2014 Official Hawkeye Baseball Thread

Congrats to the Hawks as they take the series from Nebraska with a win today! Really like the resolve this team seems to be playing with. This was really a statement series for the Hawks as Nebby is usually one of the better teams in the conference. Should be a big confidence booster for the team.

We took the boys down for the game on Saturday. It was really cold, but the crowd was pretty decent. Unfortunately, we picked the game that Iowa lost and the kid on the Huskers that we wanted to see play, did not play because Iowa pitched a lefty!

Followed the game yesterday. Great win. This was the first time since 1998 that the Hawks have won their conference opening weekend series. Next up, to usually tough Ann Arbor and the Wolverines. Go Hawks!!

We took the boys down for the game on Saturday. It was really cold, but the crowd was pretty decent. Unfortunately, we picked the game that Iowa lost and the kid on the Huskers that we wanted to see play, did not play because Iowa pitched a lefty!

Followed the game yesterday. Great win. This was the first time since 1998 that the Hawks have won their conference opening weekend series. Next up, to usually tough Ann Arbor and the Wolverines. Go Hawks!!

I think they said around 500 for attendance either yesterday or Saturday, I don't remember which one. Not bad considering the temps.

Hawkeyes took Game 1 against Michigan last weekend, but then lost the Saturday/Sunday games. Up next, Iowa hosts B1G Favorite, Indiana, and Duane Banks field. Hopefully the weather will allow for big crowds to cheer on the Hawks this weekend!

they play @ Bradley tonight 6:30

The Hawkeyes enter the contest with a 15-9 overall and a 3-3 Big Ten record after dropping 2-of-3 game last weekend at Michigan. All three games were decided by two runs or less.

Bradley claimed the initial meeting March 26, downing the Hawkeyes, 7-0, at Banks Field. The Braves got eight shutout innings from sophomore right-hander Elliot Ashbeck, and the Bradley pitchers limited the Hawkeyes to six hits. The Braves led 1-0 heading into the eighth before scoring six runs to blow the game open.
Iowa will return to Big Ten play Friday, hosting No. 24/28 Indiana in the first of a three-game series at Banks Field.

Due to bad weather predicted for Friday, April 4th, the 3 game series with Indiana has been moved to Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

04/05/14

vs. Indiana *

Iowa City, Iowa

3:00 PM

04/06/14

vs. Indiana *

Iowa City, Iowa

2:00 PM

04/07/14

vs. Indiana

Iowa City, Iowa

1:00 PM

Even though they lost 2 of 3 to Mich it is good to see them competing with the upper tier teams. All close games.

Hawks are getting to see just how good a ranked team is this weekend. Indiana has brought their big bats with them to Iowa City. We went to yesterday's game. It looked like Indiana was taking batting practice and I was pitching. They were crushing the ball. Hopefully, the Hawks can salvage Game #3 this afternoon.

Hawks sweep 2 games from Kansas! Always fun to beat the Jayhawks for me, as I have a lot of KU Friends. Yes, those KU fans probably don't realize KU has a baseball team but at least it is something I have over them.

Dang, should have swept Northwestern. Friday's game, the Hawks were up 13-3 in the 7th, but lost 14-13. Can back to win both games of a double header on Saturday.

Dang, should have swept Northwestern. Friday's game, the Hawks were up 13-3 in the 7th, but lost 14-13. Can back to win both games of a double header on Saturday.

Yeah, how do you blow a 10 run lead to Northwestern? That is bad.

Hawks lose a tight game to Minny on Friday night, then come back and win both games on Saturday and Sunday, in come from behind fashion. This is the first series win over Minny since 2005. The team is alone in 5the 5th place in the B1G Standings.

Most people don't know what a great job this coach/manager is doing for the program. They are light years better than years past.

5th place might not sound great to some, but this is a vast improvement for the program and I am very pleased with it. We are very competitive and have shown we can play with the top teams in the conference and don't look outmatched.

The Iowa Baseball team appears to be back on track, they have already matched last years win total. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

The good thing to see is that the Hawks are at or near the top in many offensive categories. Heller worked very good with the UNI program and took them to the NCAA tournamnt. Hopefully, he can work the same magic with the Hawks. One thing that I have noticed is that he is going after the Iowa high school talent. Keep those kids in Iowa and playing ball. Go Hawks! I believe that the Hawks only have one more B1G weekend left on their schedule. Illinois May 9th through 11th.

Have an interesting story about the previous staff. Sometime around 2009/2010? A really good friend of mine had a nephew that was a very good pitcher in HS. His measurables was prototypical of a pitcher. 6'6" tall and has good velocity on his fastball (he was hitting low 90's in HS - this came from a scout's radar - They had a Giants scout watching and working with him) and good movement with his other stuff. At one time, Missouri was talking to him but never came through with an offer - Missouri is one of those baseball schools that can pretty much pick who they want. Anyway, this kid had scholarship offers from plenty small schools, but was really looking for a D-1. He had an injury (pitching arm) his HS junior year which made more of the more popular baseball schools shy away from him.

Knowing this, I got in touch with the Iowa baseball coach in charge of recruiting to see if they'd be interested in taking a look at this kid. His response was basically we're already full and didn't make any real attempt to get a hold of him. I figured with the state of the program, any lead would be appreciated especially with a kid that's being closely watched by the Giants, major schools showing interest and had that kind of velocity... it's no wonder the previous staff struggled. You just don't find many kids throwing in the low 90's in HS. Don't get me wrong I understand why a coach might be skeptical of some random call about a kid, but how many times have we heard a coach mention about a random call about an underlooked kid and ends up being a significant impact for a team.

Long story short... even though he ended up accepting a scholarship at a small school he received multiple looks from MLB teams (4?) last year (Jr. season). When I say looks, I mean teams asking him to do bullpen type sessions for them.... He went undrafted last year but with one more year remaining, his uncle felt pretty confident that he'd have good shot at being drafted after this season (Sr.). Unfortunately he hurt his arm last fall and had to undergo Tommy John surgery. They expect him to be back on the mound by next fall (medical redshirt). Will be interesting if he can get his stuff back... I think he'll be fine as Tommy John is almost a given for most long term pitchers now-a-days.

Latest posts