2014 Off-season Basketball Thread

MeatMan

I still want to talk hoops, but don't want to get in a ******* match about Alford, the clones, or what McCabe tweeted. Can this be a place to talk hoops, why White should be a 4 instead of a 3, and if Fran will be able to turn the corner this year and nail a great recruiting class? I know that's asking for a lot.

Or, can this be a thread to post weird b-ball memes? I'm fine with either, just looking for a way to pass the time during this incredibly long off-season.

32819703.jpg

maybe someone can make some funnies? maybe?

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54843

I am with you man, what would you like to discuss?
Will Kyle Meyer get meaningful playing time next year?
Can Adam Woodbury not get blocked by the rim next year?
Will Peter Jok be an outright flippin' stud and blow up next year?
How many times will Gesell get blocked at the rim next year?
Heading into next season, who is Iowa's "best" player of the incompletes?

What else you got?

Will we have any leadership or just collapse again?
Will anyone redshirt?

I have an inkling that Fran is going to use the last scholly. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Can we pull out a few more wins? Will Fran ease up on the ref's? Who will step up and show some guts? I want to see more food deals at Carver.....hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, I don't care, but let's get this deal done.....:)

Will we have any leadership or just collapse again?
Will anyone redshirt?

I have an inkling that Fran is going to use the last scholly. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Iowa now has 3 scholly's to give with Meyer and Stokes leaving. I'm guessing he may fill 1 maybe 2 of them just don't see filling all 3, not this late in the year at least. Unless an absolute stud shows up on the doorstep.

Iowa now has 3 scholly's to give with Meyer and Stokes leaving. I'm guessing he may fill 1 maybe 2 of them just don't see filling all 3, not this late in the year at least. Unless an absolute stud shows up on the doorstep.

We have 11 scholarship players for next year:
SR: Olaseni, Ogs, and White
JR: Gesell, Woody, Clemmons, and Uthoff
So: Jok, Dickerson
FR: Ellingson, Uhl

That leaves 2 scholarships open, not 3.

You're right, it's only 2. 1 is for Dickerson who hasn't signed yet. Didn't read between the lines in the article on Hawk Central I guess. Thanks for correcting me.

I think the confusion stems from Stokes. Since he was listed as a senior, his scholarship was being counted as one of the schollies available. Really Meyers is the only additional scholly.

So yes .. we have 2 to give. I'd like to see them offer the Okwarabizie kid. He seems to be a project along the lines of an Olesani.

Just my 2¢

GO HAWKS!!!

Edit: Nevermind about Okwarabizie. He wouldn't be eligible anyway .. then again .. ..

Last edited:
Just to be clear, we have 5 scholarship players graduating/transferring, and 3 of them are filled (Uhl, Ellingson, Dickerson). So we have 2 that are unclaimed. I predict Fran will fill 1 of them and roll the other into 2015.

Honest question: Who will be the best player next year? Is Dickerson good enough to be that? Or is White ahead of him?

Honest question: Who will be the best player next year? Is Dickerson good enough to be that? Or is White ahead of him?

I dont think Dickerson is that good, Atwood might be. I expect huge improvements from both Woodbury and Jok going into next year.

Dickerson is not going to be one of the best players. Gesell (and I'm not even that high on Mike), White, Woody, and Uthoff will all be better than him, with Gabe and Josh both having a chance to be better than Trey.

Dickerson brings some much needed quickness, but that's about it.

I dont think Dickerson is that good, Atwood might be. I expect huge improvements from both Woodbury and Jok going into next year.
I saw the thread title about Dickerson being AA. I posted before I saw it was actually third team AA. I didn't even realize they went to third team for Juco. I think it is safe to say that White is our top returner strictly on past performances, but guys like Gesell, Uthoff, or JO could make a push with a good offseason.

Latest posts