2011 Preseason Poll v.1.0

This is classic Deace taking a shot at Iowa.
Ignore him - he won't go away but at least you won't have to deal with his twisted logic.

I don't think Deace takes intentional shots at Iowa, and typically, I thoroughly enjoy his commentary, but his bias for UM has him way off in this case.

No way do you put UM over Iowa right now...not this year. I don't have a problem with him leaving Iowa off that list, but to put UM and NW on it and leave Iowa off seems a bit off base to me.

Not putting Iowa in there is fine, but to have Michigan over them... eh...

And do people really think Tulsa will do anything? Or are they the new sexy non-BCS pick?

Tulsa lost their coach. I have no idea why folks would pick Tulsa. It's like picking Louisville after they lost Petrino.

Yeah, UM being on that list is puzzling. DRob's status is still up in the air (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong though), Forcier is gone, the defense will probably still be horrendous (or at LEAST below average), AND UM will be implementing at least a somewhat new offensive philosophy with RichRod's spread personnel. Color me skeptical that UM is going to turn it around this year.

I'd be willing to bet my house that Iowa finishes better than 8th in the Big Ten this season. Steve, you of all people (someone who has covered Iowa sports for years), should know that the key component to a successful Iowa season is OL play....name me an Iowa team that had a poor season with above average play at OL? The 2011 OL will be probably the best since 08 (maybe equal to that line), and we have a good QB, a RB that appears to be pretty solid, and a couple of pretty good WR's.

Defensively, sure there are question marks, but the beautiful thing about Iowa's D under Norm Parker: players matter less than the scheme. Better players make the scheme more effective, but even when Iowa doesn't have the best talent on D (see 05-07), the defense isn't going to be horrendous because of the conservative nature of the scheme we employ.

Absolutely NAILED it!

Deace is correct about Iowa. 6-8 wins. Anyone thinking otherwise IS a homer. There is nothing wrong with that, however.

Deace is wrong about MICH. They will finish lower than IOWA. 4-6 wins.

Is Michigan going to switch from a spread O to more of a Pro style this coming year? If so isn't DRob going to struggle with that since he isn't exactly great at drop back passing? I don't see their D getting things figured out this year so that doesn't make me believe they are going to be a team to do well this year. IMO.

Tulsa lost their coach. I have no idea why folks would pick Tulsa. It's like picking Louisville after they lost Petrino.

Tulsa brings back almost their entire team and they dismantled a 10-2 Hawaii team at Hawaii in the bowl game, they hang with BCS foes year in and year out and I think they have some continuity on their staff- not 100% sure about that though. They are so efficient on offense that if their young D improves they have a shot to improve their record.