2013 NCAA tournament bubble root against list

Ahh, they are on the bubble with a win over Minnesota on Saturday...

I agree, if Iowa was to beat Minnesota at home then the bubble will start getting interesting and we should start seeing Iowa pop up on the bracketologist radar. But it all depends on how much impact a win over Minnesota at home will have on their RPI rank. I know the RPI is not the deciding factor on getting into the tournament but the facts remain no team has ever gotten into the tournament with an RPI in the 80s and there are not many that have made the tournament with an RPI in the 70s. Live-RPI has Iowa at #89, if beating Minnesota can get Iowa into the 70s then the bubble discussion can get serious.

Saturday's Rooting Interest

Duke over Maryland
KSU over Baylor
OSU over Oklahoma
New Mexico over Boise State
CSU over Air Force
Uconn over Villanova
Virginia over North Carolina
UCLA over Stanford
SC over Alabama
Georgia over Ole Miss
Ill add the following, bubble team listed last

St. Joesephs over LaSalle
Kent St over Ohio
Bowling Green over Akron
Colorado over Arizona St
Tennesee over Kentucky

I agree, if Iowa was to beat Minnesota at home then the bubble will start getting interesting and we should start seeing Iowa pop up on the bracketologist radar. But it all depends on how much impact a win over Minnesota at home will have on their RPI rank. I know the RPI is not the deciding factor on getting into the tournament but the facts remain no team has ever gotten into the tournament with an RPI in the 80s and there are not many that have made the tournament with an RPI in the 70s. Live-RPI has Iowa at #89, if beating Minnesota can get Iowa into the 70s then the bubble discussion can get serious.

I think beating Minnesota would be a +10 bump in the RPI. Minnesotas RPI is ridiculous.

The difference between Iowa at 89 and South Dakota St at 73 is 0.01 points in the RPI. I think we easily jump over 75 with a win possibly high 60's if UNI & ISU win. (Va. tech, GardnerWebb, W. Kentucky winning would help too)

To me these games are equally important:

Saturday
Northern Iowa at Drake - Need UNI to stay in the RPI 50-100 (Currently 74)
TCU at Iowa State - Need Iowa State to stay in the RPI 25-50 (Currently 45)
Virginia Tech at NC State - Need Virginia Tech to get below RPI 150 (currently 157)
Michigan State at Nebraska - Need Nebraska to be below RPI 100 (currently 91)

Sunday
Illinois at Northwestern - Need Northwestern to get below RPI 100 (currently 103)
Penn State at Michigan - I know, will never happen but we can dream (currently 201)

Beating MN isn't going to do it. Beating MN and IL will get us much closer. The powers to be will notice that was PSU's closest game in the B1G. After a 4 point loss at Nebby, nothing else compares.

This team ain't ready for dancing. They didn't power out a win. They played a pretty inept team. Newbill scored 10 above his average. Should be easy to shut down for a good team in a close game.

Take the game for what it was worth. Hawks won a road game - positive. Hawks won in Happyville for first time in 7 years...Positive.

Hawks show they can dance....not.

lmao, here we go again

ILHawk, again you have no clue as to how the committee works. The committee sees Iowa beating PSU, not the score, how close it was, or how any certain player did. If they did then Iowa would be an shoo in for the tournament if they looked at all the close loses Iowa has had against the RPI top 50.

If we get punished for barely beating Penn State than we get rewarded for barely losing to Indiana, barely losing to Michigan State, losing by single digits to Ohio State, barely losing to Wisconsin on the road and of course barely losing to Minnesota on the road.

lmao, here we go again

ILHawk, again you have no clue as to how the committee works. The committee sees Iowa beating PSU, not the score, how close it was, or how any certain player did. If they did then Iowa would be an shoo in for the tournament if they looked at all the close loses Iowa has had against the RPI top 50.

Kelly, you have no clue either. Iowa is not going to make it w/o some major fuss which they haven't done. There is a certain amount of subjectivity to this. Being a fan doesn't change that.

Yes, the committee won't look at what the player did. They will look at how games went if they have several equally deserving teams. They will be looking for positives. Close losses won't count. Close wins against very bad teams will, but not in a positive way. If they they are on the bubble with 8 other teams, last night is a negative. A 12 point win on the road not so.

Still my point is that a 2 point win at PSU SHOWS in reality this team is not dance ready. It's simply fan speak. You totally showed your fan - aticism by taking what I said and making into something it is not. This team is not good enough to dance.

