2014 Official Hawkeye Baseball Thread

bogeyman

As was suggested by SPGroth, in honor of our Iowa Hawkeye Baseball Team being 6-1 an updated season thread has been started. Someday when Jon gets the $ or isn't being a tightwad maybe he'll make a baseball link in the forums ;) For now, this is the thread for all Hawkeye Baseball Talk this year. The Heller era is off to a great start so show the boys some love!

Go Hawks!

I read elsewhere that this is their best start since 85 or something like that.

Yep, it is. Not bad considering their field is still covered in snow. Awfully hard to go play games when you haven't even stepped foot on a field and taken a groundball etc.

do they use the indoor football practice field for practice?

Yes they do, which helps a lot but still not the same as being on the field in live action. From my understanding back when Dahm was fired, there was an article about how they have to share this with track and of course football. So they have odd practice times sometimes and they also do not have an indoor hitting facility they can access at any time. Many things are lacking but supposedly Barta is fixing this and going to build a softball/baseball facility of some sort I think.

By the way, thanks to Jon Miller for mentioning the Hawk Baseball Team on his front page article today. He's warming up to this baseball stuff!

The 6 home runs this team has hit already is encouraging, they hit 2 all of last season. The first home game is supposed to be March 19th against Mount Mercy, with the weather projections what are the odds it gets played? That game is not a big deal to cancel but on the 21st Nebraska is coming in for a 3 game series.

Hawks now 9-1 folks! Best start since 1940! Team playing with confidence and never say die attitude. Came back from a 7-0 deficit yesterday and won.

After getting swept by last year's B12 Champion (K-State) last weekend, they battled back to split two with Georgetown and beat St. Joe's. Our boys are excited about this weekend's games with Nebraska. One of the Huskers performed pitching/hitting lessons with our 11 year old while he was in high school.

I was in Coralville on Saturday and did notice all the snow was pretty much gone, hopefully the stuff we got on Saturday night is gone already. I am seeing some chances for rain on Friday but Saturday and Sunday look clear.

Big weekend for the Hawk Baseball Team vs. Nebraska. This will give us a good idea of where they are at right now as Nebraska is solid. Weather will be tough as its going to be chilly. Hopefully a decent crowd shows up. I would love to get to a game but won't be able to.

HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN! Plate 2 in the 9th and win 2-1 in what sounds like a great pitchers dual. Walk off single in the bottom of the 9th wins it. So far this team has shown great ability to come from behind. Big confidence builder. I'm glad like 3 of us on this board notice the start their off too LOL

Yes they do, which helps a lot but still not the same as being on the field in live action. From my understanding back when Dahm was fired, there was an article about how they have to share this with track and of course football. So they have odd practice times sometimes and they also do not have an indoor hitting facility they can access at any time. Many things are lacking but supposedly Barta is fixing this and going to build a softball/baseball facility of some sort I think.

this is already being built on the west sports complex by the HOF, tennis, field hockey, and soccer fields. The outside is almost completed already.

HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN! Plate 2 in the 9th and win 2-1 in what sounds like a great pitchers dual. Walk off single in the bottom of the 9th wins it. So far this team has shown great ability to come from behind. Big confidence builder. I'm glad like 3 of us on this board notice the start their off too LOL

Followed the game on Twitter, along with NCAA wrestling and the basketball scores. We will be heading down today to brave the cold and catch Game #2 with Nebraska. Go Hawks!! Great win yesterday against a team that typically spends their time at the top of the B1G standings.

Followed the game on Twitter, along with NCAA wrestling and the basketball scores. We will be heading down today to brave the cold and catch Game #2 with Nebraska. Go Hawks!! Great win yesterday against a team that typically spends their time at the top of the B1G standings.

Bet it was cold out there today! Hawks went down 5-1, really wish they had another front end starter. Great to see Mathews do so well Friday, small town Iowa kid who had offers all over the country and chose to stay home and help the Hawks! Win the series tomorrow hopefully with another Iowa kid on the mound in Peyton.

Latest posts