2010 anyone?

As a cyclone fan who follows both schools. I think the worst case scenario is 9-3 best case 12-0 but probably favoring the high side. 11-1 with a lose to state would be just fine by me. Lol. But in all reality Iowa is going to be a tough team with incredible defense. Good luck on the upcoming season

It's hard to predict as Kirk's teams have a way of defying expectations. How will the coaches and players handle elevated expectations? Will our opponents sell-out like Iowa State has in the past in order to get some revenge? People say the west division is weak, but I disagree. Nebraska is a proud program. Wisky has their own Hayden Fry in Barry Alavarez. Northwestern has a coach very much respected by his peers. Illinois may have coaching issues but they also have a nice backyard to fish in. Kill brought Minny back to respectability and they did win a bowl game last year. Purdue is down but not too long ago they were legit.

I'm sure CJ and King are telling their compatriots there is unfinished business in Iowa City. A lot of guys transferred in the off-season but the guys still here aren't afraid of anybody. The schedule sets up nice for repeating as division champs. Achieving beyond that usually requires some divine intervention. But Sash and Calloway are up in heaven right now working on that aspect so hope springs eternal.

Barring injuries, we will be an elite team on paper with respect to talent and experience. Offensively, we should be able to roll along, I am not worried at all about the wide receiver position. All we need there is a deep THREAT, not an NFL caliber receiver. We have some fast guys that can stretch the defense and keep secondaries honest. Also, our coaches have confidence in our quarterback to let it fly on occassion, and sometimes an incompletion is just as effective as a long pass. Sometimes better, because instead of scoring a quick touchdown, we control the offense with our hogs up front and our studs carrying the ball. We have a lot of elite weapons here at running back, quarterback and tight end.

However, our achilles heel, as it always is with our teams, is our defensive line. To me, last year, Jaleel Johnson and Nathan Bazata were just as valuable as any other player on the team. To be able to control the line of scrimmage, keep the linemen off of our linebackers, contain the quarterback up the middle and stop the run on first down, all with very little help (Faith was it), was in my eyes heroic. And I am not exaggerating. Our season will depend on these three guys and hopefully some surprise development of depth. They will be elite for 55-65 plays per game. However, if we get into a situation where we dont have an early lead to make the opposition one dimensional, turnovers, and or our defensive ends under perform, we will be in a dog fight if we give up 80, 90 or 100 plays. Other coaches will try to exploit this, to do anything to run a lot of plays, even if they are fruitless. This is typically why Northwestern and Indiana give us trouble.

I could almost just as easily point out 2003, 2004 and 2009 as teams expected to do well. I know 2010 hurt, a lot, but there are just as many successes as disappointments in regards to Iowa expectations. I think most of use, at least myself, look at the idea of "Iowa is good when they aren't expected to and crap when they have high expectations". Though, I don't think this is an actual trend.

I could almost just as easily point out 2003, 2004 and 2009 as teams expected to do well. I know 2010 hurt, a lot, but there are just as many successes as disappointments in regards to Iowa expectations. I think most of use, at least myself, look at the idea of "Iowa is good when they aren't expected to and crap when they have high expectations". Though, I don't think this is an actual trend.

2003? I do not think expectations were that high for that season I think most reasonable fans thought we would take a step back and pleasantly surprised when Iowa didn't. The 05-07 seasons changed everything. ' the next man in' mantra you realized doesn't work every time. After 08 and 09 the theme became Iowa is better when they are flying under the radar. If I am not mistaken KF even has said something to that effect.

2003? I do not think expectations were that high for that season I think most reasonable fans thought we would take a step back and pleasantly surprised when Iowa didn't. The 05-07 seasons changed everything. ' the next man in' mantra you realized doesn't work every time. After 08 and 09 the theme became Iowa is better when they are flying under the radar. If I am not mistaken KF even has said something to that effect.

You're right, there wasn't a ton of expectation in 03, but I'd say it's been about 50/50 outside of that. For me, at least, I had legitimately high expectations in 04, 05, 09, and 2010. I think it's no surprise that KF, or any other coach, would say that. It's certainly easier to motivate a team striving for the pedestal rather than trying to stay atop it.

Anybody want to say anything now? Is this just the fact that the offense dropped the ball and killed the defense by keeping them out there for so long or is this the year we lose all the close games we won last year? Right now Minny, Wisky, Muck Fichigan and Nebby scare me. Otherwise not so much. If we can win two of those maybe we can get to SD and the Holiday Bowl.

Anybody want to say anything now? Is this just the fact that the offense dropped the ball and killed the defense by keeping them out there for so long or is this the year we lose all the close games we won last year? Right now Minny, Wisky, Muck Fichigan and Nebby scare me. Otherwise not so much. If we can win two of those maybe we can get to SD and the Holiday Bowl.

I think it's too early to predict the season yet. While we learned a lot about ourselves and possibly rethinking our expectations of how good Iowa is, I've seen what looked like good football and some ugly football from Minny, Wiscy, Michigan, and Nebby. I'm anxious ready for the Rutgers game to get here to see how we respond. Glad the OOC is over with now lets move on to what really matters.

Much of the problem with 2010 was injuries. Tarpinian was a beast of a linebacker and his injury along with one other linebacker occurred mid season right at the start of the swoon.

The hawks also lost I think their starting right guard and he was replaced by a smallish senior backup center who tried like heck but he was undersized and got defeated on a lot of plays.

Bottom line, in 2010 several injuries were key, just like Scherrf and Donnal both going out for the season against PSU in 2012. The hawks dont have the overall depth to withstand this.

Now we saw the OFF line against a good front 7 defense without two starters and it did not look good.

Hawks need a unified Off line of starters and a good front 7. If Bowers is not stopping the run a change needs to be made because the hawks will die the slow death if they cant stop the run.

Latest posts