle, hopefully vastly improved;
+Matt Vandeberg and George Kittle, two of our better opportunities for all-conference, esp. at WR;
+Another VERY do-able schedule;
+Lots of returning experience on both the D-line and esp. our linebackers - critical for us to play at a high level defensively;

CONCERNS FOR 2016:
+The '2010 Factor' - if we simply start reading too many of our press clippings, we can have another season like that (mostly a) disaster;
+Who will replace Jim Reid? The more you learn about him, the more you realize he may be THE most devastating coaching loss to Iowa since we lost former O-line coach John O'Hara to a heart attack in the early '90's;
+"Iowa Under-Expectation Syndrome": After having a magical season in 2004 and winning a bowl with a magical finish, it felt like we had to "pay for" that season for the next five seasons. Will that happen after a magical 2015 season?
+Kicking game: Although I didn't feel like we got a "Sr. effort" out of either Koehn or Kidd, they were Sr's., and Koehn won the Pitt game with an amazing 57-yarder. Our teams are never special when our special teams are not special - and our new and underclassmen kickers have rarely (under Ferentz) been special. We need to find quality replacements and fast.

Latest posts