2013 NCAA tournament bubble root against list

golfingwags

Updated morning 2/15

2/14 was a very good day for Iowa for NCAA bubble hopes. St Mary's, Temple, UMass, St Johns, Stanford all lost.

Currently projected IN
St Mary's (L Gonzaga 2/14, Loyola 2/16)
LaSalle (W St Bonnies 2/13, St Joes 2/16)
Virginia (NC 2/16)
Indiana St (Bradley 2/16)

First 4 OUT
Southern Miss (W Tulane 2/13, East Car 2/16)
St Johns (L Louisville 2/14, South Florida 2/20)
ASU (L Utah 2/13, Colorado 2/16)
Boise St (#19 NM 2/16)

Next 4 OUT
Stanford (L USC 2/14, UCLA 2/16)
Villanova (L Cincy 2/12, UConn 2/16)
UMass (L VCU 2/14, Temple 2/16)
Maryland (#2 Duke 2/16)

Others
Cal (W UCLA 2/14, USC 2/17)
BYU (Portland 2/16)
Alabama (W Georgia 2/12, South Carolina 2/16)
Iowa (W 2/14, Minn 2/17)
Charlotte (SL 2/16)

Dropped off list
Air Force (W UNLV 2/13, #24 CSU 2/16 )

Last edited:
To early for this, if Iowa can some how win the next 2 games then we may want to start watching the bubble. About the only teams worth rooting for that would help Iowa is UNI, Iowa State, and Northwestern. The more they keep winning and climbing the RPI rankings helps Iowa.

Iowa needs to finish at least 6-1 (or at least 5-2 if we beat IU) in the regular season, win our first-round game, then draw anyone but Michigan in the 2nd round. The rest is irrelevant. If these things happen we are in, if they don't we are out.

Iowa needs to finish at least 6-1 (or at least 5-2 if we beat IU) in the regular season, win our first-round game, then draw anyone but Michigan in the 2nd round. The rest is irrelevant. If these things happen we are in, if they don't we are out.

lol, you and I are saying the same thing in every thread. Did we miss any?

To early for this, if Iowa can some how win the next 2 games then we may want to start watching the bubble. About the only teams worth rooting for that would help Iowa is UNI, Iowa State, and Northwestern. The more they keep winning and climbing the RPI rankings helps Iowa.

After putting out the "way too early bubble watch" a few weeks ago, its return this week is more tailored on what Iowa's resume looks like and its chances. The regular bubble watch will be more in-depth in about 10 days or so. At least in regards to the one I write about.

At this point it's all about Iowa. The Hawks need to win a bunch more games and lose no more than 1 or 2 and/or make the deep run into the B1G TEN Tourney Championship game on Sunday.

And, unfortunately, the Hawks should root for Wisky.

Exactly and, I think, root for a second round match-up with them, possibly a 3-6 game.

If Iowa gets the 6th seed, here is my list of teams I would like to see the Hawks draw in the 2nd round of the BTT.

1- Wisky
2- MSU
3- Indiana
4- OSU
5- Michigan

Here's the deal. Whether Iowa goes 5-2 or 6-1 the rest of the way, they will need to win the first round game in the BTT.

Why? Because that's likely going to be a game against Nebraska or NW. You can't have a bad loss that late in the season.

Look for my breakdown of Iowa's resume on this site later today.

As I said a few days ago, 11 total B1G wins is Iowa's magic number IMO.

Either 9-9 and 2-1 in the B1G tourney or 10-8 and win the 1st round in the BTT.

Here's the deal. Whether Iowa goes 5-2 or 6-1 the rest of the way, they will need to win the first round game in the BTT.

Why? Because that's likely going to be a game against Nebraska or NW. You can't have a bad loss that late in the season.

Look for my breakdown of Iowa's resume on this site later today.

WOULD YOU GET IT DONE ALREADY!!!!!!

You have only been talking about it for 2 days now. ;)

(fear my exclamation points, I know you love them)

Add St. Mary's to the root against list. They have a huge week and a half with home games against Gonzaga, BYU and Creighton. Win all 3 or 2 of 3 and they are in pretty good shape. Beat just BYU and it's a different story.

BYU likely played their way out. Absolutely no wins of merit at all and lost at home to San Francisco by double digits over the weekend.

Add St. Mary's to the root against list. They have a huge week and a half with home games against Gonzaga, BYU and Creighton. Win all 3 or 2 of 3 and they are in pretty good shape. Beat just BYU and it's a different story.

BYU likely played their way out. Absolutely no wins of merit at all and lost at home to San Francisco by double digits over the weekend.

St Mary's is a lock, in my opinion. They are simply playing for seeding now, not a spot off the bubble....

If Iowa gets the 6th seed, here is my list of teams I would like to see the Hawks draw in the 2nd round of the BTT.

1- Wisky
2- MSU
3- Indiana
4- OSU
5- Michigan

1 Wisc
2 MSU
3 OSU
4 Indiana

Iowa had no chance against Mich.
And remembering past BTTs, I don't want to see Mich again.

LOL - I agree with everything you said but we can't forfeit. It might be better for our tournament resume based on past history but... I think you are going to have to put Michigan on the list...perhaps like this.

1 - WI
2 - MSU
3 - OSU
4 - IN

5 - MI (please not this...anything but this)

1 Wisc
2 MSU
3 OSU
4 Indiana

Iowa had no chance against Mich.
And remembering past BTTs, I don't want to see Mich again.

Screw it, give us Michigan in that 2nd round. Iowa proved they could play with them for 18 minutes the first time. I bet if you asked the team they would love another crack at them.