2011 Preseason Poll v.1.0

SteveDeace

Post-NFL Early Entrant Preseason Top 10 2011

1. Oklahoma…The return of All-America candidates Ryan Broyles and Travis Lewis makes the Sooners the clear-favorite to start the season #1 with 17 returning starters and several candidates for preseason honors, but road games at Florida State and Oklahoma State are not gimmes.

2. Oregon…Most of the key players on college football’s most explosive offense returns, and the Ducks should be hungry after consecutive BCS bowl defeats. Two tough away games versus LSU and Stanford will define their season.

3. Alabama…Though most of the Tide’s name players are gone, 17 starters still return, including what is likely the most devastating linebacker crew in college football. Trent Richardson must carry the load this fall with Mark Ingram off to the NFL. Crimson Tide could very well be favored in every game on the schedule.

4. Texas A&M…This is the year Mike Sherman has been building towards. With 18 starters returning, including quarterback Ryan Tannehill who sparked a late season run in 2010, there are no excuses this season. The only game the Aggies don’t figure to be favored in is at Oklahoma in November.

5. Boise State…Broncos won’t have as much preseason hype this season, but will still have a very good team led by quarterback Kellen Moore. Season opener against Georgia in Atlanta will set the tone for the season, and Boise State could get a break from Mountain West Conference if it forces TCU to play their game on the blue turf.

6. LSU…The Tigers have the best team returning on paper in the SEC with 16 returning starters, but to survive tough road games at West Virginia, Tennessee, and Alabama senior quarterback Jordan Jefferson is going to have finally become consistent. The season opener at the cathedral that Jerry Jones built versus Oregon could sort of become a BCS semifinal game.

7. Oklahoma State…When Justin Blackmon surprisingly decided to forego the NFL draft that meant the Cowboys may have brought back the best player in college football, regardless of position. A total of 16 starters return, but four road games against 2010 bowl teams won’t be easy, and that doesn’t even count Texas.

8. South Carolina…Steve Spurrier finally took the Gamecocks to the SEC Championship Game, and this season they’re thinking about winning it for the first time with clearly the best team returning in the East Division. Marcus Lattimore could very well be school’s first Heisman Trophy winner since George Rogers in 1980.

9. Notre Dame…Brian Kelly improved the Irish’s win total by two games in year one and should do even better than that with 19 starters returning in South Bend. An argument could be made Notre Dame has the best collection of skill position talent returning in the sport, and the Irish don’t play a team coming off a bowl win on the road until the finale at Stanford.

10. Florida State…Season comes down to E.J. Manuel for the Seminoles, who other than quarterback are clearly the most talented team in the ACC. If Manuel can play as well as he did in a fill-in role in 2009 the schedule is set for Florida State to be a dark horse contender for the national championship.

Honorable Mention
20 other teams that could make noise in 2011 (in alphabetical order):

Arizona State
Arkansas
Baylor
Florida
Georgia
Michigan
Michigan State
Mississippi State
Nebraska
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Southern Mississippi
Stanford
TCU
Texas
Tulsa
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wisconsin

I wouldn't be surprised about Notre Dame having a decent season because their schedule is pretty easy IMO. I like your top 10 but I really hope MSU is a joke.

MSU loses, arguably, their 3 best players on defense (Jones, Rucker, and Hyde). Also their Oline shouldn't be very good either.

Mich I see eventually being better but might be difficult with the change in coaching for the first year.

BTW what are you thoughts on Iowa? I know they lose a lot but I don't think they'll be as bad as people think.

BTW what are you thoughts on Iowa? I know they lose a lot but I don't think they'll be as bad as people think.

After picking the Hawks to go 10-2 in 2010, I would guess Deace's thoughts to be in the 7-5 range.

Once bitten, twice shy

I would say 6-8 wins for Iowa.

6 to 8? You are insane.
I realize I'm a homer but come on.
I think they win 8 with a shot at 9-10 including the bowl win.

Michigan State, Wisconsin to make noise next year?
With MSU I think we learned this year that they were a fraud.
Wisconsin lost their best tailback, their QB, their all American tight end, all American d-end their two best O-lineman and a number of other players...

Yeah, UM being on that list is puzzling. DRob's status is still up in the air (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong though), Forcier is gone, the defense will probably still be horrendous (or at LEAST below average), AND UM will be implementing at least a somewhat new offensive philosophy with RichRod's spread personnel. Color me skeptical that UM is going to turn it around this year.

I'd be willing to bet my house that Iowa finishes better than 8th in the Big Ten this season. Steve, you of all people (someone who has covered Iowa sports for years), should know that the key component to a successful Iowa season is OL play....name me an Iowa team that had a poor season with above average play at OL? The 2011 OL will be probably the best since 08 (maybe equal to that line), and we have a good QB, a RB that appears to be pretty solid, and a couple of pretty good WR's.

Defensively, sure there are question marks, but the beautiful thing about Iowa's D under Norm Parker: players matter less than the scheme. Better players make the scheme more effective, but even when Iowa doesn't have the best talent on D (see 05-07), the defense isn't going to be horrendous because of the conservative nature of the scheme we employ.

Not putting Iowa in there is fine, but to have Michigan over them... eh...

And do people really think Tulsa will do anything? Or are they the new sexy non-BCS pick?

And Jim Harbaugh would "crawl over broken glass" for the Michigan job.

I drop more college football knowledge after a few cups of coffee every morning than Deace has ever given me.

You do drop a lot of something on this board......to bad it's not knowledge.....Just saying.:cool:

Not putting Iowa in there is fine, but to have Michigan over them... eh...

And do people really think Tulsa will do anything? Or are they the new sexy non-BCS pick?

That's easy really. If Iowa fan makes the list then Iowa is in, and Michigan is out. Most fans have a blind spot for their team....

This is classic Deace taking a shot at Iowa.
Ignore him - he won't go away but at least you won't have to deal with his twisted logic.

Latest posts