2013 NCAA tournament bubble root against list

Ouch! FWIW, last year, every team that was 51 or better was selected to the tourney. Only one team outside of the top 51 was chosen as an at-large, and that was Virginia at #54. I really don't know how much winning 4 or 5 of our last 6 will influence our RPI, but I didn't like the looks of that when I saw it.

Also, according the the website listed below, the factors, other than RPI (87) that the selection committee uses are: RPI vs. top 50 (2-7), RPI vs. top 150 (5-8), and strength of schedule (133). Again, I don't know how much winning 4 or 5 of 6 will help, but our numbers need it.

NCAA selection 101

If Iowa's in, I don't know, like, the top 30 on Kenpom and miss because of ******* RPI, I will be really upset.

They beat ole Miss on a neutral court. They are definitely in the discussion, hopefully they will just lose a few more games and we can ignore them.

True. I didn't realize Ole Miss was 18-6. FWIW, Indiana St. is actually 15-9, because they played a non-D-1 school.

Last edited:
True. I didn't realize Ole Miss was 18-6. FWIW, Indiana St. is actually 15-9, because of a loss to a non-D-1 school.

But that doesn't effect RPI for some reason, which is all kinds of dumb.

EDIT: Indiana State didn't lose to a non d-1 team from what I see. That still wouldn't effect their RPI had they though so my comment stands.

But that doesn't effect RPI for some reason, which is all kinds of dumb.

EDIT: Indiana State didn't lose to a non d-1 team from what I see. That still wouldn't effect their RPI had they though so my comment stands.

I didn't look at their schedule, but when you go to espn.com's rpi page and click on a team, it gives you a breakdown of their resume and it says 15-9 vs. D1 and 1-0 vs. non-D1. I think Truman State is the non-D1 school they played, they beat them. I'll edit my above post. Didn't realize I put "loss".

While this is presented as fact I would like to clarify that it is nothing more than opinion.

Kelly, you have no clue either. Iowa is not going to make it w/o some major fuss which they haven't done. There is a certain amount of subjectivity to this. Being a fan doesn't change that.

Yes, the committee won't look at what the player did. They will look at how games went if they have several equally deserving teams. They will be looking for positives. Close losses won't count. Close wins against very bad teams will, but not in a positive way. If they they are on the bubble with 8 other teams, last night is a negative. A 12 point win on the road not so.

Still my point is that a 2 point win at PSU SHOWS in reality this team is not dance ready. It's simply fan speak. You totally showed your fan - aticism by taking what I said and making into something it is not. This team is not good enough to dance.

We will see where they are at at Nebby. Nebby has beaten the bottom feeders about like us. Many but not all their games are of similar scores.

A loss or another narrow win will show the lack of progress. Win convincingly and we have progress.

Whether or not Iowa is getting better has nothing to do with being Dance ready. They are better.

Kelly, you have no clue either. Iowa is not going to make it w/o some major fuss which they haven't done. There is a certain amount of subjectivity to this. Being a fan doesn't change that.

Yes, the committee won't look at what the player did. They will look at how games went if they have several equally deserving teams. They will be looking for positives. Close losses won't count. Close wins against very bad teams will, but not in a positive way. If they they are on the bubble with 8 other teams, last night is a negative. A 12 point win on the road not so.

Still my point is that a 2 point win at PSU SHOWS in reality this team is not dance ready. It's simply fan speak. You totally showed your fan - aticism by taking what I said and making into something it is not. This team is not good enough to dance.

We will see where they are at at Nebby. Nebby has beaten the bottom feeders about like us. Many but not all their games are of similar scores.

A loss or another narrow win will show the lack of progress. Win convincingly and we have progress.

Whether or not Iowa is getting better has nothing to do with being Dance ready. They are better.

By this logic Kansas isn't an NCAA tournament team either. They lost to a miserable TCU team. It happens. You can't look at one game and make this argument. And rightfully so the committee looks at the entire season.

Iowa's performances at Minnesota and Wisconsin and home to Indiana and Michigan State prove they are right on the cusp of a being an NCAA team.

I didn't look at their schedule, but when you go to espn.com's rpi page and click on a team, it gives you a breakdown of their resume and it says 15-9 vs. D1 and 1-0 vs. non-D1. I think Truman State is the non-D1 school they played, they beat them. I'll edit my above post. Didn't realize I put "loss".

The committee will not see games vs. non-D1. They also wont see conference record.

NCAA mock selection process held on 2/14-2/15 results (seeds) for B1G.

IU (1)
UM (1)
MSU (2)
UW (4)
ILL (5)
OSU (6)
MINN (6)

Maybe teams that we need to win to boost the RPI could be added to the original list though I suppose we could just look at our schedule and root for every team we have played/defeated.

Some experts are saying the MWC will get 6 teams to The Dance and I heard the MWC is rated #1 in some RPI polls. If the MWC sends 6 teams to the NCAAs, Iowa doesn't have a chance.

Maybe teams that we need to win to boost the RPI could be added to the original list though I suppose we could just look at our schedule and root for every team we have played/defeated.

Those games are more important than the bubble teams. Like I have said many times those games do not matter until Iowa gets on the bubble. Iowa State right now is moving Iowa the most, every time they drop out of the top 50 Iowa drops 2-3 spots on the RPI. This morning Iowa State droppped to #51 and Iowa dropped to #92 (was at #89 yesterday).

Live-RPI.com

We really needed Nebraska to upset MSU last night, it did not happen. They sit at #104 and them being in the top 100 would be huge since Iowa has to play them twice.

But nothing helps Iowa more than for them to upset Minnesota today. The debates will get more fun if Iowa pulls it off.

Latest posts