We will see where they are at at Nebby. Nebby has beaten the bottom feeders about like us. Many but not all their games are of similar scores.

A loss or another narrow win will show the lack of progress. Win convincingly and we have progress.

Whether or not Iowa is getting better has nothing to do with being Dance ready. They are better.

10-8 Iowa's resume will be better than enough bubble team's resume to get in. That's what matters. Not "major fuss"

Last edited:
What I want to know is, how the heck does Joe Lunardi have Indiana State in his bracket (just out today) at 16-9, while Iowa isn't even listed as one of the first 8 out?

What I want to know is, how the heck does Joe Lunardi have Indiana State in his bracket (just out today) at 16-9, while Iowa isn't even listed as one of the first 8 out?

He obviously values BIG wins more that BAD losses

They beat Miami, Wichita St, Creighton
Lost to Morehead St. Miss.ST, S. Illinois, Drake, Illinois St

I think 5 100+ RPI losses cancels out the wins....Except for the Miami win.

He obviously values BIG wins more that BAD losses

They beat Miami, Wichita St, Creighton
Lost to Morehead St. Miss.ST, S. Illinois, Drake, Illinois St

I think 5 100+ RPI losses cancels out the wins....Except for the Miami win.

Good road/nuetral site wins >>>> bad road losses

Road wins count as 1.4 wins, road losses count as 0.6 losses.

Kelly, you have no clue either. Iowa is not going to make it w/o some major fuss which they haven't done. There is a certain amount of subjectivity to this. Being a fan doesn't change that.

Yes, the committee won't look at what the player did. They will look at how games went if they have several equally deserving teams. They will be looking for positives. Close losses won't count. Close wins against very bad teams will, but not in a positive way. If they they are on the bubble with 8 other teams, last night is a negative. A 12 point win on the road not so.

Still my point is that a 2 point win at PSU SHOWS in reality this team is not dance ready. It's simply fan speak. You totally showed your fan - aticism by taking what I said and making into something it is not. This team is not good enough to dance.

We will see where they are at at Nebby. Nebby has beaten the bottom feeders about like us. Many but not all their games are of similar scores.

A loss or another narrow win will show the lack of progress. Win convincingly and we have progress.

Whether or not Iowa is getting better has nothing to do with being Dance ready. They are better.

All teams except a handful of elite teams have games where they almost lose to bad teams. We are competing against other bubble teams for a spot not top 10 teams.

Good road/nuetral site wins >>>> bad road losses

Road wins count as 1.4 wins, road losses count as 0.6 losses.

From what I can tell, their neutral court win over Miami is their only good neutral court win with one quality road win, which is I agree is more than Iowa. 4 of their last 10 games ended in bad losses. I do agree that they do have some good wins at home. Just can't see that their losses compare with Iowa's losses. What I don't get is why there is that much of a difference between the teams in ol' Joe's eyes.

From what I can tell, their neutral court win over Miami is their only good neutral court win with one quality road win, which is I agree is more than Iowa. 4 of their last 10 games ended in bad losses. I do agree that they do have some good wins at home. Just can't see that their losses compare with Iowa's losses. What I don't get is why there is that much of a difference between the teams in ol' Joe's eyes.

They beat ole Miss on a neutral court. They are definitely in the discussion, hopefully they will just lose a few more games and we can ignore them.

There is no subjectivity to this, the committee and what they look at and don't look at is what it is.

Wrong, last nights win is not a negative or a positive. It was not pretty Iowa got the job done last night. A few weeks ago Iowa lost a similar game on the road at Purdue, a team they had no business losing to. Iowa is not scaring anybody right now, I am sure Penn State looked at this game and felt they could win it and they played like it. Iowa is not exactly playing like a team that is confident playing and winning on the road. Come selection Sunday if Iowa was to somehow get into consideration this game will have zero influence on whether or not Iowa gets in.

You had to go there. While I might be a big fan of Iowa basketball I have always been a realist. I know this team has work to do in order to get consideration, you go to the extreme in the other direction. You think Iowa needs to accomplish the impossible in order to get into the tournament and I see a team that if they beat Minnesota on Sunday will have a tournament resume that is getting close to Saint Mary, Virginia, Indiana State, and California (Lunardi's last 4 in).

One game at a time, honestly I do not feel Iowa will win at Nebraska. Maybe my fan-aticism needs some more work. The fact is when you have a young team, especially at guard, it is tough to win on the road. I was the one on here saying how the Penn State game worried me, everyone thought I was crazy. For the first time all year they found a way to win a close game.

This I agree with.